The Student Room Group

There is nothing special about being a "90's kid"

and people think there is, are being just as pathetic and irritating as old people who claim the 60's were the best decade

Everybody's youth is special to them because it is their youth, rather than the actual time being particularly good or unique in itself

Just thought I would let you know
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I agree, I don't mind the trend as in getting all nostalgic about the 90's but claiming 90's kids are the best etc is just silly, the bias of some people is overwhelming
Reply 2
I hate people who say "well back in my day......"

that being said though, I do look back fondly to the 90s.
Reply 3
You're taking it far too seriously.
'Everyone's youth is special to them' - yes, exactly. And some peoples' youth is the 90's. Thus, the 90's are special to them, and they can be as hyperbolic about how brilliant the 90's were as they wish. Every generation thinks they are the edgiest, the smartest, that their rebels are the craziest/do the most drugs. They're all wrong. But there's no harm in it. Chill.
Yep. It's fine to be nostalgic and that but it gets annoying and immature when it turns into 'I'm better than you because of when I grew up'. Seriously?! I don't mean the people who do it jokingly though, just those who genuinely believe and feel the need to announce it constantly :dry:
Reply 5
I don't think anyone particularly brags about being born in the 90s do they?

Lots of people including myself enjoyed the decade very much and like to talk about it now and then with others born then but i've not yet come across a particularly large enough number of people who've said it was the best decade ever that it warrants a thread to put them down.
I dropped the screw in the tuna.
Original post by awe
You're taking it far too seriously.
'Everyone's youth is special to them' - yes, exactly. And some peoples' youth is the 90's. Thus, the 90's are special to them, and they can be as hyperbolic about how brilliant the 90's were as they wish. Every generation thinks they are the edgiest, the smartest, that their rebels are the craziest/do the most drugs. They're all wrong. But there's no harm in it. Chill.

No I'm not

people take it way too far

20 years on their old gameboys playing Pokemon Red etc in a really "loud" overt fashion-it is just so grating
Reply 8
I remember people being the same about the 80s when I was a teenager. What I don't get is the people born in the late 90s who claim to be 90s kids, I mean I don't claim to be an 80s kid because I barely remember it.

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/6882367/10-things-that-arent-from-the-90s-you-idiots

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Well it was the last time we had a Tory Government, so it's special to me.
(edited 10 years ago)
I was 5 in 1999 - so I'd very vaguely call myself a 90s kid :lol:
people calling themselves that term any being born in 1995 have no excuse - being 3 in 1999 is being a "90s toddler"
Reply 11
Original post by yo radical one

20 years on their old gameboys playing Pokemon Red etc in a really "loud" overt fashion-it is just so grating

Maybe they just want to play Pokemon on their old Gameboy and relish the 'retro', take joy in reminiscing? It's so bitter to hate that. My partner and I have a huge Gameboy console and game collection because they're freaking great. What's wrong with that?
Reply 12
and people think there is, are being just as pathetic and irritating as old people who claim the 60's were the best decade

Everybody's youth is special to them because it is their youth, rather than the actual time being particularly good or unique in itself

Just thought I would let you know

Jeeeeez louise jealous? What's wrong with a bit of nostalgia? Most of the members here are of an age where they were born and grew up in the 90's so what's wrong with sharing memories from that time?

Better than endless trolls and generic relationship threads IMO
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by james1211
I don't think anyone particularly brags about being born in the 90s do they?

Lots of people including myself enjoyed the decade very much and like to talk about it now and then with others born then but i've not yet come across a particularly large enough number of people who've said it was the best decade ever that it warrants a thread to put them down.

Ive seen/heard people referring to 90s kids as "the last generation with common sense" or "the last generation who had a real childhood".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
90s were the best. Deal WITH IT OP.
Original post by Tom78
Jeeeeez louise jealous? What's wrong with a bit of nostalgia? Most of the members here are of an age where they were born and grew up in the 90's so what's wrong with sharing memories from that time?

I am a 90's kid :colonhash:

Original post by Red one
90s were the best. Deal WITH IT OP.

Reported :teehee:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16

Reported

Definition please..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by gemmam
Ive seen/heard people referring to 90s kids as "the last generation with common sense" or "the last generation who had a real childhood".

Posted from TSR Mobile

:dontknow:

People say all kinds of crap. It's best not to think too hard about it.
Original post by Tom78
Definition please..

Literally it means you can only be sure your own mind exists, the idea

but how so many of the things people see as special about the 90's, either pre-existed them (i.e. corded phones) or are only special because it was your childhood when you experienced it (i.e. stupid TV shows like Friends)
Reply 19

I'm just not a solipsistic ****

Reported :teehee:

:frown:

Latest