The Student Room Group

Now EU want to ban British number plates

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Fantstic news, hopefully means tits with personalised number plates are going to feel as stupid as they look.
Original post by gladders
They do ask: all proposals go to the Council of Ministers and the European Parliament and have to be approved by both because the Commission can progress with them. The Parliament is elected by us, and the Council is made up of government ministers, also elected by us, and they get to vote, once the UK Parliament authorises them to, based on population size.

1) I don't elect david cameron, his party does, and I have no way of influencing his vote. the council of ministers is clearly meant to be a federal senate with its single seat per member state format, but usually, democratic senates are elected.
2) MEPs have no power to amend or propose - they are a rubber stamp. legislation in the EU is usually rushed through and there is never any time to debate anything. MEPs are also extremely ambiguous in their election - we have no idea what they could be asked to vote on. also MEPs in this country don't consistute a majority of MEPs (hardly so) so whether we all as a country voted MEPs that opposed this, we'd still probably have absolutely no effect on this going through.
3) technically the commission can legislate without either if it really wanted to - if it did that though I'd not feel any worse - it's all pretty undemocratic

When was the last time your MP asked you about a Bill going through the UK Parliament?

Heavens above, you need to be proactive. With the UK Parliament, you'd write to your MP, to a minister, to a select committee. It's exactly the same with the EU: write to your MEP, to a Parliamentary committee, to the British minister responsible, or to the European Commission.

yeah, okay, you could also say this about a entire-world government - if they collectively do something you don't like, write to your local global government representative - they'll sort everything out. no problem. don't worry about them forming a tiny minority of the representation and how they as national MEPs for the country aren't going to make up a majority, not to worry - writing to them will definitely make a difference. a political union of over 300 million people and my local representative is going to sort it all out for me
(edited 10 years ago)
MEPs need something to do I suppose. The sooner we get out of the malignant tumour that is the EU the better. America gets along fine with individual State license plates but apparently the EU deems this issue of great importance. What an awful, authoritarian, meddling institution it is.
Reply 23
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
1) I don't elect david cameron, his party does, and I have no way of influencing his vote.

Yes you do: by voting in the other guy, by writing to your MP who will be informed of your concerns and will write to the minister or ask questions in the House, or inform a select committee.

the council of ministers is clearly meant to be a federal senate with its single seat per member state format, but usually, democratic senates are elected.

No they're not, but that's beside the point. It's not the upper house of a legislature; it doesn't function like one, and debates procedure within it is not parliamentary but diplomatic. It's as parliamentary as a meeting of the G7.

2) MEPs have no power to amend or propose - they are a rubber stamp.

False.

legislation in the EU is usually rushed through and there is never any time to debate anything.

False. Proposals take literally years. There are still things being debated that were proposed in 2012.

MEPs are also extremely ambiguous in their election - we have no idea what they could be asked to vote on.

Then ask them. Get informed and quiz them. You have no idea what UK MPs will be quizzed on either!

also MEPs in this country don't consistute a majority of MEPs (hardly so) so whether we all as a country voted MEPs that opposed this, we'd still probably have absolutely no effect on this going through.

By that logic, Scotland should withdraw from the UK because it can be outvoted by England.

3) technically the commission can legislate without either if it really wanted to - if it did that though I'd not feel any worse - it's all pretty undemocratic

What do you mean 'technically'? It has no such power. There are certain fields where it only needs the consent of the Council of Ministers (such as on external relations), but at all times the Commission is kept on an extremely tight leash. If you can find an example of the Commission acting by fiat I would be fascinated.

yeah, okay, you could also say this about a entire-world government - if they collectively do something you don't like, write to your local global government representative - they'll sort everything out. no problem. don't worry about them forming a tiny minority of the representation and how they as national MEPs for the country aren't going to make up a majority, not to worry - writing to them will definitely make a difference. a political union of over 300 million people and my local representative is going to sort it all out for me

You realise this criticism basically undermines all organised government, right? Are you an anarchist?
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes you do: by voting in the other guy, by writing to your MP who will be informed of your concerns and will write to the minister or ask questions in the House, or inform a select committee.

no I don't; I didn't vote for a conservative anyway
and even if I did, that is far too remote. if you're saying that I can influence the EU's fundamental dynamics by voting for one MP over another (and I have no power to select one conservative local candidate over another unless I'm a party member which takes time and money) who will vote for one other party MP over other, who will then become a member of the council of ministers then that's like saying "you can vote for a blind man to select a fellow blind man to walk across a busy-traffic road to hopefully not get hit and make it to the other side" - I am, for all intents and purposes, blind over what candidate my MP is going to vote for in the future because the race would never have crystalised in time. and writing to my local MP (a liberal democrat) is going to do *nothing* about which candidate a conservative votes for. and if you're honestly going to tell me that, if I did have a conservative MP, writing to them is going to do anything when they have no meaningful accountability over this one single issue which nobody would care about during an election, then again you're asserting extremely disportionate claims and representing remoteness to be significance.

No they're not, but that's beside the point. It's not the upper house of a legislature; it doesn't function like one, and debates procedure within it is not parliamentary but diplomatic. It's as parliamentary as a meeting of the G7.

explain, then? do they not operate over legislation like an upper house? do they not have any affect on the operation of the EU parliament?

well technically they can't amend with an independence because they need to ask the commission first, which was what I was trying to imply

False. Proposals take literally years. There are still things being debated that were proposed in 2012.

not really

Then ask them. Get informed and quiz them. You have no idea what UK MPs will be quizzed on either!

1) ask them about something I don't even know about yet?! how can I possibly predict that the EU is going to be legislating over number plates as part of the EU's main decision making area? how long is an MEP's manifesto, exactly? I just read the conservative EU mainifesto from 2009 - most of the provisions are things like "we won't join the euro", "we will fight to bring down global poverty" - really, how am I meant to know what they're going to do? this no doubt goes for all the other parties
2) I have a somewhat comfortable idea of what MPs are voting on - they have somewhat clear manifestos that cover certain areas of policy but for MEPs - the problem with MPs over MEPs is that they lie, not that they don't even tell you what they're going to vote on

By that logic, Scotland should withdraw from the UK because it can be outvoted by England.

I'm sorry but you're treating this issue extremely disingenuously - you're essentially saying that to have any concept of democracy is to devolve it to the smallest number of people - but that standard democracy doesn't work because by doing this you could devolve it down to individuals, who constitute a majority of their person-hood/self determination. I am at least trying to argue the concept of democracy with proportionality, necessity and reasonableness - the UK is and has been a nation state in a comfortable, consistent, certain and stable manner without serious disagreements or lack of democratic faith for many years in this form (especially seeing as scotland probably aren't going to leave, and as well, at leas they have their own parliament which grants them de facto sovereignty over domestic issues to a large extent - but either way if they democratically vote to leave then that's fine, it's their right to do so) while in this country, we don't look at ourselves as a member of "the country of europe" we look at ourselves as member of a country of the UK, as british citizens, and as far as the EU goes, I doubt I will be able to get a correct answer from strangers on the street if I asked "who is the current speaker of the EU parliament?" or "who is the president of the EU commission?" - nobody knows anything about the EU and who runs it - it's completely beyond most people because it's so opaque with all its bureaucracy, irrelevance and lack of elections. again, we could have a global government where people like you will tell me if I don't like the unelected leader I could vote for another party in order to get them out of power - it's a laughable excuse for a plan and it just serves the point I'm making that we are essentially powerless and without a majority in the EU. we have a majority here as a country of citizens, but as one country as part of a continent of countries that don't see themselves in union with one another (or we deny it out of disbelief), we only see each other as countries, not citizens - europe isn't a country, it never was, there is too much difference between peoples, and this is why democracy in the EU is so difficult

What do you mean 'technically'? It has no such power. There are certain fields where it only needs the consent of the Council of Ministers (such as on external relations), but at all times the Commission is kept on an extremely tight leash. If you can find an example of the Commission acting by fiat I would be fascinated.

no, it can legislate by itself without any say from either body in certain cases - that's what I was saying, I wasn't talking about the council of ministers. and in terms of EU directives (de facto orders of the commission):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Union_directives

You realise this criticism basically undermines all organised government, right? Are you an anarchist?

no, democracy is relative seeing as it's relative to certain understandings and social factors that are the mantle of a political system such as the ideas of citizenship, collectivity, ideas of authority's legitimacy, etc - if you're objective, you can either have a world government or you can have no democracy at all, and neither are good in any light, so you must balance it with ideas of nation hood and legitimate authority - the UK is a nation and the citizens of it consider themselves part of that nation, whereas we aren't "citizens of the EU" in that same way - if we do, it's out of technicality. in my opinion, you could devolve the UK down or federalise it without any problems, it's the idea that you're suggesting that isn't considering the fact that smaller yet recognised jurisdictions are the most satisfying for people because they are in satisfying contact with their representatives, but if you have tiny towns that have full democratic control over their own affairs, this undermines the idea of nationhood completely if each town can effectively be legally its own country when nobody sees it like this and thus it won't be a legitimised or recognised political body, just like the EU but in reverse. if you have a huge mass of the globe as its own government where there are probably about 10+ languages involved, everyone will be dissociated with it politically because nobody will feel connected with any of the citizens other than the ones from their own country. that's simply how it works. and really, if you like democracy yet you like the EU I don't understand how you can rationalise the dual-workings of both without using that principle I had used against you - proportionality.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
no I don't; I didn't vote for a conservative anyway

It is still valid, MPs and the government are meant to be concerned about everyone in the country, not just those that voted for them.

and even if I did, that is far too remote. if you're saying that I can influence the EU's fundamental dynamics by voting for one MP over another (and I have no power to select one conservative local candidate over another unless I'm a party member which takes time and money) who will vote for one other party MP over other, who will then become a member of the council of ministers then that's like saying "you can vote for a blind man to select a fellow blind man to walk across a busy-traffic road to hopefully not get hit and make it to the other side" - I am, for all intents and purposes, blind over what candidate my MP is going to vote for in the future because the race would never have crystalised in time. and writing to my local MP (a liberal democrat) is going to do *nothing* about which candidate a conservative votes for. and if you're honestly going to tell me that, if I did have a conservative MP, writing to them is going to do anything when they have no meaningful accountability over this one single issue which nobody would care about during an election, then again you're asserting extremely disportionate claims and representing remoteness to be significance.

It seems to me, then, that your problem is not to do with the EU than with the whole concept of representative democracy, which is something entirely different. You're criticising the EU for something that the UK is equally suffering from.

explain, then? do they not operate over legislation like an upper house? do they not have any affect on the operation of the EU parliament?

The Council receives the proposals (and can also call upon the Commission to write up proposals on things the Council wants it to do), and the ministers of the Member States state their positions, for, against, and conditional approval subject to criticisms and questions. Then a whole bunch of informal negotiations take place. A lot of this is informal and bilateral; the UK government may persuade the Greek government to approve the French government's amendments in exchange for the UK supporting Greece's proposals on something. Eventually, after the document's gone back and forth a number of times, the Council will vote on it, and on many cases by QMV, on others, by simple majority, and still others requiring unanimity.

So it's kind of parliamentary, but as I said, only in the sense that something like a G7 meeting is: the countries state their case and then negotiate among themselves.
For the UK, ministers are not permitted to vote in favour of any proposal until both Houses of Parliament have released the document from scrutiny. This can be overriden by a minister in extremis, but then they will be summoned before a committee to explain why.

The Council is an entirely separate institution from the Parliament.

well technically they can't amend with an independence because they need to ask the commission first, which was what I was trying to imply

Again, this is untrue. The Parliament can make any changes it likes, and can indeed call on the Commission to write up proposals on things it wants done. The Parliament has the final say on the EU budget, and can fire one Commissioner or the entire Commission if it wishes.

not really

Yes really. Can you give an example of an EU measure rushed through?

1) ask them about something I don't even know about yet?! how can I possibly predict that the EU is going to be legislating over number plates as part of the EU's main decision making area? how long is an MEP's manifesto, exactly? I just read the conservative EU mainifesto from 2009 - most of the provisions are things like "we won't join the euro", "we will fight to bring down global poverty" - really, how am I meant to know what they're going to do? this no doubt goes for all the other parties

Then that's a criticism of the immature level of debate and engagement about the EU, and not something the EU itself is guilty of - it doesn't dictate the contents of a party's manifesto.

Anyway, as I said, these proposals take a very long time to gestate. Keep an eye on the EU's websites and see the proposals that come up, and if it irks you, write to them. Better still, the UK's Parliament's EU committees receive all EU proposals and have to scrutinise them - they publish them on their websites.

2) I have a somewhat comfortable idea of what MPs are voting on - they have somewhat clear manifestos that cover certain areas of policy but for MEPs - the problem with MPs over MEPs is that they lie, not that they don't even tell you what they're going to vote on

Hang on, MEPs lie and MPs don't? That does surprise me! In truth, they lie no more frequently than MPs do. MEPs actually try hard to inform people, but the problem is most people simple aren't worked up by issues such as whether pollen should be counted as a constituent ingredient in honey - which is the type of stuff the EU handles.

I'm sorry but you're treating this issue extremely disingenuously - you're essentially saying that to have any concept of democracy is to devolve it to the smallest number of people - but that standard democracy doesn't work because by doing this you could devolve it down to individuals, who constitute a majority of their person-hood/self determination. I am at least trying to argue the concept of democracy with proportionality, necessity and reasonableness - the UK is and has been a nation state in a comfortable, consistent, certain and stable manner without serious disagreements or lack of democratic faith for many years in this form (especially seeing as scotland probably aren't going to leave, and as well, at leas they have their own parliament which grants them de facto sovereignty over domestic issues to a large extent - but either way if they democratically vote to leave then that's fine, it's their right to do so) while in this country, we don't look at ourselves as a member of "the country of europe" we look at ourselves as member of a country of the UK, as british citizens, and as far as the EU goes, I doubt I will be able to get a correct answer from strangers on the street if I asked "who is the current speaker of the EU parliament?" or "who is the president of the EU commission?" - nobody knows anything about the EU and who runs it - it's completely beyond most people because it's so opaque with all its bureaucracy, irrelevance and lack of elections. again, we could have a global government where people like you will tell me if I don't like the unelected leader I could vote for another party in order to get them out of power - it's a laughable excuse for a plan and it just serves the point I'm making that we are essentially powerless and without a majority in the EU. we have a majority here as a country of citizens, but as one country as part of a continent of countries that don't see themselves in union with one another (or we deny it out of disbelief), we only see each other as countries, not citizens - europe isn't a country, it never was, there is too much difference between peoples, and this is why democracy in the EU is so difficult

Well, yes, I am not arguing with the point that the UK is and should remain a sovereign nation. Of course it should. My point is that your criticisms ring hollow. Yes, the UK can be outvoted; but then it can be outvoted in other institutions as well: should we withdraw from the UN, NATO, Council of Europe and the rest in order to ensure our sovereignty is intact?

The fundamental point, and the only thing that concerns me in terms of whether the UK should stay in the EU or not, is whether it serves our interests by improving trade and good business. It could well be that the EU does not in fact do this, and that we may be better off economically outside the EU. But hardly any anti-EU arguments focus on this matter - they obsess with points of principle over foreigners telling us what to do. I couldn't give a fig about that.

It's not the EU's fault that there's a lack of engagement, and I think proper engagement could change a lot of people's perspectives. Not everyone could name some of the more powerful people in the UK either: who is the Lord Speaker? Who's the head of the Civil Service?

no, it can legislate by itself without any say from either body in certain cases - that's what I was saying, I wasn't talking about the council of ministers. and in terms of EU directives (de facto orders of the commission):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Union_directives

Again, EU Directives don't work like that. They are written up by the Commission, but must receive the approval of the Council and Parliament before anyone listens to them:
no, democracy is relative seeing as it's relative to certain understandings and social factors that are the mantle of a political system such as the ideas of citizenship, collectivity, ideas of authority's legitimacy, etc - if you're objective, you can either have a world government or you can have no democracy at all, and neither are good in any light, so you must balance it with ideas of nation hood and legitimate authority - the UK is a nation and the citizens of it consider themselves part of that nation, whereas we aren't "citizens of the EU" in that same way - if we do, it's out of technicality. in my opinion, you could devolve the UK down or federalise it without any problems, it's the idea that you're suggesting that isn't considering the fact that smaller yet recognised jurisdictions are the most satisfying for people because they are in satisfying contact with their representatives, but if you have tiny towns that have full democratic control over their own affairs, this undermines the idea of nationhood completely if each town can effectively be legally its own country when nobody sees it like this and thus it won't be a legitimised or recognised political body, just like the EU but in reverse. if you have a huge mass of the globe as its own government where there are probably about 10+ languages involved, everyone will be dissociated with it politically because nobody will feel connected with any of the citizens other than the ones from their own country. that's simply how it works. and really, if you like democracy yet you like the EU I don't understand how you can rationalise the dual-workings of both without using that principle I had used against you - proportionality.

Well as I said - the EU isn't a nation, nor should it be. I agree with everything you wrote, I'm just saying that there's a disconnect in your logic if you criticise the EU for aspects of it that the UK shares with no extrapolation of context. For me, any attempt by the EU to become a sovereign state should be resisted, as it's not in the interests of the UK or of any country in Europe, for that matter. But this isn't any concern anyway; the EU cannot, and isn't inclined to, become a nation state. The Commission is thoroughly and fundamentally the creature of the Member States on one hand and Parliament on the other.

Should the EU be reformed? Absolutely. It is a slow, grumbling, inefficient beast. But it is this way because it's not a country but an international institution. Is the EU good value for money? My research indicates yes, but I am always willing to be corrected.
If it was shown to me that the EU absolutely, definitely causes us to lose out on business and money and improvements to the common weal, I'd be a eurosceptic within moments. But eurosceptics aren't actually interested in the economic interest of the UK, they are concerned with scaremongering over a monster that doesn't exist.
Reply 26
God almighty, what a non-issue. As if our national identity is tied up in bleeding number plates.

I was going to say almost exactly that.
Reply 27
Original post by thesabbath
Those that claim this is a non-issue, why if so are the EU hell-bent on abolishing national symbols

They aren't. Many European countries use national symbols more than we do.
It was in the Daily Express, a paper owned by a porn merchant. Would you trust the accuracy of the story?
Reply 29
Original post by Oliiver
Where does it stop though? Will it get rid of the British passport soon and issue a European one?

EU passports are already standardised.
Reply 30
Original post by Psyk
EU passports are already standardised.

I'd imagine most of you pro-europeans on here are for Britain joining the euro
Reply 31
Original post by Oliiver

Well it seems we did the right thing by staying out it.
Reply 32
Original post by Oliiver

Actually, I'm not. It wasn't economically in Britain's interests, as our economic cycle is slightly askew from mainland Europe's.
Reply 34
It's political BS like this they're using to make it more of a momentous task to leave.
Original post by Oliiver
Where does it stop though? Will it get rid of the British passport soon and issue a European one?

They have already. Passports used to be big and blue.

Now they're small and red.
Original post by Oliiver
Dez, where does it stop though? We signed up to a Common Market, not a political union…. The European Union is now a cancerous tumour growing on Britain and inhibiting it from reaching its potential strength.

I'm going to need a full explanation on how it is doing this, with credible sources. I'll wait. :redface:
If they make them smaller and not yellow I'm all for it, number plates look stupid on bikes atm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending