The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Firmers 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ihateusernames
thanks for the info im pretty crap at all this since i havent really looked into all of it but does your accomodation determine what college youre in? i saw a postgraduate college which i think means theres graduate accommodation??

my question is if i do decide to live with postgraduate whats the average age?? i still want to party (albeit not as much as the young ones) so i dont want to be stuck with boring postgrads (im stereotyping arent i??)

Partially.

The way it works is that you apply to a college and then an accommodation type that the college offers. You also put down an insurance choice college and accommodation type (the accommodation type can be the same). If you get into neither, then your accommodation type determines your college. Postgraduate college is solely for those who are doing graduate study (Masters or PhD's) so if you're doing an undergraduate degree, no matter how old you are, you can't choose postgraduate study.

There aren't any stats on the average age of Postgrad students although I'd take a guess at it being about 33. You stereotype and generalise a huge amount, but it's alright - the stories I'm sure you've encountered and heard would normally back up your argument :smile: Not everyone in undergrad wants to go out - sure, you'll have the dedicated few who go out every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday and then you'll have the few who go out every now and then.
(edited 9 years ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Partially.

The way it works is that you apply to a college and then an accommodation type that the college offers. You also put down an insurance choice college and accommodation type (the accommodation type can be the same). If you get into neither, then your accommodation type determines your college. Postgraduate college is solely for those who are doing graduate study (Masters or PhD's) so if you're doing an undergraduate degree, no matter how old you are, you can't choose postgraduate study.

There aren't any stats on the average age of Postgrad students although I'd take a guess at it being about 33. You stereotype and generalise a huge amount, but it's alright - the stories I'm sure you've encountered and heard would normally back up your argument :smile: Not everyone in undergrad wants to go out - sure, you'll have the dedicated few who go out every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday and then you'll have the few who go out every now and then. I'm a member of the latter group, after Freshers Week in first term I went out a grand total of 3 times during first term (mainly down to a lack of money...oh and not to mention trying to recover from Rugby social). You don't always have to go out! You can still be sociable with your flatmates and go out every now and then even with an age difference :smile:

thanks for the info very helpful
wont be able to apply to postgrad accom then as im doing undergrad med
and ye ive heard alot of negative stuff about graduates when i was doing biomed all my medic friends used to complain about the grads on their course and no one wanted to be paired with them :/ i think 1 grad made a lecture go over by 30mins cos he kept arguing with the lecturer so theyre ghknown to be keen. My friend who got into undergrad as well has bought a clinical book that he aims to finish before uni even starts even though he wont be learning most clinical stuff til 3rd yr ! so ye grads can get a bit crazy and OTT about stuff
Original post by kingzebra
Could you send me piccies of your room please, so I can see what the superior en-suite looks like :smile:

I may join the Lonsdale side in the fall

As promised:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1398372813.621593.jpg
a picture of the bar

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1398372839.158865.jpg
a picture of my house (my flat is the bottom left one)

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1398372888.740922.jpg
Picture of my room from the door (10 points for being on TSR on the laptop) - 10 points if you can guess where I work

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1398372966.942931.jpg
Picture of my bed and some of my working out (with a blanket of the best rugby team)

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1398373014.345761.jpg
My wardrobe

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1398373029.347055.jpg
My desk

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1398373056.543988.jpg
Shower

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1398373073.735187.jpg
The rest of the en-suite (whilst making sure my ugly mug didn't ruin the picture whilst being in the mirror)

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1398374157.215866.jpg
Kitchen pic number 1

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1398374182.660399.jpg
Kitchen pic number two (my cupboards are the one with the hand towel in and the one above it)

Hope you enjoy! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 363
I'm pretty sure it isn't - regardless of accommodation. En-suites are there for you to clean and I think the same goes for all the other bathrooms - would you really want a cleaner going through your personal belongings?

I wouldn't see this as a bad thing though - it gives you some responsibility to keep your house/flat clean :smile:

Shared bathrooms get cleaned every 2 days and our kitchens get cleaned Atleast once a week

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Original post by MMAGuy
Shared bathrooms get cleaned every 2 days and our kitchens get cleaned Atleast once a week

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Well there we go then! Spoken from someone more knowledgeable than myself :smile:

Thanks for clearing it up (pun not intended) :smile:
The kitchen is a damn sight cleaner than the one we were taken to on the campus tour. There was a sea of crumbs on every work top and an overflowing bin. It was then I realised that in NO WAY was shared accommodation for me!
Original post by Tim TIC
The kitchen is a damn sight cleaner than the one we were taken to on the campus tour. There was a sea of crumbs on every work top and an overflowing bin. It was then I realised that in NO WAY was shared accommodation for me!

To be fair I'm the only one in the flat at the moment, it was cleaned by all of us before we went away for the holidays and it's been maintained during the holidays by the university - it does get a lot dirtier when there's students living in it during term time :tongue:
Reply 367
Original post by Gettingthere
So so so unsure about accommodation. I know I have to choose Bowland, Furness, Grizedale or Pendle because they offer standard with washbasin and that's what I want, but I've no idea how to choose which one as I don't know where any are located really (apart from Bowland which I remember from visiting campus last year) or if there'll be any difference in facilities that I will get for my money. I'm so stuck! There are hardly any pictures/info online! Anyone got any advice/knowledge of the colleges?

TIA.

Here :smile: https://www.facebook.com/LUAccommodation/photos_albums
You can look in the different albums to see examples of the accommodation in each college

Also these 3 videos are really good for seeing the accomodation in Bowland, Furness and Grizedale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIDhri_pakM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4e790tuLcw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hum2RXnkAc
I think the standard with washbasin in Grizedale is exactly the same as in Pendle :smile:
Reply 368
Anyone who is a current student at Lancaster and is self catered, how is it? Do you find being self catered okay? I'm just worried that il end up not eating much or eating rubbish!

Also, when is the free bus to Sainsbury's? Is this the Sainsbury's near Morecambe Bay as I went there for a bacon butty on the day of the open day! Looks like a nice big store :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kateeeee
Anyone who is a current student at Lancaster and is self catered, how is it? Do you find being self catered okay? I'm just worried that il end up not eating much or eating rubbish!

Also, when is the free bus to Sainsbury's? Is this the Sainsbury's near Morecambe Bay as I went there for a bacon butty on the day of the open day! Looks like a nice big store :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Paha! self catered is a bit of a shock at first but you do get used to it! If you're stuck, just ask dear mummy for some help :yep: I do like it in all honesty - adds to the independent feeling :smile: You won't eat too much or eat a lot of rubbish after Freshers Week as you'll be too conscious of Student Finance running out (hey I've been living off £20 a week so far)

Free bus to Sainsburys is wednesday afternoons on the hour. It's very competitive though so best to get there early. It's the Sainsburys in town as it's opposite the bus station - still a fairly decent size :smile:
Reply 370
Paha! self catered is a bit of a shock at first but you do get used to it! If you're stuck, just ask dear mummy for some help :yep: I do like it in all honesty - adds to the independent feeling :smile: You won't eat too much or eat a lot of rubbish after Freshers Week as you'll be too conscious of Student Finance running out (hey I've been living off £20 a week so far)

Free bus to Sainsburys is wednesday afternoons on the hour. It's very competitive though so best to get there early. It's the Sainsburys in town as it's opposite the bus station - still a fairly decent size :smile:

I'm sure il get used to it then! :P looking at Grizedale and Furness as my two choices :smile:

I will have to make sure I get to the bus stop quick! Does it go from the underpass? Look forward to shopping for whatever I want! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah! I mean it's a shock at first but after a couple of weeks it gets into part of your routine! You're bound to have loads of vouchers from Freshers Week for Dominoes pizza etc. so if you get stuck/bored/can't be bothered to cook then just order something! (there are obviously other alternatives on campus too) :smile: Grizedale and Furness are where I applied to but they're both quite popular and end up being overapplied to which is why I'm a Lonsdalian (and proud!) :smile:

Yeah! on Wednesdays I have a 12-1 in Frankland LT which is pretty much on Alex Square so it's easy to get to the bus stop - then again everyone thinks the same thing :lol: The bus does go from the underpass, yeah :smile:

Correction: *shopping for whatever you want that's within your budget :tongue:

EDIT: To be fair, a return bus ticket to town costs £2.45 which I normally end up paying anyway since the Sainsburys bus is 'dog eat dog'. At least the buses don't cost too much though - for the same length journey from my bus stop to town a single is £2.40, with a return costing £3.70 (oh and prices are going up next month too). Same bus company, same length route, different prices. So some people think it's bad, but to me it's not since the rates back home are pretty extortionate :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
For those of you who've been thinking about picking Lonsdale or Bowland, or have been wondering what the heck I've been on about when I say Founders, then take a look at this:

enjoy :smile:
Firmed Politics. Belter.
Original post by mrfletch
Firmed Politics. Belter.

Congrats! Any idea about what optional modules or college you're going to pick?
Congrats! Any idea about what optional modules or college you're going to pick?

Not a clue haha. I'm tempted to carry on German as a minor module thingy but accommodation-wise I'm completely undecided
Original post by mrfletch
Not a clue haha. I'm tempted to carry on German as a minor module thingy but accommodation-wise I'm completely undecided

As long as you've got the pre-requisites then you could carry on with German - have you seen the minor course outline yet?

For accommodation, what sort of thing are you after? any particular price range per week? :smile:
Reply 377
Yeah! I mean it's a shock at first but after a couple of weeks it gets into part of your routine! You're bound to have loads of vouchers from Freshers Week for Dominoes pizza etc. so if you get stuck/bored/can't be bothered to cook then just order something! (there are obviously other alternatives on campus too) :smile: Grizedale and Furness are where I applied to but they're both quite popular and end up being overapplied to which is why I'm a Lonsdalian (and proud!) :smile:

Yeah! on Wednesdays I have a 12-1 in Frankland LT which is pretty much on Alex Square so it's easy to get to the bus stop - then again everyone thinks the same thing :lol: The bus does go from the underpass, yeah :smile:

Correction: *shopping for whatever you want that's within your budget :tongue:

EDIT: To be fair, a return bus ticket to town costs £2.45 which I normally end up paying anyway since the Sainsburys bus is 'dog eat dog'. At least the buses don't cost too much though - for the same length journey from my bus stop to town a single is £2.40, with a return costing £3.70 (oh and prices are going up next month too). Same bus company, same length route, different prices. So some people think it's bad, but to me it's not since the rates back home are pretty extortionate :smile:

Yeah I think Dominoes will be a necessity during freshers! That and subway :biggrin: aww well I really really liked Grizedale so I hope I get a place but I'm sure at the end of the day, I'd be happy wherever I'm put!

I will probably end up doing the same and just paying for the bus! I think it's really cool how the uni has an underpass :smile:

I come from Crowthorne so I know the feeling! I rarely get the bus because 1) it's too expensive sometimes 2) I prefer to get the train if it's of some distance. I won't be bringing my car to uni so I think the underpass will become my second home!

I'm not too bad with keeping a budget so that shouldn't be too bad :biggrin: you'll find me down the reduced isles in Sainsbury's!! :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kateeeee
Yeah I think Dominoes will be a necessity during freshers! That and subway :biggrin: aww well I really really liked Grizedale so I hope I get a place but I'm sure at the end of the day, I'd be happy wherever I'm put!

I will probably end up doing the same and just paying for the bus! I think it's really cool how the uni has an underpass :smile:

I come from Crowthorne so I know the feeling! I rarely get the bus because 1) it's too expensive sometimes 2) I prefer to get the train if it's of some distance. I won't be bringing my car to uni so I think the underpass will become my second home!

I'm not too bad with keeping a budget so that shouldn't be too bad :biggrin: you'll find me down the reduced isles in Sainsbury's!! :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a subway on campus :drool: Yeah all of the colleges are great to be fair, no matter how much bias I put towards one or the other :smile:

Yeah and how all the buses go to and from the underpass as well - it's really organised most of the time :smile:

Because of where my college is, I just get the 3 bus instead sometimes because it stops off outside my college and it saves 10 minutes walk to the underpass, but yeah. How much does a ticket where you live cost?

Oh don't worry! My friend and I always fill up our baskets with Sainsburys Basics! Plus we've dedicated a name to the "student aisle" which has all the pot noodles, soups etc. :lol:
It's Roses weekend everyone! That's right, Lancaster vs. York!

So tonight we've got the opening ceremony followed by the Football 1st teams, tomorrow it's the rugby!

Follow all the action at www.roseslive.co.uk - this address should work :smile:

(I hope you guys don't mind me telling you this sort of stuff - it's just to give you some idea of what's going on up here :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending