The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Could I manage 120 credits at once?

Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice really - i am studying for a psychology degree with the OU and would like to finish as soon as possible really so I can get on with whatever training/work I want to do next. I currently work 30 hours a week, but do this over 3 ten hour days and don't have any other commitments e.g. children. I was wondering how manageable you think it would be for me to study 120 credits at once? The modules wouldn't run side by side, the overlap would be for about 4 months, and one of them would be level 2 and the other level 3.

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

It's sure possible but it wouldn't be easy and you'd have to study flat out on the days you are not at work. There will be some weeks when deadlines clash so you'll have to be really organised and motivated. I did 60 credits a year and worked full time, so I'm sure part time work and 120 is possible, and plenty of people do it, but it's hard. You can't really have a slack week! The OU may contact you to discuss it if you do register for them all.

Hope that helps! What subjects are you thinking?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Blou17
Hi,

It's sure possible but it wouldn't be easy and you'd have to study flat out on the days you are not at work. There will be some weeks when deadlines clash so you'll have to be really organised and motivated. I did 60 credits a year and worked full time, so I'm sure part time work and 120 is possible, and plenty of people do it, but it's hard. You can't really have a slack week! The OU may contact you to discuss it if you do register for them all.

Hope that helps! What subjects are you thinking?

Thanks for your reply, its really helpful :smile: i am studying psychology and the two modules I would be overlapping for the 4 months would be child development (level 2) and cognitive psychology (level 3)...I'm kind of thinking it would be worth it to graduate a whole year earlier!
Reply 3
Sounds interesting! I guess you can try and get as ahead as you can before the four months overlap. I'm sure you can do it with motivation and organisation! :smile:

I did DES212 Exploring Psychology or something like that, I enjoyed it but it was the only Psychology module I did.

Good Luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Blou17
Sounds interesting! I guess you can try and get as ahead as you can before the four months overlap. I'm sure you can do it with motivation and organisation! :smile:

I did DES212 Exploring Psychology or something like that, I enjoyed it but it was the only Psychology module I did.

Good Luck!

Thank you :smile: I am studying DSE212 now, it is a good module but I am thinking probably easier than the next two!
Reply 5
Hi,
I work 24 hours a week which is three 8 hour days and I'm studying 120 credits at the moment, both level 2 and I did 120 level 1 credits last year. I won't down play it, it is hard especially with the psychology modules because they're quite heavy work loads, I usually manage to enjoy a weekend if I'm not working so it is definitely doable, it just means that you may have days like I do when you're sat in front of the computer for hours, but as you say it is worth it to graduate sooner because I'm like you and I just want to crack on with it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Simone.xox
Hi,
I work 24 hours a week which is three 8 hour days and I'm studying 120 credits at the moment, both level 2 and I did 120 level 1 credits last year. I won't down play it, it is hard especially with the psychology modules because they're quite heavy work loads, I usually manage to enjoy a weekend if I'm not working so it is definitely doable, it just means that you may have days like I do when you're sat in front of the computer for hours, but as you say it is worth it to graduate sooner because I'm like you and I just want to crack on with it :smile:

Thank you for your reply :smile: well that definitely makes it seem more manageable....which two modules it is that you are doubling up? And how many hours per week would you say you spend on studying?
Reply 7
Original post by Minniemousexx
Thank you for your reply :smile: well that definitely makes it seem more manageable....which two modules it is that you are doubling up? And how many hours per week would you say you spend on studying?

I am studying DD208 (Welfare, Crime & Society) and DSE212 (Exploring Psychology), the psychology module is quite a work load whereas the social policy one is easier but unfortunately really boring! I would say I usually spent about 10-15 hours a week studying, it depends on assignments and things, I would prefer to spend more but I have quite a busy lifestyle and I get stressed easily!
Reply 8
I am studying DD208 (Welfare, Crime & Society) and DSE212 (Exploring Psychology), the psychology module is quite a work load whereas the social policy one is easier but unfortunately really boring! I would say I usually spent about 10-15 hours a week studying, it depends on assignments and things, I would prefer to spend more but I have quite a busy lifestyle and I get stressed easily!

Wow you are doing well, I am doing DSE212 on its own at the moment and spending 10-15 hours a week! Really enjoying the module though :smile: When do you expect to graduate?
Reply 9
Hi,

Bear in mind though Level 2 modules aren't as taxing as Level 3 and you can stagger level 2 modules to fit 120 credits in the year. But for Level 3 they are moving over to Oct starts to tie in with traditional academic year which means all exams are going to be in same exam period, TMA deadlines likely to be close together which could be stressful if you have to work as well. It's definitely doable for level 1 and possibly Level 2 but I would split L3 especially as they are the modules used in the classification it's best not to over stretch yourself. But at the end of the day it's your choice. :smile:
Original post by laalNick
Bear in mind though Level 2 modules aren't as taxing as Level 3 and you can stagger level 2 modules to fit 120 credits in the year. But for Level 3 they are moving over to Oct starts to tie in with traditional academic year which means all exams are going to be in same exam period, TMA deadlines likely to be close together which could be stressful if you have to work as well. It's definitely doable for level 1 and possibly Level 2 but I would split L3 especially as they are the modules used in the classification it's best not to over stretch yourself. But at the end of the day it's your choice. :smile:

Looking at Level 3 modules and being aware of the fact that I'm going to be studying 120 credits at once is pretty daunting but if I have to take another additional year to complete my degree then I'll never finish it, I just want to work full time! Where did you hear about the October starts? Does that mean I'd be doing two modules at once for the whole year?
Wow you are doing well, I am doing DSE212 on its own at the moment and spending 10-15 hours a week! Really enjoying the module though :smile: When do you expect to graduate?

I should be graduating next year :smile:
I'm on the Criminology & Psychological Studies pathway which takes three years full time :smile:
Reply 12
Looking at Level 3 modules and being aware of the fact that I'm going to be studying 120 credits at once is pretty daunting but if I have to take another additional year to complete my degree then I'll never finish it, I just want to work full time! Where did you hear about the October starts? Does that mean I'd be doing two modules at once for the whole year?

It's been mentioned a lot on various faculty and OUSA forums over the last year or so. As most modules are 30credits (some are 60) it would probably mean doing 4 modules a year to make up the full year of 120 credits. Even if did a 60 credit module you have to remember it's twice the work of a 30 so it is like doing 2 modules but with just the one end exam/EMA. That's why it's easier to stagger module starts if you can but it depends on the modules and the levels. I work full time and I'm doing 2 x 30 credit Level 3 modules at once to finish my degree and it eats into a lot of my time. It's like 40hrs at work and another 20-30 studying at times. I did try to do 3 but it was just too much. 120 credits a year is like full time study i.e. like a full time job. It's not totally impossible but it is difficult. You don't want to create too much stress as that will really make you feel like quitting.
It's been mentioned a lot on various faculty and OUSA forums over the last year or so. As most modules are 30credits (some are 60) it would probably mean doing 4 modules a year to make up the full year of 120 credits. Even if did a 60 credit module you have to remember it's twice the work of a 30 so it is like doing 2 modules but with just the one end exam/EMA. That's why it's easier to stagger module starts if you can but it depends on the modules and the levels. I work full time and I'm doing 2 x 30 credit Level 3 modules at once to finish my degree and it eats into a lot of my time. It's like 40hrs at work and another 20-30 studying at times. I did try to do 3 but it was just too much. 120 credits a year is like full time study i.e. like a full time job. It's not totally impossible but it is difficult. You don't want to create too much stress as that will really make you feel like quitting.

I would prefer to do it one after another, but the longer I'm doing my degree means the longer I'm waiting to work full time and move out :/
Reply 14
I would prefer to do it one after another, but the longer I'm doing my degree means the longer I'm waiting to work full time and move out :/

I feel you there. I've been doing this nearly 6 years and the in the last year I've moved out and bought a house and got new job based on the OU stuff so glad I took the time. Rather than rush it and do badly and get stressed in the process. I would probably overlap/do simultaneously modules at level1 and level 2 as it'll be easier then split the L3. I don't know how the progression rules work now as they've changed a lot of rules but you used to be able to do L1 modules whilst doing L2 etc.. as long as they don't depend on each other. Which made it slightly easier as you could do multiple modules without all being at same level therefore sort of splitting the difficulty. But i think the new rules are favoring must do the 120 of Level 1 before can move to L2 and so on.
I've always worked full time whilst doing this and upped the workload with a new, more stressful, more mentally draining job based on my OU studies so you don't have to wait till the very end.
I feel you there. I've been doing this nearly 6 years and the in the last year I've moved out and bought a house and got new job based on the OU stuff so glad I took the time. Rather than rush it and do badly and get stressed in the process. I would probably overlap/do simultaneously modules at level1 and level 2 as it'll be easier then split the L3. I don't know how the progression rules work now as they've changed a lot of rules but you used to be able to do L1 modules whilst doing L2 etc.. as long as they don't depend on each other. Which made it slightly easier as you could do multiple modules without all being at same level therefore sort of splitting the difficulty. But i think the new rules are favoring must do the 120 of Level 1 before can move to L2 and so on.
I've always worked full time whilst doing this and upped the workload with a new, more stressful, more mentally draining job based on my OU studies so you don't have to wait till the very end.

You have actually made me think.
I could do my level 3 modules and I'd be able to increase my hours at work to 30 a week because I'd only be doing 60 credits. Level two is stressing me out and whilst I do want my degree it's not going to put me into a job, I'm already in the kind of job that I want for the future? So maybe I'd be better working more hours and dividing my modules up?
Reply 16
You have actually made me think.
I could do my level 3 modules and I'd be able to increase my hours at work to 30 a week because I'd only be doing 60 credits. Level two is stressing me out and whilst I do want my degree it's not going to put me into a job, I'm already in the kind of job that I want for the future? So maybe I'd be better working more hours and dividing my modules up?

It's just whatever works best for you. All I know is that I couldn't have managed 120 credits a year. The closest I came was 90 with staggering the modules. I get stressed doing the two modules at once at the best of times. I think unless you know you are really strict with yourself and can force yourself to sit down for a regular time period and sacrifice other things and don't stress as much as I do then 120 is doable but I would recommended taking the time. It sounds like you are already in a job you want to do so there's no rush? The job can help as it's building your experience up whilst you can finish your degree which will look better on your CV if you choose to job search as you'll have good experience and qualifications.
Reply 17
Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice really - i am studying for a psychology degree with the OU and would like to finish as soon as possible really so I can get on with whatever training/work I want to do next. I currently work 30 hours a week, but do this over 3 ten hour days and don't have any other commitments e.g. children. I was wondering how manageable you think it would be for me to study 120 credits at once? The modules wouldn't run side by side, the overlap would be for about 4 months, and one of them would be level 2 and the other level 3.

Thank you :smile:

120 credits amounts to about 35 to 40 hours of study a week. Combined with a 30 hour a week job. You could be looking at 10 hours a day of either study or work for every day of the week. No day off. Then there's travelling to take into consideration.

It's not something I could do. But then I have health conditions. Only you know if it's something you think you can do.
It's just whatever works best for you. All I know is that I couldn't have managed 120 credits a year. The closest I came was 90 with staggering the modules. I get stressed doing the two modules at once at the best of times. I think unless you know you are really strict with yourself and can force yourself to sit down for a regular time period and sacrifice other things and don't stress as much as I do then 120 is doable but I would recommended taking the time. It sounds like you are already in a job you want to do so there's no rush? The job can help as it's building your experience up whilst you can finish your degree which will look better on your CV if you choose to job search as you'll have good experience and qualifications.

In all honesty I am good at keeping up with my work but I'm not super strict and the prospect of doing 120 credits of level 3, research projects and exams included is pretty terrifying!
Reply 19
In all honesty I am good at keeping up with my work but I'm not super strict and the prospect of doing 120 credits of level 3, research projects and exams included is pretty terrifying!

Yeah there is a reason why 120 credits is full time!!

Quick Reply

Latest