The Student Room Group
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website

Anyone starting Primary PGCE 2014/15 at Roehampton?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by halagoo
Yep I'm in my last year of my undergraduate degree now! I wasn't sure if I wanted to go straight from one to the other (I must be mad) but I'd rather get it all done now as I know what I want to do and I'm used to the work and everything! Have you been working with children?

No I haven't been working with children, have managed to do quite a bit of work experience though, has been something I've been thinking about for a while. Hopefully we'll hear something more soon from Roehampton, if not in a couple of weeks I'll probably email them asking about next steps, any applicant open days they have etc.
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website
Reply 21
Hey everyone could any of you possibly tell me how your interviews went?

I applied pretty late but got an interview at the end of April. What type of things were you asked, and how did the part where you had to use an object/game to talk about the learning process go? What objects did you use?

And what did you talk about for current educational issues? Sorry for being such a pain! But its the first uni that has gotten back to me so slightly nervous!:colondollar:

Zara
Reply 22
Original post by Zaraa-x
Hey everyone could any of you possibly tell me how your interviews went?

I applied pretty late but got an interview at the end of April. What type of things were you asked, and how did the part where you had to use an object/game to talk about the learning process go? What objects did you use?

And what did you talk about for current educational issues? Sorry for being such a pain! But its the first uni that has gotten back to me so slightly nervous!:colondollar:

Zara

Hi Zara,

First of all best of luck with your interview!

It's quite a long drawn out day and I think the key is not to let yourself get to worked up about it, they are not trying to trip you up.

The day starts with them checking out all your documents, make sure you have them all with you.

Then you do a short english test, you write a short essay so they can check your english and then a few simple grammar and spelling questions.

The 'presentation' section takes place when you have been called with one or two other students for your individual interviews. You then present your ideas to the small group and then the interview takes place.

The impression I got was that it doesn't really matter what object/game you bring just so long as you have a solid idea of how it relates to children's learning and how it helps them learn. I'd say try and do something you saw during your work experience so you can relate it to a real life experience.

As for current educational issues I didn't actually end up talking about any! I would say pick a couple you feel are relevant just in case they ask you.

One other bit of advice I would offer is try and pass your professional skills tests before your interview, I don't have any proof and it's just a feeling but I think I might not have been successful had I not already passed them.

Best of luck!
Anne
Reply 23
Hi Anne,

Thanks a lot for all that. I haven't taken my skills tests yet, but aim to do so before the interview!

I have an interview at Brunel on Thursday and they told me about it today! So last minute :colonhash: So I'm just planning for that right now. Have you accepted Roehampton? xx

Original post by Heggy
Hi Zara,

First of all best of luck with your interview!

It's quite a long drawn out day and I think the key is not to let yourself get to worked up about it, they are not trying to trip you up.

The day starts with them checking out all your documents, make sure you have them all with you.

Then you do a short english test, you write a short essay so they can check your english and then a few simple grammar and spelling questions.

The 'presentation' section takes place when you have been called with one or two other students for your individual interviews. You then present your ideas to the small group and then the interview takes place.

The impression I got was that it doesn't really matter what object/game you bring just so long as you have a solid idea of how it relates to children's learning and how it helps them learn. I'd say try and do something you saw during your work experience so you can relate it to a real life experience.

As for current educational issues I didn't actually end up talking about any! I would say pick a couple you feel are relevant just in case they ask you.

One other bit of advice I would offer is try and pass your professional skills tests before your interview, I don't have any proof and it's just a feeling but I think I might not have been successful had I not already passed them.

Best of luck!
Anne
Reply 24
hello, im going to be starting in september too. I'll be be doing KS2.

mikey im wondering if you can help, in the interview they said they can offer placements all over london? is it easy to say get one in north london?

i probably wouldn't be offered halls, as im less than 10 miles away. im not sure whether to move closer and be near uni, or just try and secure placements nearer to where i am now.

also how many days are we actually in uni and are all the days really 9-6?
Reply 25
wow haven't used this since I was waiting for my undertgraduate offers!! Haha hi, I'm Kate, i'm starting in September too doing KS2 :smile: Has anyone heard anything about how/when we apply for halls?
Reply 26
Hi Kate! You can apply now, I applied the other day :-) then they get back to you over summer to say if you're successful which is when you pay the deposit. Getting exciting now!
Harriet
Reply 27
Oh, and you apply through the accommodation section of the website!
Reply 28
Thank you! I'm getting dead nervous now - just in the last year of my undergraduate degree so having to head somewhere else is a little terrifying!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
No problem! It's easy to apply for as well! I'm the same, in my last year too be finished next month! I'm scared but it's a good scared, ready for a new challenge :biggrin: what are you studying?
Reply 30
Yeah all applied :smile: exciting! I'm studying psychology at surrey - I do a fair bit of work with special needs children :smile: what you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Awesome! I'm nervous about living in halls, been living in halls all 3 years of my degree and I really wanted to get into a house, had some troublesome flatmates this year but at least we will all be in the same boat next year.
That sounds good! I'm studying applied drama at the university of South Wales, I've done quite a bit of work with children but all involving drama so will be interesting to learn some other techniques for teaching haha!
Reply 32
Hi Everyone!

I've just accepted my offer for Foundation/KS1 at Roehampton. So excited to get started now! Looking forward to meeting you all in September.

Ellie
Reply 33
Dates for the Primary PGCE are on the website now, link below:smile:

http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/Templates/Pages/GeneralContent.aspx?id=2147501572
Reply 34
Is anyone taking part in any of the webinars? I had an email about them and I assume everyone else did too, not really sure what to expect but have signed up to the pgce primary one!
Reply 35
Anyone going to the taster day on the 27th June?
Reply 36
Has anyone sent off the letter to schools requesting to spend the first week of September observing how they set up etc ?

i assume we can choose any school ? In unsure wether to just attach the letter they gave us or add a little personal message to my email .
Original post by Lkll
Has anyone sent off the letter to schools requesting to spend the first week of September observing how they set up etc ?

i assume we can choose any school ? In unsure wether to just attach the letter they gave us or add a little personal message to my email .

It's advisable to personalise the message to some degree; a blank / generic email with an attachment isn't likely to be read.

Hope this helps :smile:
Hi everyone! I'm so glad I found this page! I'm Fi and will be studying for the PGCE Primary Foundation/KS1 in September! I'm excited to meet you all and get started! I've just finished my undergraduate degree in Childhood Studies at The University of Bristol so will be relaxing this summer before the hard work begins again!
Looking forward to speaking with you all!
Original post by Fionatravers
Hi everyone! I'm so glad I found this page! I'm Fi and will be studying for the PGCE Primary Foundation/KS1 in September! I'm excited to meet you all and get started! I've just finished my undergraduate degree in Childhood Studies at The University of Bristol so will be relaxing this summer before the hard work begins again!
Looking forward to speaking with you all!

Looking forward to meeting you too, Fiona! Don't hesitate to get in touch via this forum if you have any questions.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending