The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

BSc Mathematics and Finance - Is it good?

Hi everyone!

I have received an offer from City University of London for BSc Mathematics and Finance (this year's intake). TBH, I applied for this course just by looking at the title of the course. But now I have read the course structure, and I have found that it doesn't offer financial subjects such as derivatives, risk analysis, portfolio management etc, and it focuses on microeconomics and financial reporting (if I am not wrong financial reporting is related to accounting, right?). Also, it doesn't offer the mathematical subjects such as stochastic processes, stochastic calculus, stochastic analysis etc, though it has probability in first year but I am interested to study at least stochastic calculus at undergraduate level.

I have applied at another institute, and I am waiting for the outcome of my application, and I really want to join that course because that matches very closely to my academic interests.

Now lets say if I don't get an offer from other university (God forbid) then I will have to join City University of London. So what are future rewards of this course in terms of job and further studies (assume that I will get first class or minimum 2:1)? Should I concentrate on this course and then after the successful completion of this course I should apply for MSc in Financial Mathematics at places like LSE, IC, Oxrbidge etc so that I can start my professional career as a quant?

I will appreciate if someone can shed some light my questions.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by BobWey00192
x

Take a look at Cass Business School (City University London). Take a look at Investment & Financial Risk Management.

http://www.cass.city.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Take a look at Cass Business School (City University London). Take a look at Investment & Financial Risk Management.

http://www.cass.city.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate

Thanks.

As I have already applied to all 5 choices through UCAS so it is late for me, right? :frown:

The course (Investment & Financial Risk Management) looks interesting but I want to study probability and real analysis together so that I can acquire skills to solve stochastic calculus problems from Proofs point of view. And by the end of the course I want to have much knowledge and skills so that I can solve stochastic differential equations, grip on continuous and discrete probability, jump processes (from statistics point of view) etc. I think that at the moment I should for the decisions from my other choices, and in the end if I join CIty University then I will focus on course (though I don't like abstract algebra. Actually, I want a path (BSc degree course) which starts from proof writing and covers Spivak's level calculus and ends at Ruddin's analysis), and I won't care too much about the future reward, and I will try to get in LSE or IC for masters in FM.

Thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 3

Was it this course structure you had a look at? Because I can't see how it focuses on microeconomics and financial reporting. I had to sit for Finance and Financial Reporting while taking actuarial exams so it's not just an accouting topic.

You'll get to pick modules you want to study later on during the course - normally in years 2 and 3 so you should find out if the ones you want to take are available. Try this.

On the whole, City isn't too bad a place to study if you opt for that particular course. And it's probably a good idea to do something like LSE's Financial Maths MSc later on but you have time for that.

And if the worst were to happen and you got rejected from your other choices or if you decide you want to do a different course, there's always clearing.

Good luck
Reply 4
Original post by thisworked
Was it this course structure you had a look at? Because I can't see how it focuses on microeconomics and financial reporting. I had to sit for Finance and Financial Reporting while taking actuarial exams so it's not just an accouting topic.

You'll get to pick modules you want to study later on during the course - normally in years 2 and 3 so you should find out if the ones you want to take are available. Try this.

On the whole, City isn't too bad a place to study if you opt for that particular course. And it's probably a good idea to do something like LSE's Financial Maths MSc later on but you have time for that.

And if the worst were to happen and you got rejected from your other choices or if you decide you want to do a different course, there's always clearing.

Good luck

Many thanks for a very comprehensive reply.

Yes, I looked at the same webpage of the course but I didn't look at the pdf file (my mistake, sorry)

I am very much happy & really looking forward to start this course :smile: because in second & third year I will have the option to study some very interesting modules such as dynamical systems, real analysis, apps of prob & stats, stochastic models, prob & stats etc

Are you student at City University & doing the same course? (If yes, then what is the success rate to enter in investment banks in terms of finance & quant related jobs?). Do you think that this course expects proof writing as prerequisite or will they teach us that how to write nice proofs? I think that first year's modules such as Functions, Vectors and Calculus & Algebra will cover this, right? The finance modules are offered by CASS?
(Sorry for so many questions)
(edited 10 years ago)

Yes, I looked at the same webpage of the course but I didn't look at the pdf file (my mistake, sorry)

I am very much happy & really looking forward to start this course :smile: because in second & third year I will have the option to study some very interesting modules such as dynamical systems, real analysis, apps of prob & stats, stochastic models, prob & stats etc

Are you student at City University & doing the same course? (If yes, then what is the success rate to enter in investment banks in terms of finance & quant related jobs?). Do you think that this course expects proof writing as prerequisite or will they teach us that how to write nice proofs? I think that first year's modules such as Functions, Vectors and Calculus & Algebra will cover this, right? The finance modules are offered by CASS?

Although, I'm not at university yet, I've heard only Cass students get to use the facilities offered in the Cass's department such as Library/Bloomberg terminals/Tutoring which puts them at a distinct advantage. If you want to break into banking, read this article.

For British graduates entering investment banking on graduate schemes in London (this accounts for approximately 90% of the intake), there is a clear trend of preference amongst the banks for Oxbridge and Russell Group graduates, although investment banks do accept applications from all university graduates. Attending LSE/UCL/ Warwick/ Imperial/Cass Business School is also beneficial.

The majority of the intake top tier front office roles at the top 6 investment banks, namely Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, UBS and JPMorgan will come from the top 6 universities on the list.

http://www.wikijob.co.uk/wiki/investment-banking

I was at BAML yesterday, they said that Cass was one of the target schools they attend and that they )alongside many other banks) have made a clear distinction between the courses offered by Cass & City. Although, that's not to say a degree in City it is impossible to break into banking, as there were employees there (be-it back office) who had a degree from places such as Aston (which to be fair is still pretty good).

I was on the Risk Management desk and most of the workers there who did have a pure Maths degree were in the top 5 universities.
Reply 6

Glad I could help :smile:

I did my undergraduate in actuarial science at Cass and I had a number of modules with BSc maths and finance people. We had probability modules and stochastic processes in common, which were taught by Cass lecturers. Your financial modules will probably also be taught by Cass lecturers - I know it was the case for some of my friends who did engineering with financial components. On the whole, the maths and finance course is structured similarly to the actuarial science course and it also lets you gain exemptions from the institute and faculty of actuaries exams (6 or 8, I don't remember exactly). You probably aren't really interested in those though, since you mentioned you wanted to be a Quant.

As far as learning resources are concerned - you will get pretty much everything you need at the main library and the waterstones downstairs. You also have access to the bloomberg terminals at the library. They frequently have free bloomberg trainings so it's not just a cass thing. I think you also have access to the cass building with your student card in any case.

Also I don't think getting a degree from City and not Cass should be of any disadvantage (I'm not one of those cass snobs you will be meeting a lot if you do join the uni). As long as you get good marks and make the most of extracurricular activities, you'll be competitive enough. The career services are great for helping with that.

Besides, if you still want to do your masters at LSE later on, you'll get more of an edge.

I'm also considering the MSc Financial maths from LSE, though my first choice is Risk and Stochastics.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by thisworked

Thank you so much.
Hi everyone!

I have received an offer from City University of London for BSc Mathematics and Finance (this year's intake). TBH, I applied for this course just by looking at the title of the course. But now I have read the course structure, and I have found that it doesn't offer financial subjects such as derivatives, risk analysis, portfolio management etc, and it focuses on microeconomics and financial reporting (if I am not wrong financial reporting is related to accounting, right?). Also, it doesn't offer the mathematical subjects such as stochastic processes, stochastic calculus, stochastic analysis etc, though it has probability in first year but I am interested to study at least stochastic calculus at undergraduate level.

I have applied at another institute, and I am waiting for the outcome of my application, and I really want to join that course because that matches very closely to my academic interests.

Now lets say if I don't get an offer from other university (God forbid) then I will have to join City University of London. So what are future rewards of this course in terms of job and further studies (assume that I will get first class or minimum 2:1)? Should I concentrate on this course and then after the successful completion of this course I should apply for MSc in Financial Mathematics at places like LSE, IC, Oxrbidge etc so that I can start my professional career as a quant?

I will appreciate if someone can shed some light my questions.

Thanks in advance.

You wanted to apply to City (for some reason) and you also wanted to learn stochastic processes and other related topics. I don't see why you didn't (if you didn't) consider applying to City's actuarial science program then...

Sent from my iPhone
Reply 9
Original post by Sidhant Shivram
You wanted to apply to City (for some reason) and you also wanted to learn stochastic processes and other related topics. I don't see why you didn't (if you didn't) consider applying to City's actuarial science program then...

Sent from my iPhone

While I was filling the form, City was my least choice therefore I just googled and found this course at City's maths dept. The combo of maths & finance attracted me and I picked this course in rush. At that point of time, I didn't have much information about the course content but now as I know the content therefore City is my second choice. I don't know too much about UCAS clearing system, if I am not wrong then I can apply for actuarial science program during the clearing in August, right? If fail to fulfill the conditions of my first choice the I will really want to bsc maths & fin at City but I am just asking in general that is it possible to apply at another university or course in clearing?
While I was filling the form, City was my least choice therefore I just googled and found this course at City's maths dept. The combo of maths & finance attracted me and I picked this course in rush. At that point of time, I didn't have much information about the course content but now as I know the content therefore City is my second choice. I don't know too much about UCAS clearing system, if I am not wrong then I can apply for actuarial science program during the clearing in August, right? If fail to fulfill the conditions of my first choice the I will really want to bsc maths & fin at City but I am just asking in general that is it possible to apply at another university or course in clearing?

You'll be able to apply to other universities/courses through clearing ONLY if you fail to meet the conditions of BOTH your firm, and your insurance choice (i.e., if you've selected an insurance choice also).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 11

You can only do that if you reject all your offers and then re-apply through clearing...its a risky process aha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending