The Student Room Group

Meat eaters, defend your position

Scroll to see replies

Even animals eat meat. What the he'll is a humans excuse. Vegetarians are pathetic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TDWM

We rear livestock to be eaten. So your dilemma is unnecessarily contrived.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
We have canines.
Reply 23
Original post by keromedic
We rear livestock to be eaten. So your dilemma is unnecessarily contrived.

So you'd just exterminate all the sheep, cows and pigs?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2N-YkhV_Pt4/TaXEYLhQDCI/AAAAAAAABH8/2P1R9_RkIIA/s1600/Vegetarian-An-Ancient-Tribal-Slang_3173-l.jpg

I'm not a vegetarian but your logic is stupid.

They could simply just not be bred. Then the current generation of domestic livestock would be the last.
There's nothing to defend really.

A meal without meat makes me feel empty inside. I'd even have meat cornflakes if they made meat cornflakes.
It just tastes beautiful. Plus I don't feel strongly enough about animals to justify not eating meat
Original post by Electricity
Even animals eat meat. What the hell is a humans excuse. Vegetarians are pathetic

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
The same reason why animals eat other animals: for survival and for the fact that they contain minerals are really rare in vegetables.
Because humans are omnivores, it's one of the best sources of protein which is vital for growth and good health, and of course it tastes good.
(edited 10 years ago)
Health reasons.

Also I enjoy it, and I'm not some over-sensitive moralist who cares more about animal life than human.
Reply 31
I love animals and love meat so I stick to free range and high animal welfare food when I can
Reply 32
Original post by russellsteapot
There's nothing to defend really.

A meal without meat makes me feel empty inside. I'd even have meat cornflakes if they made meat cornflakes.

A meal without meat isn't a real meal.
Reply 33
Dead animal tastes good.
Original post by Electricity
Even animals eat meat. What the he'll is a humans excuse. Vegetarians are pathetic

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have proper brains, and sentience. Animals (on the whole) have no moral code. What animals do should be of no concern to us.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
We have proper brains, and sentience. Animals (on the whole) have no moral code. What animals do should be of no concern to us.

Why should it be of no concern. Animals maintain the world as much as we do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by keromedic
On why you eat meat.

For me, it boils to me not caring excessively about what happens to animals beyond keeping a certain amount of genetic diversity in the wild. At this point in time, anyway.

I expect I may progress my thinking at a later stage in my life.

Animals are beasts, they are not even aware of their own existence. Hence, we as humans are free to use them as we see fit since they lack humanity.
Tastes good.
Protein.
Convenient (I have SED so if I cut out meat it would be a total nightmare to find places to eat)
Food chain and all that.
Reply 38
Original post by felamaslen
Spending time in the company of a chicken will tell you all you need to know about why it is okay to kill chickens for meat.

I like the company of chickens! I really love their party trick where they sit on my table and shed bits of yummy stuff onto my plate.

Original post by Sunny_Smiles
to be honest with you I really can't - I know that I could probably live my life without eating meat and I would be making a positive impact on the inevitable change from human beings being meat eaters to non-meat eaters (at least this is my prediction because I think in the future we'll probably invent a very effective meat substitute that isn't noticeably fake like tofu/soy) but I am too hooked on the taste of meat (ham especially) and I admit I am not a very moral human being because of this and I have an awful lot of respect for vegetarians (and vegans) for actually practising a good code of morals by not perpetuating the industry of animal slaughter by consuming the products of which. maybe one day I'll face up to what I know is truly moral and become a vegetarian - because I really can't and do not deny that eating meat when it isn't strictly necessary is very immoral and the only thing I can logically justify it with is my own selfishness and disregard. if we accept that causing pain is immoral and causing animals pain for our illegitimate/unprincipled satisfaction is the justification which is not morally valid (in my opinion) then it is clear that vegetarianism is the superior moral position to take and I honestly don't think anybody can really justify meat eating morally - it would have to stand only upon "because it tastes good" and that isn't a valid excuse in my opinion because it causes pain and suffering beyond that temporary oral satisfaction

You ruined the moment when you said "oral satisfaction" imo.
Original post by maddo
You ruined the moment when you said "oral satisfaction" imo.

oh you...:redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending