The Student Room Group

So, you want to do a ski season?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Temp ski instructing job in Japan or stay at home with permanent job and possibility of 2-3 weeks of instructing in Austria and Switzerland?

EDIT: Japan. Obviously. Visa comes through next week, fly out end of Nov.
(edited 10 years ago)
Has anyone had any experience with EA (extreme adventure) ski season internships? I'm thinking of maybe doing the internship in Mount Hutt, New Zealand mid Jun-Sept between Alevels and Uni so then I don't have to take a gap year. What sort of standard of skier do you have to be? I am pretty confident on and off piste but am concerned that everyone there would be amazing. :/
Reply 442
Original post by AnnaElsbeth97
Has anyone had any experience with EA (extreme adventure) ski season internships? I'm thinking of maybe doing the internship in Mount Hutt, New Zealand mid Jun-Sept between Alevels and Uni so then I don't have to take a gap year. What sort of standard of skier do you have to be? I am pretty confident on and off piste but am concerned that everyone there would be amazing. :/

Not done it, but doubt that you'd have pro-level freeskiers turning up, a solid skiing ability on all terrains would be more than adequate. When I did my instructor course we had people pitching up who'd only done 1 or 2 weeks skiing in the past.

But, are you sure you'd want to be on a different continent and opposite timezones from results and UCAS? Surely you're making your life impossibly hard to deal with unless you've already got an unconditional offer?
Original post by Drewski
Not done it, but doubt that you'd have pro-level freeskiers turning up, a solid skiing ability on all terrains would be more than adequate. When I did my instructor course we had people pitching up who'd only done 1 or 2 weeks skiing in the past.

But, are you sure you'd want to be on a different continent and opposite timezones from results and UCAS? Surely you're making your life impossibly hard to deal with unless you've already got an unconditional offer?

Thanks, makes me feel like I would fit in okay! That's a good point and certainly worth me considering!!
Reply 444
Has anyone done the a season with smaller earth or oyster?

They seem to be the only companies doing seasons in canada at the moment. For anyone that has did you go on your own or with friends?
Seems to be a good alternative for working in the city.
Reply 446
Hi everyone,

I'm in my final year at uni in the UK and am interested in doing a season during the 2014-2015 winter season but have never done one before. Preferably a season in the US (I have a US passport).

I'm quite interested in a chalet assistant position. I did a 5 day 'Off to university' cookery course at Orchards cookery two years ago. My question is, is this enough to get a position? I don't have any other evidence of cooking ability. I also volunteered at the paralympics as someone who answers spectators questions, but I don't have much relevant experience otherwise. (I do have a pretty impressive CV academically and have got involved in societies etc. at uni - great evidence of organisational ability).

Is it necessary to boost my CV with a cookery course to get an assistant position? What other jobs could I hope to get at a ski resort with my CV?

Any advice/info would be really appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Reply 447
Original post by qwertyolo
Hi everyone,

I'm in my final year at uni in the UK and am interested in doing a season during the 2014-2015 winter season but have never done one before. Preferably a season in the US (I have a US passport).

I'm quite interested in a chalet assistant position. I did a 5 day 'Off to university' cookery course at Orchards cookery two years ago. My question is, is this enough to get a position? I don't have any other evidence of cooking ability. I also volunteered at the paralympics as someone who answers spectators questions, but I don't have much relevant experience otherwise. (I do have a pretty impressive CV academically and have got involved in societies etc. at uni - great evidence of organisational ability).

Is it necessary to boost my CV with a cookery course to get an assistant position? What other jobs could I hope to get at a ski resort with my CV?

Thanks so much!

I have no idea how it works in the US, but if you were wanting to do one in Europe (through a UK company) this is how i would answer your questions:

Yes your experience is enough to get you a position (probably a better paid host position too)
No you dont need to do another cookery course, just say you did one at orchards and leave it at that only expand (saying when and that it was a 'going off to uni' course rather than a chalet course) if they ask you too.
You could probably be a rep too, or a ski instructor if you forked out for the course.
Reply 448
Original post by qwertyolo
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much!

Chalet holidays are really only a European - and specifically British and Dutch - thing. Doesn't really happen elsewhere in the world. If you're after a chalet-based position, then, especially to use your cooking, then you're looking at Europe and either France or Italy.
Reply 449
Hi I am thinking of doing a ski season, I was wondering when would be the best time to start looking for 2014/2015. I suppose most ski companies are dealing with current season and not thinking about getting people in for December. I have seen a few jobs for the last bit of this season. Anyone got any tips?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi. I am going to be a gap student next year and would love to work in a chalet. The only problem is that I am German and do not have National Insurance or an english bank account and therefore i would not be hired by any english based chalet companies. Do you know of any Chalet companies based in switzerland or germany that would hire me?
Reply 451
Tamara, as you are an EU citizen I am sure you are permitted to work for any British Company...there may just be a requirement for you to be able to speak adequate English so that you can communicate with the guests!

I have just found an ad on a site called AlpJob for Children's activities instructors in Switzerland (as I am looking too) for a company that have actually stated that you must be an EU or EFTA national which includes the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Cyprus, Malta, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovenia, Slovak Republic.

They mention Germany :smile:

Dan...
Reply 452
Original post by DanPewlet
I was wondering when would be the best time to start looking for 2014/2015.

Most companies begin actively recruiting in May/June, although some will accept applications before that.
Reply 453
Original post by Tamara Taylor
Hi. I am going to be a gap student next year and would love to work in a chalet. The only problem is that I am German and do not have National Insurance or an english bank account and therefore i would not be hired by any english based chalet companies. Do you know of any Chalet companies based in switzerland or germany that would hire me?

It is actually possible to get a national insurance number if you have an EU passport, if that's a route you're interested in looking in to.
Hi! I've done some research and found that there are a few places to ski in Spain. I'm learning Spanish so I think that for me, working in a Spanish resort would be more beneficial and relevant than in a French one. Does anyone know any good recruitment places/websites that I can look on to find Spanish places? Or companies? Thanks!
Hey, just starting to look into specifics about doing a season next year, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which companies are best to work for, for Chalet Host roles? Thanks! :biggrin:
I have another question, do you need a car to work a season as a chalet host? And do you need to speak that country's language?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 457
Original post by hatcs001
I have another question, do you need a car to work a season as a chalet host? And do you need to speak that country's language?

Short answer: no & no.

Some companies do ask for staff to have a valid driving license, for example if they are a company who drive guests directly to the slope if their chalet is more than a stones-throw away (I believe Scott Dunn do this, but haven't checked recently).

As a chalet host, it will be helpful to speak a little of the language, as you might have to call restaurants to make bookings for guests on the chalet day off, but I don't think it's something that will immediately cross you off the list for somewhere if you can't, if you're otherwise well suited to the job. Worth remembering though that not many tour operators give you the choice of where to go, so if you speak French, that's not necessarily going to mean you end up in a French resort.
Reply 458
Just back from season number 5.

To answer a few q's...

It's always handy to speak a little of the language, but as a host it's not a requirement for UK tour operators. You have reps and management for that.

The only time I know of when you would need your own vehicle is a few rep/resort management roles where you are covering more than 1 resort. (Inghams have a few of these roles.)

When to apply varies by company. Just keep checking back on their websites. Usually mid May onwards though.

As a first timer, you won't get a choice of resorts unless you have a specific skill. You will be asked for a preference, but that's about as good as it gets. Returners pretty much get where they request unless a load of returners want the same job.

Sockpirate...depends on your priorities. If you want max slope time and less cash/tips, go for a big tour op like Total/Esprit/Inghams or Crystal. If you're not so bothered by slope time but want a better wage/tips, go higher end like Scott Dunn, or one of the many, many smaller boutique chalet companies. The better the company, the higher the price of the holiday and the higher the guests expectations. Therefore the longer you'll be in the chalet cooking/cleaning.
Wow, thanks Simeon! That really helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest