The Student Room Group

Can I go for clearing and apply to a totally different subject course?

Hey!!!

I just wonder if it is ok to apply for a subject that is totally different from what I applied before for UCAS in the clearing stage?

e.g: from engineering to social sciences?

Yes it is possible
Yes - though you should be prepared for them to ask what has prompted the sudden change of heart.
Reply 3
Original post by rfalways
Hey!!!

I just wonder if it is ok to apply for a subject that is totally different from what I applied before for UCAS in the clearing stage?

Yes, know some one who had an offer from Hertfordshire at BBC for accounting ended up with Law at at liverpool as he got ABB :smile:. Therefore as long as you dont need specific subjects ,e.g. you need maths and physics for engineering , you should be fine
Reply 4
Sorry I forgot to mention... No extra personal statement needed for clearing right?:smile:
Sorry I forgot to mention... No extra personal statement needed for clearing right?:smile:

Nope :nah:. There isn't time on the day! It's very time pressured.
Reply 6

You don't need one, but it can be a good idea to write one - the things you include are the things admissions tutors will ask when deciding whether to give you a place. It doesn't have to be as formal, but if you can write a few thoughts down it will help tp structure the conversation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
:smile: Thanks people for replies!!!'
Reply 8
Btw, If I don't meet my firm choice, can I reject my insurance and go for
Clearing?
Reply 9
Btw, If I don't meet my firm choice, can I reject my insurance and go for
Clearing?

You've already asked that question in a different thread (and been given the answer).

Re other courses, as others have said, but I recommend you do your research now about what course and whether you'd be happy at the universities that are most likely to appear in clearing based on past years. That way you can act swiftly on the day.
Reply 10
Original post by Crumpet1
You've already asked that question in a different thread (and been given the answer).

Re other courses, as others have said, but I recommend you do your research now about what course and whether you'd be happy at the universities that are most likely to appear in clearing based on past years. That way you can act swiftly on the day.

Oh did I??:smile:

Thank you very much for always replying my thread and giving very detailed information!!!

How can I know which will appear in clearing and which will not?
Reply 11
Oh did I??:smile:

Thank you very much for always replying my thread and giving very detailed information!!!

How can I know which will appear in clearing and which will not?

You can't know for sure until results day. Then, Clearing lists are published with everything that is on it this year.

However, some unis start to list Clearing vacancies on their website from the start of results week. So you can check if you have a particular uni in mind. The lists will be incomplete so not all vacancies will be listed early.

You can also check last year's Clearing lists to get an idea of what might come up. This does not guarantee they definitely will appear this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Juno
You can't know for sure until results day. Then, Clearing lists are published with everything that is on it this year.

However, some unis start to list Clearing vacancies on their website from the start of results week. So you can check if you have a particular uni in mind. The lists will be incomplete so not all vacancies will be listed early.

You can also check last year's Clearing lists to get an idea of what might come up. This does not guarantee they definitely will appear this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then when will the date of clearing be? The result day of a level or?

How can I found the list of universities and courses?

Many thanks!!!

Many thanks!!!

The bulk of it happens on A Level results day.

You can find the full clearing lists on the UCAS website, but some unis will start to release their clearing lists a few days earlier on their own website

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

Many thanks!!!

Clearing officially starts in July, but most unis won't finalise their lists until A Level results day. This is because they don't know how many students have missed their offers until then (they do get results a few days before, but it takes them a while to go through them all).

So any courses in Clearing before then are the ones that know they definitely have spaces left over.
Reply 15
Original post by Origami Bullets
The bulk of it happens on A Level results day.

You can find the full clearing lists on the UCAS website, but some unis will start to release their clearing lists a few days earlier on their own website

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see. Thanks a lot:smile:)))
Reply 16
Original post by Juno

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright! Thanksss Juno!!!
Reply 17
Hey!!!

I did this earlier on in the month through Extra. I rejected all 5 of my offers for biochemistry and instead submitted an alternative personal statement to do physics at Leeds. It's best to email them beforehand and ask whether an extra PS is necessary as I had a friend who changed from nursing to history last year and didn't have to (which I must admit I thought strange). If you're totally set on changing routes, it might be best to do it now rather than during Clearing. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by EPAA
I did this earlier on in the month through Extra. I rejected all 5 of my offers for biochemistry and instead submitted an alternative personal statement to do physics at Leeds. It's best to email them beforehand and ask whether an extra PS is necessary as I had a friend who changed from nursing to history last year and didn't have to (which I must admit I thought strange). If you're totally set on changing routes, it might be best to do it now rather than during Clearing. :smile:

Thanks for telling me the practical information!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending