The Student Room Group

House mate doesn't want to pay petrol money, "because you are going that way anyway".

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
So if your neighbour has a spare room you should be able to move in and not pay anything towards their mortgage/rent?

You'll be contributing to their electricity or gas bills. And short term trip is different to moving in, more permanent arrangement.

Original post by 2710
Surely whether it is fine or not is down to the driver and NOT the passenger? How do you have the audacity to say it's fine? Just because it may not cost the driver does not mean it's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because they are both going the same way? Therefore I shouldn't have to pay them. Of course they don't have to let me into their car, but if you do, you shouldn't expect me to pay for petrol.
Reply 461
Depends what kind of person you are, I wouldn't charge my friends if it wasn't out of my way to be honest. And I wouldn't expect to pay my friend if they gave me a lift, its just a nice thing for them to do without profiteering. and the whole argument that you weigh more and so cost loads more petrol is just stupid, it hardly makes any difference at all, we're talking pennies!
Reply 462
Original post by hyenas.ma
to every one saying he shouldn't charge because he going that way any way... stop to consider, that's like saying to the conductor on the train im not paying because the train is 'going that way any way' which is true because it make no difference whether he is on the train or not regardless the train will go on its route. :cool:

no its not, a train exists solely to make money and profit. however this person is supposed to be a friend why would you want to make profit off of your friend?
Reply 463
Original post by DZJX
no its not, a train exists solely to make money and profit. however this person is supposed to be a friend why would you want to make profit off of your friend?

For a start off I don't think they're friends as such just flat sharers and I think it is more about the attitude than the money. There doesn't seem to be any reciprocation which tends to exist in real friendships and even in dealings between relative strangers where some measure of appreciation is generally forthcoming.

If I were the passenger my thoughts would be "hey, by the action of giving me a lift you've saved me money, if I give you some money then I can do a favour in return" You see I'd be grateful enough to want to do the driver a favour in return and I'd still be in pocket with regards to the bus/train fare.

If the passenger was the kind of person who did a lot of favours round the house and cooked and cleaned or generally contributed to the wellbeing of the driver then it wouldn't be so bad not paying cold hard cash but the person in question here seems to be take take take all the time with no consideration for the other person.
I would personally drive him free of charge because I am not a ''what is in it for me'' person(most people are like this)...but I always offer some petrol money towards journeys that I am getting.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 465
Original post by Mr_Sinister
I would personally drive him free of charge because I am not a ''what is in it for me'' person(most people are like this)...but I always offer some petrol money towards journeys that I am getting.

I don't think the OP is really in it for themselves I just get the impression they formulated that stance after a bad track record of "attitude" over a number of things from the passenger concerned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending