The Student Room Group

AQA M3 - general question

I'm quite a way of trying this unit but I've got really interested in Mechanics. I've been using the "Advanced maths for AQA" series of books (I'm a mature student self teaching) but have recently read that the M3 book does not cover the current syllabus. Has anyone got info about a text book that does cover the syllabus?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by maggiehodgson
I'm quite a way of trying this unit but I've got really interested in Mechanics. I've been using the "Advanced maths for AQA" series of books (I'm a mature student self teaching) but have recently read that the M3 book does not cover the current syllabus. Has anyone got info about a text book that does cover the syllabus?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the current AQA syllabus, although I do have some old AQA books that cover just about everything!

What I would say is that most boards cover all the topics required, but not necessarily in the same order - so between AQA, Edexcel,OCR and MEI you'll find core topics like SHM, motion in a circle, elastic strings and springs, advanced collisions etc covered somewhere between M2-M4 (typically).

So you could (depending on your financial position!) get a variety of texts from different boards to cover the topics listed for your syllabus, and then check some past papers for the style of question.

If you're really getting into Mechanics, it might be worth investing in a comprehensive textbook that deals with the subject as a whole, rather than in the artificial modular way - 2 pretty solid texts are "Understanding Mechanics" by Sadler & Thorning and "Mechanics for A level" by Bostock & Chandler.
Original post by davros
I'm not familiar with the current AQA syllabus, although I do have some old AQA books that cover just about everything!

What I would say is that most boards cover all the topics required, but not necessarily in the same order - so between AQA, Edexcel,OCR and MEI you'll find core topics like SHM, motion in a circle, elastic strings and springs, advanced collisions etc covered somewhere between M2-M4 (typically).

So you could (depending on your financial position!) get a variety of texts from different boards to cover the topics listed for your syllabus, and then check some past papers for the style of question.

If you're really getting into Mechanics, it might be worth investing in a comprehensive textbook that deals with the subject as a whole, rather than in the artificial modular way - 2 pretty solid texts are "Understanding Mechanics" by Sadler & Thorning and "Mechanics for A level" by Bostock & Chandler.

Thanks Davros. I think I might do the Understanding Mechanics - it looks quite friendly from the "look inside" on Amazon.

Quick Reply

Latest