The Student Room Group

What are some 'prestigious' universities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
look at the rankings
Original post by Pro Crastination
Hehe, I think it depends how Americanised you are. I hadn't heard of MIT until a couple of years ago!

Maybe but I think as a university student at a decent enough place like Sheffield which undoubtedly has links with some decent universities including the Ivies, I'm surprised the name Harvard or Princeton never rung a bell. In fact I think he knew Princeton from Fresh Prince of Bel Air, but Harvard and Yale were mentioned enough times too over the course of that programme series.
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Maybe but I think as a university student at a decent enough place like Sheffield which undoubtedly has links with some decent universities including the Ivies, I'm surprised the name Harvard or Princeton never rung a bell. In fact I think he knew Princeton from Fresh Prince of Bel Air, but Harvard and Yale were mentioned enough times too over the course of that programme series.

Maybe he just didn't pay enough attention. It's not mandatory, and as a former engineering student myself, there are more important things to be concerned with.
Original post by Smack
Maybe he just didn't pay enough attention. It's not mandatory, and as a former engineering student myself, there are more important things to be concerned with.

Athough it might explain why some five years after graduation he didn't get a job and committed suicide......
Athough it might explain why some five years after graduation he didn't get a job and committed suicide......

You really think that not knowing the names of a few American universities is the reason he didn't get a job upon graduation? :confused:
Original post by Smack
You really think that not knowing the names of a few American universities is the reason he didn't get a job upon graduation? :confused:

No of course not but it shows he lacked any sort of common sense or connection wight he outside world beyond his books but of course his illness probably factored into that. But it's done now and sadly he is no longer around. A tragic story really.
With the*
Reply 47
Original post by BaudelaireLucky
I want to study English Language and Literature so preferably universities that are known for being good with English rather than sciences :smile:

Edit: In the UK or Europe please :smile:

Edinburgh for sure - oldest English Lit department in the UK
Reply 48
Original post by coolcatho13
iN NO PARTICULAR ORDER,

OXFORD, DURHAM, CAMBRIDGE, PRINCETON, MIT, STANFORD

GREAT FOR OTHER SUBJECTS TOO, BUT REALLY HARD TO GET INTO

I'm putting 100 bucks down you go to Durham. This post was laughable.
No of course not but it shows he lacked any sort of common sense or connection wight he outside world beyond his books

I don't think it does. I think it shows that he wasn't particularly concerned about American universities, which is understandable, and I think you're unusually concerned about it.
Have a look at the Russell group universities for the uk and don't even consider anything that isn't in it if you want something prestigious

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smack
I don't think it does. I think it shows that he wasn't particularly concerned about American universities, which is understandable, and I think you're unusually concerned about it.

We're going to have to agree to disagree but to me it shows that he was wrapped up in his own illness and world and reflects his common sense and competence meaning he ended up jobless and now dead.

To be in academia and not know Harvard or Cambridge honestly you'd have to be some kind of a grade A moron.
We're going to have to agree to disagree but to me it shows that he was wrapped up in his own illness and world and reflects his common sense and competence meaning he ended up jobless and now dead.

Yes, and I think that the proposition that someone not being aware of a particular university on a different continent is a demonstration of their (in?)competence and reason for failing to secure a job is bizarre and ignorant, especially when said person had (severe) mental illness (which I would suggest is a much bigger barrier to securing a job).

To be in academia and not know Harvard or Cambridge honestly you'd have to be some kind of a grade A moron.

No-one said anything about Cambridge, but to graduate with a good degree from a good university illustrates that you're not, in fact, a grade A moron.
Original post by Smack
Yes, and I think that the proposition that someone not being aware of a particular university on a different continent is a demonstration of their (in?)competence and reason for failing to secure a job is bizarre and ignorant, especially when said person had (severe) mental illness (which I would suggest is a much bigger barrier to securing a job).

No-one said anything about Cambridge, but to graduate with a good degree from a good university illustrates that you're not, in fact, a grade A moron.

First class degree or not he is dead now so that was a waste lol
Reply 54
Im pondering how far the OP would go, considering they even had to ask this stupid question.
Original post by ukmed108
I'm putting 100 bucks down you go to Durham. This post was laughable.

Where's my hundred bucks.
I don't go to Durham... but if you (hopefully you did, because how embarassing would it be if you didn't) read the original post, she's talking about ENGLISH!!! Durham is good for E-N-G-L-I-S-H

:eviltongue:
Reply 56
Original post by coolcatho13
Where's my hundred bucks.
I don't go to Durham... but if you (hopefully you did, because how embarassing would it be if you didn't) read the original post, she's talking about ENGLISH!!! Durham is good for E-N-G-L-I-S-H

:eviltongue:

Putting Durham in the same category as the top 6 universities in the world shows how little you know about the world. Please. Nobody knows Durham outside of the UK and newsflash no one cares if its supposedly good at English.
Original post by ukmed108
Putting Durham in the same category as the top 6 universities in the world shows how little you know about the world. Please. Nobody knows Durham outside of the UK and newsflash no one cares if its supposedly good at English.

I would have to agree to some extent that Durham is little know outside of the UK and I would not list it amongst the most well known UK universities globally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending