The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Double Major/ Joint Honors?

How much more work is it to have a double major or joint honors degree (I'm not sure what it's called). The two courses would be anthropology and french. Is it significantly more difficult to major in two subjects? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by sophia95
How much more work is it to have a double major or joint honors degree (I'm not sure what it's called). The two courses would be anthropology and french. Is it significantly more difficult to major in two subjects? Thanks :smile:

not really. just more time management
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
It's joint honours over here and you don't actually do any extra credits so it's not technically any more work than if you did a single honours degree. The only difficulty there will be is if you're not very well suited to the subjects or if you can't manage your time well.
Reply 3
Original post by Doc.Daneeka
It's joint honours over here and you don't actually do any extra credits so it's not technically any more work than if you did a single honours degree. The only difficulty there will be is if you're not very well suited to the subjects or if you can't manage your time well.

very helpful! thanks :smile:
Reply 4
Plus in the first two years, you probably won't be able to pick outside subjects, which can be (especially stuff like introductory languages) somewhat easier than ''regular'' subjects.
Original post by Hrochan
Plus in the first two years, you probably won't be able to pick outside subjects, which can be (especially stuff like introductory languages) somewhat easier than ''regular'' subjects.

Unless there have been changes, people studying Anthropology & a language still do an outside course in year 1. And there are certainly no "easy" outside courses that aren't available to all students (and must form part of a programme, somewhere).
Original post by Hrochan

Intro language courses tend to be some of the most intensive courses that you can take...
Reply 7
Original post by Doc.Daneeka
Intro language courses tend to be some of the most intensive courses that you can take...

Alright sorry for this generalisation, my evidence is purely anecdotal ;-)
Reply 8
I was told by a law professor that it's more than 1 major but less than 2. So basically it's 1.5 times harder
Reply 9
Perfect! Thank you!!

Original post by USGirl14
I was told by a law professor that it's more than 1 major but less than 2. So basically it's 1.5 times harder

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending