The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

What's it like being a student at Staffordshire Uni at Stoke-On-Trent?

Hey xx so I've chosen my firm choice as Staffordshire Uni, just wondering if I could find out anything more about student life at the Stoke-On-Trent Campus :smile:
Reply 1
Hey, I am currently a student at Staffs uni, i am a 3rd year and currently working on a project to advertise their uni, so i need to know what most people want to know about uni before going there.
I will be more than happy to answer your questions. but first what would you like to know about the uni life?
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by qu9ntin
Hey, I am currently a student at Staffs uni, i am a 3rd year and currently working on a project to advertise their uni, so i need to know what most people want to know about uni before going there.
I will be more than happy to answer your questions. but first what would you like to know about the uni life?

1. What happens on the first few days of freshers week? not nightlife but in terms of getting to know the university.
2. what would you recommend bringing with me, what to buy when i get there?
3. Are there lots of societies to get involved in?
4. What is nightlife in freshers week like?
5. Is it easy to make friends? Is everyone friendly and easy to get along with?

Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by kimcollings96
1. What happens on the first few days of freshers week? not nightlife but in terms of getting to know the university.
2. what would you recommend bringing with me, what to buy when i get there?
3. Are there lots of societies to get involved in?
4. What is nightlife in freshers week like?
5. Is it easy to make friends? Is everyone friendly and easy to get along with?

Thank you

1. The first week there will be freshers fair, which is normally all society having a stall and make you involved in their society, so all kind of society will be there and ready for you to get a much information about does societies. Also once you move in, on the first few days, you will make friends straight away. I remember when i arrived, people i was going to live with asked me if I wanted to go for a drink straight away. So the first few days is pure excitement!

2. Bring along your everyday uses, (so clothes, bathroom stuff, your room decoration, kitchen tools ect...) i remember bringing food which was a bit useless as most of the time you will go out eating with your new friends. Once at uni, most of the things you will buy will be stuff to go out on a night out, as very often there are theme nights. Overall on that question just bring general stuff, then don't worry about buying stuff straight away, as it will depend on the situation on the day.

3. Loaaddddsssss! and you can join more than one! Like i said previously, you will have the choice on the first week. And i strongly advice to do so! specially sport society! This year i joined 3 societies, and i wish i joined one in my first year!

4. Well haha normally you don't remember it! with all the excitement happening, the new people your meeting, the life of living without parent and many more factors, freshers tend to drink more than they think they can. And i am not going to lie, i was one of them. In my second and third year, it was funny to see all the freshers going back home before midnight because they drank too much! but that is part of the best memories of uni!

5. Making friends is probably the least thing i would get worries about. Everyday you meet new people, seriously everyday!

My advise would be to enjoy most of your first year because so far it was THE year of my life.

Staffs uni has probably the best campus i have seen compared to other uni! the bar (ember lounge is amazing! i live in there nearly!) but even for how cheap it is for a night out, the food too and the activities!

*** Make sure you go to Varsity *** it is the best day at uni!

Hope it was helpful and sorry for the text mistakes xD
Reply 4
Hey xx so I've chosen my firm choice as Staffordshire Uni, just wondering if I could find out anything more about student life at the Stoke-On-Trent Campus :smile:

Choose Leek road house or Royal Doulton if your looking to live on campus, liberty court is really far from campus so i won't advice that at all
This is so so helpful, I think I'm more prepared now! Thank you :smile:
2 more questions, what kind of societies are there, and what is varsity? Thanks xx
Firstly staffs is terrible...

Secondly staffs is no more terrible than the majority of other uni's :P just stoke as an area that takes some getting used to.

On a more serious note, there's plenty of societies from RAMS (Rock and Metal Society?), american football, hockey, mountain climbing, cocktails, fencing, horse-riding etc etc.

I'll be starting my third year this sept and think I might join fencing and horse-riding.

Varsity is when Keele uni and Staffs uni face each other in various sports events (there may be smaller ones agains wolves etc). Even if you not in a team, everyone uses it as an excuse to watch sport and drink all day.

Will you be in halls? If so don't worry about it too much you'll have a monitor who will tell you the in's and outs early on, after that just talk to your flat mates if you have any issue's.... If your not in halls just make some friends on here :wink:
I've been up there a handful of times, was by far the best compared to other unis I saw :smile:
That's good, I heard there was even a flashmob society at some point?
Ahh that sounds awesome! Especially considering a friend is going to Keele next year x
Yeah I will hopefully be in Clarice Cliff Court.
Yeah I remember seeing that in my first year.... didn't seem to last.... the golf society lasted longer xD (it's still going I think)

Varsity is good.... but is a test of your drinking stamina, it's defiantly the event to "not be that person" who pukes and everyone has to look after :P

Clarice is good, but smaller flat sizes. I was in minton, only 3 floors (so only 3 flats), so everyone knew everyone was really fun.

Just don't expect hanley to be anything special, it does the job but hardly the drinking or pulling capital of the world. Most people just attend gobble (at the LRV) once a week.
Original post by DanB1991
Yeah I remember seeing that in my first year.... didn't seem to last.... the golf society lasted longer xD (it's still going I think)

Varsity is good.... but is a test of your drinking stamina, it's defiantly the event to "not be that person" who pukes and everyone has to look after :P

Clarice is good, but smaller flat sizes. I was in minton, only 3 floors (so only 3 flats), so everyone knew everyone was really fun.

Just don't expect hanley to be anything special, it does the job but hardly the drinking or pulling capital of the world. Most people just attend gobble (at the LRV) once a week.

Ahh I dont drink enough to be that bad :smile:

I'm only really going to Clarice because I could not cope with sharing a bathroom with all those girls.

I hear there are lots of themed nights?
Ahh I dont drink enough to be that bad :smile:

I'm only really going to Clarice because I could not cope with sharing a bathroom with all those girls.

I hear there are lots of themed nights?

Lol that may be the problem if you don't drink enough then try to kepp up....

Haha yeah girls are worse than lads, though tbh having a whole group of lad or whole group of girls is better than mixed which is what you will get in clarrice.

Yeah once every wednesday is a themed night. It usually only stick for the first 4 weeks and on special occasions (aka christmas, halloween, easter etc). though most people will still go each week, but simply not dress up.

We have a massive house next year, want an alt to halls (or even bring them along) your more than welcome too.... freshers is a time to make mates and do stupid things :P
I'm getting better when it comes to drinking :0

Ahh I don't mind it being mixed.
Wheres the point of not dressing up, if thats the whole point!

What was that last point?
I'm getting better when it comes to drinking :0

Ahh I don't mind it being mixed.
Wheres the point of not dressing up, if thats the whole point!

What was that last point?

Oh it's not the fact that being mixed is bad.... just not as good, less banters... though I do remember one flat in clarrice was renowned for getting out of hand in my first year.

Haha just people slowly stop making the effort, we're students your know! We can't afford new outfits every week.... and the people who do go will do so every week :P

No idea (Y) lol
Ahh I', just looking forward to the whole experience :smile:

One thing my parents have been wondering, what happens on the day when you get there in terms of registering, getting to the flat...?
go there with your confirmation letter (or one of the specific letters they send you cannot remember the precise one), sign up and pick up your student card.

If you didn't sent the photo or it was not appropriate you'll get sent for your photo and you'll get a temporary student card. Remember you student number though as you will not be able to get into LRV without it (If you don't have you card that it).

After that you go to another table and they will give you your key with instructions on how to find your halls

There's also another table to sign up to the on site GP, there's also other things there to make you aware of whats going on durign freshers week and also advertising things like the society fair.

Then you go to you halls, unpack, meet people, drink (or not drink if that's not your thing), moving in night party at LRV then freshers week starts the next day!
go there with your confirmation letter (or one of the specific letters they send you cannot remember the precise one), sign up and pick up your student card.

If you didn't sent the photo or it was not appropriate you'll get sent for your photo and you'll get a temporary student card. Remember you student number though as you will not be able to get into LRV without it (If you don't have you card that it).

After that you go to another table and they will give you your key with instructions on how to find your halls

There's also another table to sign up to the on site GP, there's also other things there to make you aware of whats going on durign freshers week and also advertising things like the society fair.

Then you go to you halls, unpack, meet people, drink (or not drink if that's not your thing), moving in night party at LRV then freshers week starts the next day!

Ahh okay, is there a way for me to find out who i will be sharing a flat with before I get there?

Sounds good, so excited!!! :smile:
Ahh okay, is there a way for me to find out who i will be sharing a flat with before I get there?

Sounds good, so excited!!! :smile:

Yep purpose built site here

http://www.hellofreshers.co.uk/staffs
Firstly staffs is terrible...

Secondly staffs is no more terrible than the majority of other uni's :P just stoke as an area that takes some getting used to.

On a more serious note, there's plenty of societies from RAMS (Rock and Metal Society?), american football, hockey, mountain climbing, cocktails, fencing, horse-riding etc etc.

I'll be starting my third year this sept and think I might join fencing and horse-riding.

Varsity is when Keele uni and Staffs uni face each other in various sports events (there may be smaller ones agains wolves etc). Even if you not in a team, everyone uses it as an excuse to watch sport and drink all day.

Will you be in halls? If so don't worry about it too much you'll have a monitor who will tell you the in's and outs early on, after that just talk to your flat mates if you have any issue's.... If your not in halls just make some friends on here :wink:

Ah keele. Our mortal enemies :tongue: Hmm never visited the Stoke campus so wouldnt know too much about it, but yeah I guess it's getting used to Stoke? Should be livelier than Stafford, Id imagine (Though Stafford is a nicer town)

It also depends on "What do you want from uni" I guess it's no surprise that the computing courses were done at Stafford - well still are until 2015

Also, take in to consideration car insurance. It's cheaper at Stafford than Stoke - that's if you drive tho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending