The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8900
Original post by White Dress
[h="1"]“I have one child the one you shot today.”[/h]On 10 March 2014, Raed Zuayter, a distinguished judge and PhD holder, was killed by Israeli soldiers while crossing the border between Jordan and the West Bank of Palestine. Raed was a Jordanian citizen of Palestinian origin. His family is part of the Palestinian diaspora—refugees who had fled ethnic cleansing in 1948, war in 1967, and the Israeli invasion of Lebanon in 1982. A friend of mine, Carrie Schwartz, stays in Jordan and the Zuayter family asked her to record their story, “to express the truth in English”:[INDENT]Entering the living room of Raed Zuayter, I meet his widow, child, father, mother, father-in-law, mother-in-law, aunts, and uncles. Raed’s two-year-old daughter playfully skips between relatives. “She is too young to understand what happened,” her grandfather explains. As we drink Arabic coffee together, I feel a deep sadness and responsibility to tell their story accurately. I start the interview by asking Raed’s father about his son’s life:“He was born in 1976. He went to the best schools in Amman. After finishing high school, he went to the University of Jordan to study a bachelor’s in law. Then he asked me, ‘What do you think, Dad? Should we go for a master’s?’ I said, ‘We don’t mind.’ He finished his master’s and asked me, ‘What do you think, shall we go for PhD?’ And I answered him, ‘Yes, go for a PhD.’ When he finished his PhD, he went to the judicial institute to become a judge. In the judiciary, he was appointed as a judge for reconciliation. He got a raise on the first of March. He was promoted. And then he passed away.”The story of Raed’s death began with another tragedy: Raed’s four-year-old son was hospitalized. A lack of oxygen caused him to go into a coma. Raed decided to travel to the town of Nablus in Palestine, to collect rent from tenants to cover the cost of his son’s treatment.Raed traveled across the Jordan-Palestine border controlled by Israel. The process begins with security checks and immigration control on the Jordanian side. Then travelers are bused into a deserted “no man’s land” for additional security checks, before proceeding to the Israeli terminal.At this point, an Israeli soldier pushed Raed toward the bus. A verbal argument ensued. Raed’s father recounted the story told to him by eyewitnesses: “Raed told the soldier, ‘Why are you pushing me, because I’m going up in the bus? Why did you push me?’ and he was waving his hands.” Two additional soldiers approached and pushed Raed toward the street until he fell to his knees. The soldiers then aimed their weapons and fired five shots into his body, from a distance of three to four meters, killing him.Raed’s father recounted his interaction with the Israeli intelligence during the preliminary investigation:“They asked me, ‘How many kids do you have?’ I said, ‘I have one child—the one you shot today. Why did you kill him? Did you see any weapons with him?’ They said no. ‘So you did not see any weapons with him—why did you kill him? you knew that he was unarmed, and you wanted to take him in, then just take him, hold his hands, put him on the ground, but shoot him, five times? Why?”Raed was an innocent person, killed when his family needed him the most. On the day this piece was written, his son who had been in a coma passed away. Raed’s family is asking for justice: “The soldiers who shot him should be put on trial, and we need a just compensation for everything that happened to the family.”[/INDENT]Carrie Schwartz is an editor currently based in Amman, Jordan. She holds an MPhil in Justice and Transformation from the University of Cape Town, South Africa.Sources/further information:Interview with the family of Raed Zuayter, 21 March 2014, Amman, Jordan
Al-Haq Announces Investigation Results in Martyrdom of Judge Zuaiter (Arabic)
http://www.maannews.net/arb/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=682613
Palestinian advocacy group says Israeli soldiers ‘intended’ to kill Jordanian judgehttp://jordantimes.com/palestinian-advocacy-group-says-israeli-soldiers-intended-to-kill-jordanian-judge

Why do we turn a blind eye to this? Why do we as a society not put more pressure on our 'leaders' to act against this? This is not an Israel vs Palestine debate, this is a question aimed at exploring why we as a society either disregard these human rights abuses? Is it because we don't know they're occurring? Is it because Palestinian warriors 'do the same'? Is it because we (both as individuals or as a society) have more important things to worry about? Is it because we 'can't do anything' (as individuals or as the UK)? Is it because this is classified as a byproduct of the conflict? This is not an Israel vs Palestine debate, this is aimed at exploring why the UK as a society ignores these instances of human rights abuse.

Why do we, the individuals of the UK, consistently and blatantly disregard the unprovoked murders that Israel carries out on citizens of other countries/of the Palestinian territories?

Why do we sympathise so much with a country governed by a recognised terrorist group? All this Israel hate is so stupid, why not pick Iran, Saudi, Pakistan, China they all have much worse human rights records

Posted from TSR Mobile
if the account is true then the Israeli soldiers should be jailed. Israel has a functioning judicial system, unlike its terrorist neighbors.
Original post by the bear
if the account is true then the Israeli soldiers should be jailed. Israel has a functioning judicial system, unlike its terrorist neighbors.

The hilarity
The hilarity

perhaps this will help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_system_of_Israel
Why do we, the individuals of the UK, consistently and blatantly disregard the unprovoked murders that Israel carries out on citizens of other countries/of the Palestinian territories?

Simply put, Israel is untouchable because of American patronage and the guilt over the Holocaust.
Reply 8905
Original post by anarchism101
How? Would Hamas disarming magically put an end to the occupation of the West Bank?

I'm not saying Israel is right to settle at the West Bank, I personally think they should remove settlements there.
But points to note - Israel actually captured the West Bank off Jordan during the 1967 war so therefore they didn't actually take it from Palestine.
If I remember correctly, Israeli actually started to pull back from the West Bank in 2005 but terrorist action meant they stopped that & reversed it.
Israeli forces handcuff and blindfold a child for interrogation and arrest. This is not right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
unhuman
But Israel is like, the symbol of human rights and civilisation there right, right? Am I right people? :rolleyes:

****ing bull****, Israel gets away with this kind of bull****.
Original post by The_Dragonborn
But Israel is like, the symbol of human rights and civilisation there right, right? Am I right people? :rolleyes:

Ikr. Most happens behind cameras.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who cares? Doesn't affect us.

Israel can do whatever the **** they like anyway, because they've got America's backing.
I they both just admitted they are both wrong they could just share it in harmony.
Original post by Silver Arrows
Who cares? Doesn't affect us.

Israel can do whatever the **** they like anyway, because they've got America's backing.

thats very cold hearted, would you like it if an invading army did that to you, israel is an apartheid state and needs to be dealt with asap,
Original post by MarkAustinPowers
thats very cold hearted, would you like it if an invading army did that to you, israel is an apartheid state and needs to be dealt with asap,

So go send the Army in there then. Oh wait, you can't. Neither can I. Therefore it isn't my problem.
Original post by Silver Arrows
So go send the Army in there then. Oh wait, you can't. Neither can I. Therefore it isn't my problem.

i wish i could, shame.
People in Palestine have keys to their homes in occupied palestine

Whilst the Isreali govt offers tax incentives and other subsidies to french jews to move to Israel
Reply 8916
Fake image. No source. Nice propaganda.
Original post by The_Dragonborn

Actually it is. Despite what happens in the West Bank, Israel remains the only hope for a democratic middle east. The rest of the place needs to follow its example.
Original post by samba

lol whatever, when you see fake video clips of bbc apparently showing assad using chemical weapons on his own people their not fake are they lol,
Original post by samba

You must be an Israel soldier living on illegally occupied land.
Original post by MarkAustinPowers
lol whatever, when you see fake video clips of bbc apparently showing assad using chemical weapons on his own people their not fake are they lol,

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending