The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5620
thanks for the help with the van mildert phone reception. All the phone companies claim reception but I had heard that within the college some were better than others.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Best college?
Original post by Magickal
I'm at Cuth's, it's a good college, we have a mix of people. Some people are drinkers, some aren't, there's no pressure to be either if that's not what you want to do. Cuth's has a serious, academic side too, with a range of activities that happen during the year from Academic fora to Social Comm's events like Oktoberfest.

Original post by KayteeKaytee
Almost all the colleges have people in them who like to drink a lot. This is fairly typical of students in all universities. However, students at Durham seem to have more work to do than many students so don't by any means spend the whole time drinking. There are also lots of people who don't drink at all and this is not in any way a problem. Cuth's is a great college. I'm sure you will love it.

Thanks! Have any of you tried the food at cuths and what's it like? Are there many people who go for the meal option even if they are at parsons? edit: how much do meals cost? do many people use the jcr and are there basins/sinks in all rooms?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5623
I will be visiting Durham on Saturday(12) to have a look around as I have not decided which university to choose. What would be recommended to do to get a look at the UNI?
Original post by Busteren
I will be visiting Durham on Saturday(12) to have a look around as I have not decided which university to choose. What would be recommended to do to get a look at the UNI?

Definitely try and get a look at your college if possible, as well as your department if you can do (this is probably easier with science subjects, though!) Other than that, the library would be a good place to check out, and also to just take a walk through the town so you can see where you'd be living. It's pretty small, and you'd get to have a look at some of the other buildings at the same time, such as the cathedral and castle. Anything else would be up to you, but some things might be harder to see than others, particularly being a Saturday out of term time.
Original post by qwertyuiopg
Thanks! Have any of you tried the food at cuths and what's it like? Are there many people who go for the meal option even if they are at parsons? edit: how much do meals cost? do many people use the jcr and are there basins/sinks in all rooms?

The food is standard, very carbohydrate heavy. I think it's about £600 (although I'm not sure on this figure) for the meal package which is 10 meals a week. There are sinks in all the rooms. People use the JCR in Brooks as it has a TV with a DVD player and a pool table. The one on the Bailey is used less as it is used to get to the dining hall.
Original post by Busteren

If you email/ring the college, they can usually find someone to show you round the college, especially if given a bit of warning.
currently holding an offer for education studies w/ english, having been rejected for straight english. If I were to firm durham does anyone know who likely it'd be for me to change to straight english via adjustment, if I were do to particularly well on results day?
Reply 5628
Original post by orangeKUBRICK
currently holding an offer for education studies w/ english, having been rejected for straight english. If I were to firm durham does anyone know who likely it'd be for me to change to straight english via adjustment, if I were do to particularly well on results day?

Can't say how likely it is, especially with English being so competitive. However, adjustment isn't the best way to do this - IMO a better thing to do would be to try and transfer once you're here. Again, can't say how likely it is as there are so many things which will affect it, but it makes more sense than trying to do it via adjustment. Best of luck :smile:
Original post by orangeKUBRICK

English is very competitive and it will depend very much on how many English offer holders meet their offers. Applying through adjustment (as far as I can remember) costs you nothing so might be worth a go. Waiting until you get there is a big gamble. Switching to a more competitive course, while not impossible, is extremely difficult (with perhaps a significant number of people on your course trying to do the same thing).

If your results are better than expected, I would try ringing the department direct as soon as possible on results day. Again, it won't affect your place on the course you've been offered and you might be lucky. However, you really can't bank on any of this. I would be wary of accepting a place at Durham based on a hope that you can switch.
Am worried about this article (college reallocation to Hatfield / comprehensive school background!). Is it true that other students behave like this? http://www.palatinate.org.uk/?p=42772 If it is true, is the University doing something about it? Visited Hatfield and all the people we met were charming, so this seems very unfair.
1. Does your college choice affect your chances of being offered a place? (i.e. if I choose University College, am I making life more difficult for myself [I assume it's the most popular college?])

2. Do you get a lot of "lol, guess you weren't good enough for Oxbridge" stuff from people outside of Durham (especially from Oxbridge students)?
Reply 5632
Original post by LRT12
Am worried about this article (college reallocation to Hatfield / comprehensive school background!). Is it true that other students behave like this? http://www.palatinate.org.uk/?p=42772 If it is true, is the University doing something about it? Visited Hatfield and all the people we met were charming, so this seems very unfair.

Occasionally people take it too far, but that's true for all kinds of things. You'd be better emailing/asking someone who actually is there so they can tell you what it's like, but from what I've come across it's all in good jest. Do other students behave like this? Only a minority, IMO! :smile:

Original post by Катя
1. Does your college choice affect your chances of being offered a place? (i.e. if I choose University College, am I making life more difficult for myself [I assume it's the most popular college?])

2. Do you get a lot of "lol, guess you weren't good enough for Oxbridge" stuff from people outside of Durham (especially from Oxbridge students)?

1. No. Your application is dealt with by the department - they decide who gets an offer. Your college is decided once you have an offer.

2. Not personally, and besides - who cares? Durham's better than both of those anyway :P
Original post by Катя

1. Not in the slightest. You apply for both at the same time through UCAS, but your college choice is not considered until your department(s) have made you an offer. They then sort out the college allocations, though I don't think anyone's quite sure of how the new system is working!

2. The only place I ever see any of that is on TSR! I've never known anyone else to have any comment to make on the matter. Even one of my best friends, currently at Oxford, has nothing bad to say about Durham. I guess people won't make comments like that to you to your face...
Occasionally people take it too far, but that's true for all kinds of things. You'd be better emailing/asking someone who actually is there so they can tell you what it's like, but from what I've come across it's all in good jest. Do other students behave like this? Only a minority, IMO!

The article suggests that at the Freshers week, some students went beyond 'taking it too far' into intimidation. I would have thought that the university would be concerned about that happening. Sadly, all it needs is a few idiots to make peoples' lives a misery. Why are there anti Hatfield songs for a start....? Article - http://www.palatinate.org.uk/?p=42772
Reply 5635
Original post by LRT12
Occasionally people take it too far, but that's true for all kinds of things. You'd be better emailing/asking someone who actually is there so they can tell you what it's like, but from what I've come across it's all in good jest. Do other students behave like this? Only a minority, IMO!

The article suggests that at the Freshers week, some students went beyond 'taking it too far' into intimidation. I would have thought that the university would be concerned about that happening. Sadly, all it needs is a few idiots to make peoples' lives a misery. Why are there anti Hatfield songs for a start....? Article - http://www.palatinate.org.uk/?p=42772

I agree, it's sad that some people are idiots. But it's freshers week; people get too drunk, carried away with the banter, and it happens. Furthermore, during fresher's week there will almost certainly be freps around if you need reassurance or w/e.
Reply 5636
I'm at Hatfield and trust me the chants aren't anywhere near as bad as this article makes out. It honestly is just a bit of fun and if anything it helps all the Hatfield freshers to bond more as a group, I found it all really amusing and also really fun to chant back! In terms of not getting to sleep that's just because some of the bedrooms are on the Bailey and it is noisy during Freshers Week. The Freps are there all week, both from Hatfield and other Colleges, and if the chanting did get out of hand they'd control it.
Also please don't be concerned about coming to Hatfield from a state school background! It may have a reputation for being a bit 'public school' but I'm from a comprehensive school and I LOVE it - there's something for everyone and everyone you meet is so so nice.
Original post by M94N
I'm at Hatfield and trust me the chants aren't anywhere near as bad as this article makes out. It honestly is just a bit of fun and if anything it helps all the Hatfield freshers to bond more as a group, I found it all really amusing and also really fun to chant back! In terms of not getting to sleep that's just because some of the bedrooms are on the Bailey and it is noisy during Freshers Week. The Freps are there all week, both from Hatfield and other Colleges, and if the chanting did get out of hand they'd control it.
Also please don't be concerned about coming to Hatfield from a state school background! It may have a reputation for being a bit 'public school' but I'm from a comprehensive school and I LOVE it - there's something for everyone and everyone you meet is so so nice.

Thanks - that is so reassuring!
Can you bring non-college/Durham friends to formals, specifically at Castle?
Reply 5639
Original post by EvanJackPenn
Can you bring non-college/Durham friends to formals, specifically at Castle?

I would assume so. You definitely can at John's, and there's nothing on the Castle website that says otherwise. If it's a major concern, you can always email and find out :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending