The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by donutaud15
Haven't been home for good Friday in few years and this year I would be. just wondering what do you guys do for good Friday? I remember my gran praying the rosary around 3pm but can't remember much. help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll probably go to church in the afternoon, there's a 2-3pm service, the idea is it that it leads up to Jesus dying at 3pm. In previous years my home church has had a morning service as well, but I don't think there is one this year.

Hopefully I'll get some time to meditate on the cross. Hoping I won't just end up doing work, but I don't think it would be disastrous if I did. After all, we an celebrate the cross the whole year :smile:
Original post by fluteflute
I'll probably go to church in the afternoon, there's a 2-3pm service, the idea is it that it leads up to Jesus dying at 3pm. In previous years my home church has had a morning service as well, but I don't think there is one this year.

Hopefully I'll get some time to meditate on the cross. Hoping I won't just end up doing work, but I don't think it would be disastrous if I did. After all, we an celebrate the cross the whole year :smile:

Hey, thanks for the reply. Church is actually a good idea, hopefully there's mass then in the local church. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3022
Original post by donutaud15
Hey, thanks for the reply. Church is actually a good idea, hopefully there's mass then in the local church. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just so you know, it won't be Mass on Good Friday, just a service with Holy Communion. No hosts are consecrated on Good Friday :yy:

There certainly should be a service in the local church though :yep:
This lovely ex-Muslim guy talks about how he came to understand who Jesus is.

If anyone is interested it is a lovely video to watch (37 mins long) but from about 13.00 minutes he makes some very interesting points about how he defended his faith initially when discussing it with Christians.

[video="youtube;Z1Cx4CuLWGA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Cx4CuLWGA[/video]
Hi all. i have a question.
I know it said in the bible not to be equaly yoaked with an unbeliever. I am finding it hard to find any christians in college. I only know of one christian in my college so far and i go to a big college. Most of their morals would be different from mine and it would be easier for me to be tempted into sinning. We are all sinners but we are saved by the Grace of God. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Hi all. i have a question.
I know it said in the bible not to be equaly yoaked with an unbeliever. I am finding it hard to find any christians in college. I only know of one christian in my college so far and i go to a big college. Most of their morals would be different from mine and it would be easier for me to be tempted into sinning. We are all sinners but we are saved by the Grace of God. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perfectly possible to hang out with non-Christians and to not follow them. We are indeed all saved through God's grace, and we can be an example to them. I am no example to my non-Christian friends, as I am a sinner, but I try and do my best.
Hello from Bethlehem, Israel! Thinking of you all today, the day on which I saw and kissed the star marking Jesus' supposed actual birthplace! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hello from Bethlehem, Israel! Thinking of you all today, the day on which I saw and kissed the star marking Jesus' supposed actual birthplace! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awww what an honour :biggrin:
Mathew 6:34

"Do not worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will take care of itself. Today's troubles are enough for today."
Original post by Grace by Yahweh
This lovely ex-Muslim guy talks about how he came to understand who Jesus is.

If anyone is interested it is a lovely video to watch (37 mins long) but from about 13.00 minutes he makes some very interesting points about how he defended his faith initially when discussing it with Christians.

[video="youtube;Z1Cx4CuLWGA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Cx4CuLWGA[/video]

I just watched the whole thing :biggrin: It's such an inspiring story. He risked everything just to follow Christ. It must have been really heartbreaking to have his wedding without his parents. I'm glad he knows it was all worth it. I think the world needs more messages like this :yep:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Joannywhite
I just watched the whole thing :biggrin: It's such an inspiring story. He risked everything just to follow Christ. It must have been really heartbreaking to have his wedding without his parents. I'm glad he knows it was all worth it. I think the world needs more messages like this :yep:

Hi :smile: I'm glad you enjoyed watching it. I surf the internet all the time for stories/messages like this, so inspiring.
Hi guys so I have a question which I posted in the religion category but the replies were predominately from atheists or those who were just trying to be controversial. So this is what I wrote:

No sex before marriage but never want to get married....

I have major commitment issues. I would struggle moving into the same house with someone because of my fear/anxiety that it would go wrong and I wouldn't have a way out. Tbh I don't think this is ever going to change.

I am undecided on the no sex before marriage debate and probably side slightly more on the side of sex before marriage is ok provided that it is with someone you care about/love. But I still get worried that God is going to be unhappy with me if I do have sex before marriage but I never want to get married because of my anxiety!

Please help! Will God forgive me for having sex before marriage but having it with someone I care about and love?
Howdy people! :wavey:

I'm not sure how many of you will be interested in such a thing, but I figured that some of you may find the following beneficial, despite it being unspecific to you in various places:

As some of you may know, I have a blog-like site at which I post Islam-related articles every now and then. They aim to encourage reflection, something called tadhakkur in islamic terms. I thought that much of the messages would also apply to you guys, so you may find it helpful. The website is as follows./

http://inreflectionofthequran.wordpress.com/

The topics about which I have written so far have mainly been arrogance vs humbleness, and hope & patience.

I hope you find it useful in some way or other.
ash

Diety
x

Grace by Yahweh
x

Racoon
x

The_Lonely_Goatherd
x
Original post by Mushrooms
Hi guys so I have a question which I posted in the religion category but the replies were predominately from atheists or those who were just trying to be controversial. So this is what I wrote:

I have major commitment issues. I would struggle moving into the same house with someone because of my fear/anxiety that it would go wrong and I wouldn't have a way out. Tbh I don't think this is ever going to change.

I am undecided on the no sex before marriage debate and probably side slightly more on the side of sex before marriage is ok provided that it is with someone you care about/love. But I still get worried that God is going to be unhappy with me if I do have sex before marriage but I never want to get married because of my anxiety!

Please help! Will God forgive me for having sex before marriage but having it with someone I care about and love?

Hey :smile:

Before we start, then yes, God forgives us for all our sin. That includes big things, small things, things we don't realise we've done! It's amazing :biggrin: But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to follow his plan. He'll forgive us murdering people, but that doesn't mean he wants us to murder people. He'll forgive us when we lie, but that doesn't mean we should deliberately lie.

I'm convinced that God designed sex as a great thing, but that is was designed to be a mark of lifelong commitment to another, in other words, marriage. It's not that God's trying to spoil the fun of those who are single (whether just now, or long term) but it's for our good not to have sex outside of his design. (And of course we can have deep and meaningful relationships outside of marriage.)

My church had a few sermons on this over the last couple of months, so if you want to hear what I just wrote more clearly explained then there's this one on sex and this one on singleness. (There were also talks on marriage, gender, and same sex marriage, but I don't think they're so relevant to you right now.)

I imagine there will be others here with some slightly different understandings, but hopefully you might find the talks above helpful. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3034
I heard a lovely phrase once, wrt sex and marriage:

"The level of intimacy should be reflected in the level of commitment"
Original post by fluteflute
Hey :smile:

Before we start, then yes, God forgives us for all our sin. That includes big things, small things, things we don't realise we've done! It's amazing :biggrin: But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to follow his plan. He'll forgive us murdering people, but that doesn't mean he wants us to murder people. He'll forgive us when we lie, but that doesn't mean we should deliberately lie.

I'm convinced that God designed sex as a great thing, but that is was designed to be a mark of lifelong commitment to another, in other words, marriage. It's not that God's trying to spoil the fun of those who are single (whether just now, or long term) but it's for our good not to have sex outside of his design. (And of course we can have deep and meaningful relationships outside of marriage.)

My church had a few sermons on this over the last couple of months, so if you want to hear what I just wrote more clearly explained then there's this one on sex and this one on singleness. (There were also talks on marriage, gender, and same sex marriage, but I don't think they're so relevant to you right now.)

I imagine there will be others here with some slightly different understandings, but hopefully you might find the talks above helpful. :smile:

Thanks for your reply :smile:

I guess I get worried because I am still discovering my faith (used to be an atheist and converted to christainity) so I sometimes get worried when some of the extreme christians say that all those who have sex before marriage are going to suffer in hell for eternity... etc.

I agree with you that I think God designed it to be special, but can it not be special and used as a sign of commitment when you are in a long term relationship and not married. My problem is with the marriage thing because I simply don't want to marry (as explained). At the moment I am in a long term relationship with my boyfriend (I m still a virgin) but thinking about having sex. I love him dearly but I don't want marriage - EVER! Is this still ok?

Thanks for the sermons :smile: I will check them out.

I agree with what fluteflute has said. Sex before marriage is sinful, that's just how it is. Also with regards to commitment issues these don't always persist. If you've got a long term relationship going then surely that is a commitment. I don't know how old you are, but it may just be you're not ready for the commitment of marriage yet. I know one of my friends never wanted to get married, never wanted to have kids etc. etc. and now she's married and wanting kids, things change.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I agree with what fluteflute has said. Sex before marriage is sinful, that's just how it is. Also with regards to commitment issues these don't always persist. If you've got a long term relationship going then surely that is a commitment. I don't know how old you are, but it may just be you're not ready for the commitment of marriage yet. I know one of my friends never wanted to get married, never wanted to have kids etc. etc. and now she's married and wanting kids, things change.

I can be in a committed relationship thats fine but I marriage is the ultimate commitment with few ways out and costing a lot of money and time. I would much rather stay in a committed relationship without getting married than get married because my anxiety will come through. The reason I am fine with a long-term committed relationship (without marriage) is because there are easy ways out - we can just go our separate ways. If you are married you have to go through divorce etc. The whole thing just scares me :frown:

I am very aware that my opinions may change however, but I have thought this for years and still want kids and everything. I just don't want to get married :frown: .
I can be in a committed relationship thats fine but I marriage is the ultimate commitment with few ways out and costing a lot of money and time. I would much rather stay in a committed relationship without getting married than get married because my anxiety will come through. The reason I am fine with a long-term committed relationship (without marriage) is because there are easy ways out - we can just go our separate ways. If you are married you have to go through divorce etc. The whole thing just scares me :frown:

I am very aware that my opinions may change however, but I have thought this for years and still want kids and everything. I just don't want to get married :frown: .

I think commitments are scary especially marriage. It's normal for you to think "oh is he the right person? What if it doesn't work out?" and stuff like that. But marriage isn't sth u jump into with just anyone. You will need God's guidance in finding the right person. He has a plan for you. If you follow it, nothing will go wrong and u won't need to go separate ways. So there's no need to be scared. Seek God's help. I'm sure he'll direct you :smile:

I don't think it would be that easy to just walk away from a committed long term relationship though. Yes wouldn't be divorce but would still be emotionally draining. Anyway the whole point about a good relationship is that it won't end. With marriage you can still keep separate bank accounts and stuff and have large amounts of independence, plus the tax breaks and stuff that marriage offers. And especially if you want kids surely you want them to have the stability of a relationship where no-one is just going to take an easy way out and go their separate way (as you so put it).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending