The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like a good strategy. Only peer reviewed articles in good journals, or academic books/chapters count as the kind of publication that would help an early career CV. But there's no harm in putting your ideas out there on blogs, so long as you don't give it all away. Put enough in to spark interest, but save the really good specifics of your ideas for the PhD. A new area is obviously very promising from the point of view for getting funding. The thing with blogs is that they're time limited. People will share and notice them for a short period of time and then other things take their attention. So it makes sense to align presence online and at conferences with the kind of times you wanting to be getting opportunities related to them. Its no good if you put a blog up and someone contacts you asking you to speak/write a chapter etc. and you're no way ready. Staying in contact with academics is obviously a good idea. Working and fine tuning is also a good idea. Just be careful of using a PhD as a way to judge academia. I think PhDs are a very unique and specific space within a regular academic trajectory. And they can vary wildly according to different factors. Just like it would be wrong to judge all postgraduate studies according to the one bad experience you had at KCL. If you do go for the PhD, make sure you have good enough reasons to provide you with strong motivation. You can judge for yourself what those are, but I think if I wasn't very determined to get mine and I couldn't see the clear relevance of the qualification to my options later on in life, it would become much more appealing to give up on it, as a good many students do!
Original post by Craghyrax
Sounds like a good strategy. Only peer reviewed articles in good journals, or academic books/chapters count as the kind of publication that would help an early career CV. But there's no harm in putting your ideas out there on blogs, so long as you don't give it all away. Put enough in to spark interest, but save the really good specifics of your ideas for the PhD. A new area is obviously very promising from the point of view for getting funding. The thing with blogs is that they're time limited. People will share and notice them for a short period of time and then other things take their attention. So it makes sense to align presence online and at conferences with the kind of times you wanting to be getting opportunities related to them. Its no good if you put a blog up and someone contacts you asking you to speak/write a chapter etc. and you're no way ready.

Good point, that was what was worrying me about blogs!

Staying in contact with academics is obviously a good idea. Working and fine tuning is also a good idea. Just be careful of using a PhD as a way to judge academia. I think PhDs are a very unique and specific space within a regular academic trajectory. And they can vary wildly according to different factors. Just like it would be wrong to judge all postgraduate studies according to the one bad experience you had at KCL. If you do go for the PhD, make sure you have good enough reasons to provide you with strong motivation. You can judge for yourself what those are, but I think if I wasn't very determined to get mine and I couldn't see the clear relevance of the qualification to my options later on in life, it would become much more appealing to give up on it, as a good many students do!

Very true. I meant that I personally wouldn't see it as a way into academia, like I don't see myself teaching for now, but I think it could help on a professional level as I think it could bring more credibility if I wanted to go into consulting or other fields where there's often a strong background in academia, like think tanks. But I think it's mainly my love of research that's motivating me, despite saying I'm done with academia every time I finish an essay, I seem to always want to do it again…!

I think I could survive a PhD, but as you said, I'd rather have a strong motivation to go through with it and I think taking a year out will help, as it's easy when you're in the university bubble to start thinking that it's the best idea in the world and that there's definitely nothing else you want to do. I found my year out between my BA and MA to be very useful, so I'm quite keen on taking my time and properly assessing whether a PhD is something that I really want.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll take all this into consideration if I decide to go ahead and do a PhD! I don't know how people manage without the GOGSoc, sometimes :p:
Cool. Yes with think tanks/policy etc. a PhD can be useful. So that's good. I think its when people feel that their PhD is literally useless that it can be hard to feel motivated.
Reply 7763
:frown: Hopefully that feedback will mean you can revise it into a kick ass publication for another journal.

That's the plan! I've a supervision this week so I'm hoping to chew over the feedback with my supervisor and then submit a reworked version of the article elsewhere within two weeks or so.
Been a while since Gogs had a sing-song:

:llama:
I disagree with Craghyax about the publishing thing. The timescales involved in traditional publishing can be ridiculous at times so it is nice to have something tangible to show for your work (i.e. a blog post). For instance, the Guardian contacted me to write something last month. That came about because they had seen some of my comments on their website.

While it will depend upon your field, I know the research institute I am affiliated with likes this sort of public engagement and are likely to reward it when I apply for more funding. Ditto with other internal funding at my university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by evantej
I disagree with Craghyax about the publishing thing. The timescales involved in traditional publishing can be ridiculous at times so it is nice to have something tangible to show for your work (i.e. a blog post). For instance, the Guardian contacted me to write something last month. That came about because they had seen some of my comments on their website.

While it will depend upon your field, I know the research institute I am affiliated with likes this sort of public engagement and are likely to reward it when I apply for more funding. Ditto with other internal funding at my university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know I'm not PhDing just yet but I agree, getting stuff in the media does looks good, especially for scientists given the huge push on'public understanding of science' at the moment. Also media interest can actually help with the publication process.

Publishing takes forever :frown: finished my masters in September and the paper still isn't out. Bleugh.
Original post by evantej

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by redferry
I know I'm not PhDing just yet but I agree, getting stuff in the media does looks good, especially for scientists given the huge push on'public understanding of science' at the moment. Also media interest can actually help with the publication process.

Publishing takes forever :frown: finished my masters in September and the paper still isn't out. Bleugh.

What I got from that was that blogs were useful, but at the end of the day, something you've put online a year ago will not be seen as much as something much more recent. I didn't get the feeling that Craggy was condemning blogs at all, but merely arguing the fact that it was a tool to be used with caution and that to make the best use of it, you should post/publish while keeping in mind the academic context at the time, ie. a conference, CFP, whatever else.

They are time-dependent after all, content can become completely useless and irrelevant overnight on the Internet, the same way you can end up with server problems, blogs that haven't been updated in months, posts with dead links, etc, so whilst they are useful - and no-one said they weren't - I understood from Craggy that they should be used with care, not that they shouldn't be used at all.
Original post by Anatheme
What I got from that was that blogs were useful, but at the end of the day, something you've put online a year ago will not be seen as much as something much more recent. I didn't get the feeling that Craggy was condemning blogs at all, but merely arguing the fact that it was a tool to be used with caution and that to make the best use of it, you should post/publish while keeping in mind the academic context at the time, ie. a conference, CFP, whatever else.

They are time-dependent after all, content can become completely useless and irrelevant overnight on the Internet, the same way you can end up with server problems, blogs that haven't been updated in months, posts with dead links, etc, so whilst they are useful - and no-one said they weren't - I understood from Craggy that they should be used with care, not that they shouldn't be used at all.

There is also a big difference between writing your own blog and publishing in an edited and hosted blog, either by a university or a newspaper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7770
Original post by Kitty Pimms
There is also a big difference between writing your own blog and publishing in an edited and hosted blog, either by a university or a newspaper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's reminded me to update the ol' CV - did a blog post for my collab partner the other week :biggrin:
Original post by evantej

Posted from TSR Mobile

As Anatheme suggests, you've misread my post. Indeed if you look again, it was implicit in what I wrote that blog posts can offer a lot of important and good opportunities. What I suggested, though, was that if you only have enough knowledge/opinions to write a blog post, but are still very much in a stage of working out where you want to go, then you, or rather Anatheme (based on everything she's said about her situation) actually would not want to suddenly be asked to write things in the Guardian or submit a chapter to a book or speak at a seminar. These are the kinds of opportunities that visibility online offers, but if you don't feel that you're ready to take up those offers, then its better to hold back until you want to begin engaging.
It very much depends on what content you are exposing, but for the majority of my doctoral work, the theoretical positions I am honing are both complex and controversial. I am reluctant to tie my flag to the mast in a format that can be searched and dug up again and again by possible academic employers and the like for decades into my career before I am 100% happy with its quality. So there are some more simple things I don't mind spinning into blog posts, but the more interesting and experimental stuff I save for conferences and proper publication.
Anatheme would be writing something that is potentially cutting edge. It would be very unfortunate if she shared too good an idea, years before being able to go forward with it, and meanwhile allowed others to take advantage of it. Similarly, if research did move forward very fast, she might not want it publically visible that she took the view towards the issue that she did prior to the emergence of other research.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by apotoftea
That's reminded me to update the ol' CV - did a blog post for my collab partner the other week :biggrin:

Well done :biggrin:

I have just cracked open a beer after spending most of the day trying to battle with the tax registration system in the country I am now in. I've spent 5 months trying to get them to recognise my OH's right to move here. I've just submitted another application after chasing down various forms from the other countries to which we are affiliated, which despite what they said in the office ('this is definitely all we need!') is going to be rejected and then I'm back to square one. I'm just so fed up of it all - and a quick google suggests it seems to be just this country (shifty eyes) that creates so many barriers for EU citizens, to the extent that the Commission is on their case, but nothing changes. Just so, so fed up of being skint and having to fight for things all the time - I know it will get better, but having *finally* got the dream opportunity I worked so hard for, I am fed up of being exhausted by all the other **** that goes along with it. I just want it to end so I can actually enjoy myself at last. Moan moan moan.

Sorry, I'm just feeling a tad annoyed and thought I'd rant a bit :colondollar:
Original post by Little Jules
We are more affected by the other portfolio. But obviously surprised by the move and interested to see what was going where!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah no sorry, the brief that went to the other minister in the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Little Jules
Ah no sorry, the brief that went to the other minister in the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah!
As Anatheme suggests, you've misread my post. Indeed if you look again, it was implicit in what I wrote that blog posts can offer a lot of important and good opportunities. What I suggested, though, was that if you only have enough knowledge/opinions to write a blog post, but are still very much in a stage of working out where you want to go, then you, or rather Anatheme (based on everything she's said about her situation) actually would not want to suddenly be asked to write things in the Guardian or submit a chapter to a book or speak at a seminar. These are the kinds of opportunities that visibility online offers, but if you don't feel that you're ready to take up those offers, then its better to hold back until you want to begin engaging.
It very much depends on what content you are exposing, but for the majority of my doctoral work, the theoretical positions I am honing are both complex and controversial. I am reluctant to tie my flag to the mast in a format that can be searched and dug up again and again by possible academic employers and the like for decades into my career before I am 100% happy with its quality. So there are some more simple things I don't mind spinning into blog posts, but the more interesting and experimental stuff I save for conferences and proper publication.
Anatheme would be writing something that is potentially cutting edge. It would be very unfortunate if she shared too good an idea, years before being able to go forward with it, and meanwhile allowed others to take advantage of it. Similarly, if research did move forward very fast, she might not want it publically visible that she took the view towards the issue that she did prior to the emergence of other research.

I did not misread your post. I simply disagreed with what you wrote ('Only peer reviewed articles in good journals, or academic books/chapters count as the kind of publication that would help an early career CV').

Each medium has its benefits and drawbacks. I mentioned that in some fields it is important to evidence civic and public engagement, and redferry agreed. (At Newcastle we hire students to act as 'street scientists' during events and engage with the general public and those from non-science backgrounds). There is no right or wrong way to progress academically.

For what it is worth, I think everything you said about blogs applies equally to journals. I also recently turned down the chance to contribute to a blog for some of the reasons you mentioned so I do see both sides of the fence. I think people just have to be pragmatic about when and where they publish as results are expected more quickly.

What are people's view on The Conversation? I had not heard of it until someone I work with was published in it. Seems very accessible.
I have seen an academic post I would be able to apply for but I don't know what to do. I don't know if I am tempted because I want to go into research or because I just want to get out of where I am now. It'd be out of London but would be quite a big pay cut and wouldn't be any closer to home, but then they've suspended any promotions for us at work so my career is effectively dead anyway.

I don't know how to make the decision on applying!
Reply 7777
Original post by Ethereal
I have seen an academic post I would be able to apply for but I don't know what to do. I don't know if I am tempted because I want to go into research or because I just want to get out of where I am now. It'd be out of London but would be quite a big pay cut and wouldn't be any closer to home, but then they've suspended any promotions for us at work so my career is effectively dead anyway.

Apply and see what you gut feeling is if/when you get an interview. I found that's a good marker of what you really want in life :smile:
Reply 7778
Original post by evantej

What are people's view on The Conversation? I had not heard of it until someone I work with was published in it. Seems very accessible.

Hadn't seen this before. Looks like a more accessible (for contributors) version of Project Syndicate, and with wider subject matter.
Original post by Ethereal

If you like the look of the job then apply. You do not have any decisions to make unless they actually offer you the post!

Latest

Trending

Trending