The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Homosexuality - What people think.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Electricity
If I could choose one out of extinction or overpopulation. I would choose over population.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Irrelevant. :rolleyes: What you would choose is not indicative of what is morally good or bad. Nor does it actually counter that overpopulation is bad and in such a case where overpopulation is a reality that reproduction further would be 'bad'.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Irrelevant. :rolleyes: What you would choose is not indicative of what is morally good or bad. Nor does it actually counter that overpopulation is bad and in such a case where overpopulation is a reality that reproduction further would be 'bad'.

What would you choose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would you choose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I said that is irrelevant. Please try again.
As I said that is irrelevant. Please try again.

It is relevant I could advance my point with it. Or maybe you don't want me to. So what would you choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is relevant I could advance my point with it. Or maybe you don't want me to. So what would you choose?

It is not relevant, as it does not change the moral value of reproducing in an already overpopulated system. :rolleyes:
It is not relevant, as it does not change the moral value of reproducing in an already overpopulated system. :rolleyes:

Simple question. Extinction or overpopulation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I couldn't make that decision without knowing further circumstances surrounding what I am choosing between. There are many moral factors to be taken into account only one of which is procreation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, move on. This is an irrelevant tangent.
Again, move on. This is an irrelevant tangent.

Perfectly relevant! :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I could choose one out of extinction or overpopulation. I would choose over population.
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you look at the estimated percentage of homosexuals compared to heterosexuals, the existence of the human race will not be threatened by lack of people being produced due the amount of gay people around. However overpopulation is a very real threat, the industrial revolution massively increased the natural population cap. 200 years ago we only had one billion people! And from the recent report from the IPCC, climate change is (as scientists have been telling politicians for years) in fact happening, and is rapidly accelerated by human activity.

I never get if people who are so opposed to homosexuality are in the closet themselves and putting up a front... or just stupid/close minded.
Perfectly relevant! :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here is the relevant question. Is reproduction always good?
Original post by PappaWilks
If you look at the estimated percentage of homosexuals compared to heterosexuals, the existence of the human race will not be threatened by lack of people being produced due the amount of gay people around. However overpopulation is a very real threat, the industrial revolution massively increased the natural population cap. 200 years ago we only had one billion people! And from the recent report from the IPCC, climate change is (as scientists have been telling politicians for years) in fact happening, and is rapidly accelerated by human activity.

I never get if people who are so opposed to homosexuality are in the closet themselves and putting up a front... or just stupid/close minded.

They both could lead to extinction. But one provides a huge shortcut.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even though if you re-read my statement from before and see about percentage of homosexuals being extremely small compared to heterosexuals, it is of zero cause for concern... we have something called IVF nowadays
Original post by PappaWilks
Even though if you re-read my statement from before and see about percentage of homosexuals being extremely small compared to heterosexuals, it is of zero cause for concern... we have something called IVF nowadays

Or you know the fact that homosexuals can in fact choose to have sex for procreative purposes.
Reply 454

Posted from TSR Mobile

False dichotomy.

What a ludicrous comment, given homosexuality cannot lead to extinction given its prevalence, and given the fact that homosexuals can and do procreate. I personally know a gay couple who are parents of a lovely girl.

Your argument is analagous to saying that if everyone were doctors, then no other jobs would get done, therefore medicine is bad.
Original post by mmmpie
False dichotomy.

I think he knows very well how preposterous his comments are, you and RandZul and others have patiently taken the time to point out the illogicality of his assertion that homosexuality is bad because it could lead to population (illogical given gay people do procreate, and the analagous argument would be if all people were doctors, no other jobs would get done, therefore medicine is bad).

I think Electricity has jumped the shark
Original post by MostUncivilised

Your argument is analagous to saying that if everyone were doctors, then no other jobs would get done, therefore medicine is bad.

Oh no! No no no. That's just comparing homosexuality to medicine and cannot be done as we are only talking about homosexuality in this context. Such a strawman :tongue: :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh no! No no no. That's just comparing homosexuality to medicine and cannot be done as we are only talking about homosexuality in this context. Such a strawman :tongue: :rolleyes:

Electricity appears to have difficulty with metaphors and similes, with reasoning by analogy and idiomatic expression; he objected to my use of the phrase "poor grasp of English" because grasp has to do with hands and not mouths :lol:

He has offered no logical reason why the analogy is invalid, merely a rather feeble "sexuality and professions are different".

It reminds me a lot of the difficulty some law students initially have; for example, in contract law, there are 19th century cases we use as precedent that are nominally about a horse, but can be applied to modern day mergers and acquisitions, the purchase of bananas, Ferraris, anything really. Thus you have the distinction between material and particular facts, a distinction with which Electricity appears to struggle.

Given his difficulty with such modes of reasoning, I question whether he is capable of understanding the arguments put to him, I suspect he's a lost cause.
Original post by MostUncivilised
Electricity appears to have difficulty with metaphors and similes, with reasoning by analogy and idiomatic expression; he objected to my use of the phrase "poor grasp of English" because grasp has to do with hands and not mouths :lol:

He has offered no logical reason why the analogy is invalid, merely a rather feeble "sexuality and professions are different".

It reminds me a lot of the difficulty some law students initially have; for example, in contract law, there are 19th century cases we use as precedent that are nominally about a horse, but can be applied to modern day mergers and acquisitions, the purchase of bananas, Ferraris, anything really. Thus you have the distinction between material and particular facts, a distinction with which Electricity appears to struggle.

Given his difficulty with such modes of reasoning, I question whether he is capable of understanding the arguments put to him, I suspect he's a lost cause.

it seems he feels we must only deal with the situation at hand ether than the actual argument that is being out forward. Seemingly he is unable to grasp that to attack the latter invalidates the conclusion about the former.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending