The Student Room Group

Ukrainian/Russian Tensions Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ronmack
Russia and USA are equally bad.

Stay away from RT, it's owned by the russian government and also cnn and all the other bs.

But RT is a useful resource for the Russian view of the events, one does not simply make an informed decision with a single opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
But RT is a useful resource for the Russian view of the events, one does not simply make an informed decision with a single opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I watched rt for some time and some of the **** they say is stupid and people believe it. Stupid ass propaganda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQqFcdg7jEo
This retard thinks that Russia is the only country that has oil and natural gas. USA is ahead of them in natural gas production. but who will tell this retard that? I'm not from usa
Original post by ronmack
I watched rt for some time and some of the **** they say is stupid and people believe it. Stupid ass propaganda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQqFcdg7jEo
This retard thinks that Russia is the only country that has oil and natural gas. USA is ahead of them in natural gas production. but who will tell this retard that? I'm not from usa

And some of the western media is any better. And the Russians have a hell of a lot of gas and oil, it's just not too easy to get at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And some of the western media is any better. And the Russians have a hell of a lot of gas and oil, it's just not too easy to get at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So does USA. Did I say that the western media is better?
Original post by ronmack
So does USA. Did I say that the western media is better?

Given a statement to avoid RT and nothing else would imply so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Given a statement to avoid RT and nothing else would imply so

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also said CNN and other news network.
Original post by ronmack
Russia and USA are equally bad.

Stay away from RT, it's owned by the russian government and also cnn and all the other bs.

Original post by ronmack
I also said CNN and other news network.

Right...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wanted to say stay away from cnn and all the other bs.
Reply 1688
Id take RT's word over anything the Western Media produces. Even though RT is going to overstate Russias innocence in the conflict and is essentially state propaganda they are certainly covering the conflict more extensively. I'm done trying to see good with the current establishment on this side of the globe; how can anyone objectively say Russia is the main aggressor here?
Original post by DanB1991
Not like the USSR has.... sorry... "Russia" has done the same thing recently somewhere else, otherwise we're just all getting paranoid.... :awesome:... *cough* *georgia* *cough*

If there is two things that has undermined discussion on Russia it is either comparing them to fascism or suggesting that under putin they are the USSR reincarnate.

Oh yeah crap, I completely forgot that the encouraged breakaway of two provinces that had already fought small wars over their intention to break away from Georgia showed how evil Russia was. I mean its okay that western countries have invaded, overthrown governments and replaced with pro-western ones several times in the past decade because we do it for abstract notions such as human rights, democracy or other ideas that never really come to pass.

But no, I think it is great that when it comes to Russia, you can remember similar events. I only hope that you retain this ability next time we are about to go to war.
Original post by castlemadeofsand
So when someone makes a joke, they are really describing the truth or secret motives they have? Wow, I certainly missed that in Psychology 101. Paints a pretty dire, disturbing picture of Britain and its notoriety for its dark humour. Does it also mean that Obama meant literally that he was going to use drones on the Jonas brothers when he joked as to how he would react would they make a move on his daughter?So perhaps they were indeed joking about annexing Miami as it was something they wanted to happen, or perhaps, as made obvious by the outlandish targets of annexation such as Venice and Scotland, they were reacting to the overzealous media backlash which claimed that after Crimea, Russia would be working to annex large parts of Eastern Europe.
Or perhaps the two old farts thought how great it would have been to become a part of a "great Russian empire" again? In their dreams, they were already "diplomats" of a great empire, where the sun never sets, akin to the British empire? Though, of course, Parashka, you are right - you don't have guts to achieve this. You can only bully small, unprotected countries, and crap your pants when you only hear the word "NATO". On the other hand, there is (don't know if it's still on) a petition to the White House to give Alaska back to Russia, so maybe they jokes were not simple jokes at all? P.S. Next time, so as not to miss any psychological concepts, drop Psychology 101 and pick up some serious textbook.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by castlemadeofsand
If there is two things that has undermined discussion on Russia it is either comparing them to fascism or suggesting that under putin they are the USSR reincarnate.

Oh yeah crap, I completely forgot that the encouraged breakaway of two provinces that had already fought small wars over their intention to break away from Georgia showed how evil Russia was. I mean its okay that western countries have invaded, overthrown governments and replaced with pro-western ones several times in the past decade because we do it for abstract notions such as human rights, democracy or other ideas that never really come to pass.

But no, I think it is great that when it comes to Russia, you can remember similar events. I only hope that you retain this ability next time we are about to go to war.

But Russia love to compare those in kiev to facist's.... even though putin and russia's behaviour actually fits the definition of facism much better....
Original post by Pulse.
Id take RT's word over anything the Western Media produces. Even though RT is going to overstate Russias innocence in the conflict and is essentially state propaganda they are certainly covering the conflict more extensively. I'm done trying to see good with the current establishment on this side of the globe; how can anyone objectively say Russia is the main aggressor here?

You're being ridiculous here. You're done trying to see the good of western governments? You would take RT's word over anything the western media has to say? Surely you can see the hypocrisy in this.

You're meant to look at both sidesof the arguments and make your own mind, not blindly listen to one side of the argument. Of course they is somewhat of a western bias in western media. However, they is a much stronger Russian bias at RT. The only reason RT is covering the crises so extensively is because Ukraine is more important to Russia than the EU.
What about VICE News' word?

[video="youtube;oeMuqA3PDIg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeMuqA3PDIg[/video]
Original post by KingGoonIan
What about VICE News' word?

[video="youtube;oeMuqA3PDIg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeMuqA3PDIg[/video]

Not gonna lie, their coverage is top-drawer. Imagine if they merged with TYT.....

Anyway, on topic: The situation in East Ukraine is getting pretty hairy, and the United States and European Union appear unwilling to challenge Russia militarily. I think it's only a matter of time before a) referendums take place and/or b) the Russian Armed Forces are sent in to protect ethnic Russians, resulting in Western Ukraine joining the EU and NATO.
Reply 1695
Original post by InfernoPlato
You're being ridiculous here. You're done trying to see the good of western governments? You would take RT's word over anything the western media has to say? Surely you can see the hypocrisy in this.

You're meant to look at both sidesof the arguments and make your own mind, not blindly listen to one side of the argument. Of course they is somewhat of a western bias in western media. However, they is a much stronger Russian bias at RT. The only reason RT is covering the crises so extensively is because Ukraine is more important to Russia than the EU.

Its like they are all being paid to spout the same hypocritical nonsense here. Indeed I spend too much time tuning into both sides of the argument; I find the hypocrisy and delusional stance of what I see on the BBC too much to bother with. Each to their own I guess but ill leave you with the example of Ukrainian military defectors and being represented as Russian aggression. Its absolute crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But Russia love to compare those in kiev to facist's.... even though putin and russia's behaviour actually fits the definition of facism much better....

Care to elaborate how they fit the definition of fascism, bearing in mind that irredentism and expansionism are things that have existed throughout history and tie in with the history of both the united states, the uk and many states and therefore not specifically fascist in character?
(edited 10 years ago)
Well lets see. A definition of facism...

"Fascist movements shared certain common features, including the veneration of the state, a devotion to a strong leader, and an emphasis on ultranationalism and militarism. Fascism views political violence, war, and imperialism as a means to achieve national rejuvenation and asserts that stronger nations have the right to expand their territory by displacing weaker nations"

Veneration of the state? Well looking at recent pro-russian protests inside and outside russia... check.

Devotion to a strong leader.... check, don't even have to explain that one

Empahsis on ultranationalism.... well seeing how minorities are still talked about as the enemy of the state and the recent attack of gay rights and individuals, check

Using Politicial violence, war and Imperialism as mean to achieve nation rejuvenation... well that's was done in Ukraine and Georgia... Political and physical violence against opposition in russia.... check.

Asserts that stronger nations have the right to expand their territory by displacing weaker nation... well they have not stated literally as such but annexing area's of weaker countries does suggest they believe they have a right to do so.

That's ignoring other fascist qualities like repression of political opponents which is widespread in russia at the moment. For example arresting anti-war protestors or those who speak out against Putin...
Well lets see. A definition of facism...

"Fascist movements shared certain common features, including the veneration of the state, a devotion to a strong leader, and an emphasis on ultranationalism and militarism. Fascism views political violence, war, and imperialism as a means to achieve national rejuvenation and asserts that stronger nations have the right to expand their territory by displacing weaker nations"

Veneration of the state? Well looking at recent pro-russian protests inside and outside russia... check.

Devotion to a strong leader.... check, don't even have to explain that one

Empahsis on ultranationalism.... well seeing how minorities are still talked about as the enemy of the state and the recent attack of gay rights and individuals, check

Using Politicial violence, war and Imperialism as mean to achieve nation rejuvenation... well that's was done in Ukraine and Georgia... Political and physical violence against opposition in russia.... check.

Asserts that stronger nations have the right to expand their territory by displacing weaker nation... well they have not stated literally as such but annexing area's of weaker countries does suggest they believe they have a right to do so.

That's ignoring other fascist qualities like repression of political opponents which is widespread in russia at the moment. For example arresting anti-war protestors or those who speak out against Putin...

I think you will find that to be, as the Wikipedia quote says "common features" and not a definition. A common feature of a country is some form of armed forces yet the definition of a country is in no way "A commune with armed forces" or words to that effect.
A definition would be: "an authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization; (in general use) extreme right-wing, authoritarian, or intolerant views or practices"
-right-wing, check
-nationalistic, check I suppose
-authoritarian, a bit more debatable.
"That chap (Yatesnyuk) definitely needs a reality-check and lessons in diplomacy and mathematics, honestly, how stupid can one person be? Ashton, McCain, Nuland, J. Brennan and now Biden. Of course there is no meddling in internal affairs! I’d like to see the US if Lavrov, Churkin, and others where to support Mexicans in their struggle against the Gringos, preventing or reversing the Privatization of PEMEX, and establishing Trade Relations with Venezuela, Argentina and Cuba!!"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending