The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
how is the sport at Bristol? Like is it expensive, diverse, regular etc?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 541
Original post by yahp
how is the sport at Bristol? Like is it expensive, diverse, regular etc?

Definitely expensive.
Reply 542
Original post by astrojg
Definitely expensive.

thought so. Was looking at the website and it seemed that way. Tennis £10 an hour in peak times..
Hello all. I currently hold an offer for M.Sc Advanced Mechanical Engineering. But... I got a similar offer from UCL and I can't really decide.
Suggestions?
Original post by punctuation
There isn't a similar thread at the moment, so I thought I'd create one. Just as it says on the title: ask a current Bristol student. My hope is that any prospective/new/etc. students can ask questions, and any current/past Bristol student can answer them!

Without further ado: ask away! :smile:

Hey,
Im doing the IB and I've applied to the University of Bristol with Economics and Finance and I have mathematics at standard level. Im just wondering how strict Bristol is with the conditional offer? For example, if i happen to miss a 7 in maths (which was my condition), does that mean i wont be accepted? Or are they a little flexible in that way? I'd also like to know the various job/ internship prospects available in Bristol and if such internships are hard to get?

Original post by AishwaryaShastri
Hey,
Im doing the IB and I've applied to the University of Bristol with Economics and Finance and I have mathematics at standard level. Im just wondering how strict Bristol is with the conditional offer? For example, if i happen to miss a 7 in maths (which was my condition), does that mean i wont be accepted? Or are they a little flexible in that way? I'd also like to know the various job/ internship prospects available in Bristol and if such internships are hard to get?

I think it depends on how many people missed their offers which means you'll have to wait until A-level results come out in mid-August.
Original post by DannyAbba
Hello all. I currently hold an offer for M.Sc Advanced Mechanical Engineering. But... I got a similar offer from UCL and I can't really decide.
Suggestions?

It is of course your choice. Personally as it only a year long (I presume being a masters) I would focus on the course and facilities etc. and not the location as you will be only there for one year. Bristol is definitely cheaper than London though. Personally, as bristol engineer i may be biased, I think bristol uni has more of a reputation for engineering than UCL.
Original post by AishwaryaShastri
Hey,

I've known them to be a bit flexible before. :smile:
Hey, I'm going to the Economics applicant day anyone know what takes place? Is there like tours around the campus? Accommodation? Lectures?
Original post by ThePersian
Hey, I'm going to the Economics applicant day anyone know what takes place? Is there like tours around the campus? Accommodation? Lectures?

It should say in your confirmation email about the visit day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gabisargent
It should say in your confirmation email about the visit day

Posted from TSR Mobile

It just says the time that it starts and ends
It just says the time that it starts and ends

that's weird, all others said exactly what would happen during the day, It varies according to subject but just to let you know they don't take you around accommodation, you have to book to see them yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by punctuation
There isn't a similar thread at the moment, so I thought I'd create one. Just as it says on the title: ask a current Bristol student. My hope is that any prospective/new/etc. students can ask questions, and any current/past Bristol student can answer them!

Without further ado: ask away! :smile:

1) Is it confortable as a student to live in Bristol? (i.e. moving around the city and getting to lectures from home, getting to Bristol from outside of the UK)

2) What did you like about studying in Bristol & what didn’t you like?

Regarding Mechanical Engineering:
3) Are the lectures easy to follow, and if you have something you don’t understand is it easy to find an explanation?

4) How are the university labs, are they up to date?

5) How are the university links to Industry?

6) How is the student body at Bristol?
1) Is it confortable as a student to live in Bristol? (i.e. moving around the city and getting to lectures from home, getting to Bristol from outside of the UK)

2) What did you like about studying in Bristol & what didn’t you like?

3) How is the student body at Bristol?

Regarding Mechanical engineering:
Are the lectures easy to follow, and if you have something you don’t understand is it easy to find an explanation?

How are the university labs, are they up to date?

How are the university links to Industry?
Reply 554
Can anyone generalise the costs of accomodation in subsequent years (2, 3, 4) in the city?
Original post by CF25
Can anyone generalise the costs of accomodation in subsequent years (2, 3, 4) in the city?

If you have a look at websites like accommodation 4 students and the student section of Rightmove, you'll be able to get a fairly good idea, though we're past peak letting season now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 556
Hello,
I am an American student recently accepted into the MA in English Literature program in the Romantic and Victorian Pathway at the University of Bristol. Before I confirm my offer, I just have a few questions. I am excited about the opportunity to study in the UK but it will be my first time away from home and I am little anxious, so I’m sorry if these questions are silly :smile:

Can anyone recommend which postgraduate accommodation is the best? I am on a budget so I would like a place that is affordable yet within a reasonable distance from my courses and shopping? Also, are postgraduate residences limited to self-catered, or are there residences that provide catering for postgrads? Is it more affordable to self-cater or live in a catered residence hall?

Can anyone tell me how good the English postgraduate program is? My interests lie in the works of Austen and Gaskell, but I would like to explore other areas as well.

I would truly appreciate any feedback or insight that anyone could give me! Thanks
Reply 557

I went for an economics applicant day early last month too, mine was in the Richmond Building? We were taken on a tour to different lecture halls and various buildings etc but not shown accommodation. I firmed Bristol anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 558
I've got on offer for civil engineering at the University of Bristol.
I've got to choose my final 2 choices this week, so I'd like to know some things.

1. Do teachers take interest in students?
2. Are the university facilities and teaching methods modern/uptodate?
3. How much is your workload? (specifically for enginering students if possible)
4. Is there a good atmosphere in the university?
5. Why do people choose Bristol University? (Advantages and disadvantages of this university againts others such as Imperial, UCL, etc)
Hey, is anyone on this thread currently studying Philosophy and Economics or another joint economics honours? I've read and heard different accounts so i'd love to hear from an actual student: how much maths is involved and how difficult does it get? I'm coming from a french school and didn't take any of the advanced maths classes so my level in the subject is alot lower than anyone who's taken A-levels maths and is pretty elementary.
Thankss in advance for any answers

Latest

Trending

Trending