The Student Room Group

mental health nurse - previous mental illness

Hi,

I have applied for mental health nursing. In the past I have suffered with some mental health illness which has now been treated and I am fully recovered. Due to my experiences I wish to go into mental health nursing. My question is, has anyone ever experienced discrimination in the field due to previous illness. I am really worried that one day I will get rejected for a job etc because of my past experiences if I choose to tell them or they find out.

Thank you
Reply 1
They can't not take you on because of that! It's against the law, if they do then you need to take it further!
You'll be absolutely fine, especially if you've been recovered for a while! Try not to let it worry you at all! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by charlyswahn
Hi,

I have applied for mental health nursing. In the past I have suffered with some mental health illness which has now been treated and I am fully recovered. Due to my experiences I wish to go into mental health nursing. My question is, has anyone ever experienced discrimination in the field due to previous illness. I am really worried that one day I will get rejected for a job etc because of my past experiences if I choose to tell them or they find out.

Thank you

Hi,
I'm a nursing assistant in a mental health unit and I also have experience of mental illness. You will probably have to go through a few forms about your health, and then be in contact with occupational health but in my case they just asked if I was recovered to which I agreed. It is a challenging but highly rewarding area of work :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Simone.xox
Hi,
I'm a nursing assistant in a mental health unit and I also have experience of mental illness. You will probably have to go through a few forms about your health, and then be in contact with occupational health but in my case they just asked if I was recovered to which I agreed. It is a challenging but highly rewarding area of work :smile:

Thankyou very much :smile: I was worried that they would discriminate.
Reply 5
Original post by charlyswahn
Thankyou very much :smile: I was worried that they would discriminate.

Not at all, as long as you're well then everything's fine :smile:
Reply 6
Brilliant thankyou! :smile:
Reply 7
I have been in the same position, if anything it will help you to relate. Plus, it is only up to you what you disclose to your employers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending