The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Exactly what everyone else has said. You'd have a lot more information to base a decision on if you went to interview and got offered it :smile:
Original post by evantej
I did not misread your post. I simply disagreed with what you wrote ('Only peer reviewed articles in good journals, or academic books/chapters count as the kind of publication that would help an early career CV').

Each medium has its benefits and drawbacks. I mentioned that in some fields it is important to evidence civic and public engagement, and redferry agreed. (At Newcastle we hire students to act as 'street scientists' during events and engage with the general public and those from non-science backgrounds). There is no right or wrong way to progress academically.

Well I don't disagree with any of that, so I think you are disagreeing with a view I don't hold.

My field is just the same as all the others in facing increasing pressure to demonstrate 'impact' and 'engagement'. Blogs are definitely a part of it. However, it remains the case that someone someone fresh out of a PhD who had a good blogging presence, but no publications would be disadvantaged compared to someone with good publications but no jobs. Departments have to think about the REF and how risky you are in terms of reliability at turning out academic publications. As you say, they have different pros and cons, but I was being very specific about the context of getting academic jobs, not about the wider benefits, when I brought that point up.
I discovered that a couple of libraries in Paris have lots of books in French that could be useful for my dissertation. Dad offered me to take me with him next week while he's at work, and it turns out that KCL is a partner of one of the universities so I don't have to pay to get access to the collections. :proud:

Also, I was in a touch with a company that had a job offer for Russian speakers, and even though I didn't have the level they needed, the guy told me he'd put me on their contact list for next time they recruited. I got an email yesterday telling me they'd like to arrange an interview, which is a little odd given that I think it's an email that was sent to people who'd previously apply, and I hadn't sent them anything, haha, so they don't have my CV or a cover letter or references or anything. I replied anyway saying I was interested, now to see what they do :holmes:
Helloooooooooooo lovely GOGs :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Helloooooooooooo lovely GOGs :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

How was Israel ? Did you enjoy it ? How did you find the food? Lots of halva in your stomach? (Nom nom nom)
:hello:

Halva :coma:
Although I've not been able to find a really good source of it since moving to the UK :frown: A deli in Pretoria where I grew up had the most sumptious halva ever (La Spiga, in case you're interested sj!)
Writing my first piece of work for publication right now, and I'm like this: :afraid:
A bottle of cider has gotten me the first few lines, at least :rolleyes:
Original post by Craghyrax
Although I've not been able to find a really good source of it since moving to the UK :frown: A deli in Pretoria where I grew up had the most sumptious halva ever (La Spiga, in case you're interested sj!)

Me neither, the one they made in Jerusalem was just far superior, haha.

Writing my first piece of work for publication right now, and I'm like this: :afraid:
A bottle of cider has gotten me the first few lines, at least :rolleyes:

"Write drunk; edit sober"? :p:
Best of luck with it!
Original post by Anatheme
How was Israel ? Did you enjoy it ? How did you find the food? Lots of halva in your stomach? (Nom nom nom)

:hello:

I stayed away from the halva since I'm not a big fan of its Sri Lankan equivalent :colondollar: I did eat THE WORLD of houmous though :tongue: Tiz good to be back :biggrin: I had a good time :yep: And only flipped out once, so that was good too :colondollar:
Reply 7789
I don't like halva, in Israel or out of it :biggrin: Love falafel though.

In the midst of another essay (one of what seems like an endless profession of them) but while in the midst of all the :work: also just thinking how much I am absolutely loving the course :heart: :h:

TLG, glad you enjoyed the trip!
Kitty hoping your admin hassles re moving get sorted out soon :hugs:
Ethereal, agree you should apply and then see what happens
...have probably missed other comment-worthy stuff, sorry :getmecoat:
Really good article on women and confidence in the Atlantic:
http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/04/the-confidence-gap/359815/
Most of it isn't new, but its very thorough, and a lot of the details are things that I think most women need reminding of again and again. It should be interesting to men too, as it the research included studied both men and women and how they respond differently to things.
Original post by Anatheme
Me neither, the one they made in Jerusalem was just far superior, haha.

"Write drunk; edit sober"? :p:
Best of luck with it!

Probably best I don't have access to it, or I'd eat too much of it.

Yeh that was the idea, but its so damn hard that I think the outcome was the same. I'm starting off with some big generalisations and bold statements that I feel very dodgy about. So once I can power through those, I think I'll be on safer territory and will find writing psychologically easier.
Hello all. Dr Feefifofum here. :biggrin:
Reply 7792
Original post by Feefifofum

:woo: :party: :dancing2:

:five:

:ahee: :woo: :yay: :danceboy: :nutcase: :crazy: :awesome: :party: :yeah: :cool: :smug:

Congratulations ! :biggrin:
Congrats :woo:
Reply 7796

Awesome. Congratulations!
Congrats, Dr. Feefifofum! :biggrin:

You've graduated already? :eek: So, no corrections then?
Reply 7799
Can someone explain to me what this thread is about? What does GoG mean?

Latest

Trending

Trending