The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL MSc International Public Policy-2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by T_Kerry
What will be your choice if LSE sends you an offer?

In all honesty? I have no clue. I love both programs and both universities. I feel LSE's reputation might be a bit better and their careers advice. But on the other hand I really like some elements of the course at ucl and I feel the life outside of studying seems better at ucl, like their society life. Of course this is not the most important factor but I like to have a good time as well. So yea if they give me an offer I will have a hard time deciding...
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
Original post by 92DL
In all honesty? I have no clue. I love both programs and both universities. I feel LSE's reputation might be a bit better and their careers advice. But on the other hand I really like some elements of the course at ucl and I feel the life outside of studying seems better at ucl, like their society life. Of course this is not the most important factor but I like to have a good time as well. So yea if they give me an offer I will have a hard time deciding...

Well, it is always better to have a choice! Wish you good luck!
Reply 22
Original post by T_Kerry
Well, it is always better to have a choice! Wish you good luck!

Thanks! Good luck with your exams and thesis!
Reply 23
Original post by mcstone12
Very cool you are from Indiana, I went to school down there! Yes, I could always use French practice! I use this site called italki.com it's awesome, I have a professional teacher on there as well as some French friends.

Hi Mooseb! Welcome! I also recieved an offer from King's (International Political Economy) but I just didn't love the program as much as the IPP. I just haven't heard the best things about LSE master's programs. Obviously, it is a fantastic school with great name recognition but I have heard that they do not do much for their master's students.

I am also hoping to get a small scholarship to UCL, but I'm 99% sure that won't be happening! Where in the US are you from?

I am from California. I am graduating from UC Berkeley with a BA degree in Rhetoric.
Reply 24
Original post by T_Kerry
Hey guys,

I'm also going to do the MSc in IPP. Glad to see that someone finally started a thread! I'm originally from Ukraine, raised in Germany, and currently finishing up my undergrad studies in the Netherlands (also at a Liberal Arts and Sciences College). Looking forward to meeting all of you guys! It's also quite surprising that there are so many people from the U.S. (wouldn't have expected that). By the way - did anyone receive something like an official letter after accepting the offer? I accepted my offer weeks ago, and still have no further information on anything.

This is one thing that is a bit disconcerting for me about UCL, the total LACK of any response. After submitting an application and getting offer, there has essentially been no further communication from the program. I dont know if it is because UCL is so large they feel as if they do not have to contact offer holders or what, but its a bit off putting how distant they are. I contrast this was King's who I got an offer from, and they have been trying to recruit me very hard, sending emails, online events, regional meetups in the USA, etc. Also, LSE and Edinburgh both have sent informational, status update and recruitment type emails since receiving an offer. UCL, the only school I have officially accepted an offer from has been completely silent and I have not had any form of contact via email let alone post. Partly for this reason, I am still not entirely sold on UCL and may jump to KCL or even LSE.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by mooseb
This is one thing that is a bit disconcerting for me about UCL, the total LACK of any response. After submitting an application and getting offer, there has essentially been no further communication from the program. I dont know if it is because UCL is so large they feel as if they do not have to contact offer holders or what, but its a bit off putting how distant they are. I contrast this was King's who I got an offer from, and they have been trying to recruit me very hard, sending emails, online events, regional meetups in the USA, etc. Also, LSE and Edinburgh both have sent informational, status update and recruitment type emails since receiving an offer. UCL, the only school I have officially accepted an offer from has been completely silent and I have not had any form of contact via email let alone post. Partly for this reason, I am still not entirely sold on UCL and may jump to KCL or even LSE.

You're definitely right! King's also sent me various emails, inlcuding invitations to meetings etc. Same with St Andrews. I'm also a bit worried about this lack of information. But it seems like everyone has this issue (a friend of mine as well). Do you think it might make sense to just email and them and ask them when we will receive further information on e.g. Registration...
Reply 26
Original post by mooseb

While this may be way off but here is my perspective on the lack of "interest" UCL shows in us. I got into Nottingham, King's, Sheffield, Warwick and UCL and all the other schools heavily recruited me as well. UCL did not. To me that says that they aren't desperate for students, they have more than enough excellent applicants that I say no it will be fine. Again, this may be totally off the mark but that was my thinking. It's funny because when I was applying to undergrad all the schools I got into were super nice, sending me videos, scholarship offers, meet-up invitations and calling me. Purdue sent me the one offer letter (which was actually kind of aggressive, "We expect a lot from our students and we expect that you will meet all of those expectations" or something to that effect). And of course I ended up going there! Haha so maybe I just have a history of going to aloof sounding schools. Once I got their Purdue was anything but!
Reply 27
While this may be way off but here is my perspective on the lack of "interest" UCL shows in us. I got into Nottingham, King's, Sheffield, Warwick and UCL and all the other schools heavily recruited me as well. UCL did not. To me that says that they aren't desperate for students, they have more than enough excellent applicants that I say no it will be fine. Again, this may be totally off the mark but that was my thinking. It's funny because when I was applying to undergrad all the schools I got into were super nice, sending me videos, scholarship offers, meet-up invitations and calling me. Purdue sent me the one offer letter (which was actually kind of aggressive, "We expect a lot from our students and we expect that you will meet all of those expectations" or something to that effect). And of course I ended up going there! Haha so maybe I just have a history of going to aloof sounding schools. Once I got their Purdue was anything but!

I understand your view, but I am not sure I completely accept it. I know exactly the type of "spam marketing"you are referring to. I expressed some interest in local programs late last year. One was a 1 year mba program at hult, another a local private school. My god, they just bombard me with spam to no end! In this sense, I understand the desperation marketing aspect from schools that are looking for any body to fill seats. However, UCL's total lack of response for me, is definitely keeping to much of a "stiff upper lip." I dont know if Oxford/Cambridge do not contact offer holders post offer, but it would be reasonable for UCL to send some type of contact, newsletter, something! I got my offer back in February and accepted it about a month ago, and I have not received any emails about anything, since the initial offer in February. I dont think LSE is a school that needs to send recruitment or promotional materials. For every UCL applicant, they probably applied or wish they applied to LSE as well. Since I got an offer from LSE, theyve sent emails about scholarships, I got something about applying for a visa a few days ago, they have an "offerholder newsletter" so at least there is a flow of information. I havent even accepted an offer, that is just via them offering one. King's, also has been very active in the recruitment/trying to get me to confirm. Honestly, I like UCL's public policy program and course offerings more than I do King's. The only reason I havent confirmed King's is because they require you to pay a deposit two weeks later, which I do not want to do, especially without any scholarship info.
Reply 28
Original post by mooseb
I understand your view, but I am not sure I completely accept it. I know exactly the type of "spam marketing"you are referring to. I expressed some interest in local programs late last year. One was a 1 year mba program at hult, another a local private school. My god, they just bombard me with spam to no end! In this sense, I understand the desperation marketing aspect from schools that are looking for any body to fill seats. However, UCL's total lack of response for me, is definitely keeping to much of a "stiff upper lip." I dont know if Oxford/Cambridge do not contact offer holders post offer, but it would be reasonable for UCL to send some type of contact, newsletter, something! I got my offer back in February and accepted it about a month ago, and I have not received any emails about anything, since the initial offer in February. I dont think LSE is a school that needs to send recruitment or promotional materials. For every UCL applicant, they probably applied or wish they applied to LSE as well. Since I got an offer from LSE, theyve sent emails about scholarships, I got something about applying for a visa a few days ago, they have an "offerholder newsletter" so at least there is a flow of information. I havent even accepted an offer, that is just via them offering one. King's, also has been very active in the recruitment/trying to get me to confirm. Honestly, I like UCL's public policy program and course offerings more than I do King's. The only reason I havent confirmed King's is because they require you to pay a deposit two weeks later, which I do not want to do, especially without any scholarship info.

No I agree that if UCL had sent out even just two or three emails I would feel better, especially since all the other schools were on it so fast. I think that this is something we should bring to them. Because while I do think some of what I said is probably the case I do not understand why they can't send just a few things. The only email I've gotten is inviting me to the "open day" which I obviously can't attend since I am 5000 miles away. It does say in the portal that once pre-enrollment starts we will get an email from them so perhaps once that begins we will hear from them more? Honestly, I love the program. The only thing I wish was different is UCLs reputation in the US. If you ask an average American about schools in the UK they will say Oxford, Cambridge and LSE. UCL just doesn't hold the same clout it seems to in Europe.
Reply 29
Are you guys just going to wait, or shall we maybe just contact the admissions office and ask what the heck is going on? :biggrin:
Reply 30
Original post by T_Kerry
Are you guys just going to wait, or shall we maybe just contact the admissions office and ask what the heck is going on? :biggrin:

I'm not sure contacting them about their lack of information would help but hey I'll happily email them with all of you!

I do think that once either we get there or go through the enrollment we should just mention our concerns and given the constructive feedback.
Reply 31
I also should mention that I went to a graduate school fair here in Chicago that featured several UK based schools including UCL. I went up and talked to the UCL guy for a bit and got his card. While I was trying to decide between Kings and UCL I decided to email him to see if there was a fellow American in the IPP program I could speak with. He emailed me back within 12 hours telling me he would ask around and then emailed me a name and email within 48 hours. I have spoken with him a few times since and he is always open to questions and very quick to respond. So that is one thing UCL has done that really helped me make my decision (because as most of us seem to know Kings appears to be the nicest school ever haha).
Reply 32
Should we open a group on facebook for IPP 2014/2015, so more people can join?
Reply 33
Original post by T_Kerry
Should we open a group on facebook for IPP 2014/2015, so more people can join?

Yes! Great idea! Should I let you do the honors?
Reply 34
Yes! Great idea! Should I let you do the honors?

Yeah, I will do it, and post the name
of the group here.
Reply 35
Okay guys, I created the group "UCL - International Public Policy (IPP) 2014/2015" on facebook. Feel free to join!
Reply 36
Original post by T_Kerry
Okay guys, I created the group "UCL - International Public Policy (IPP) 2014/2015" on facebook. Feel free to join!

I couldn't find it? Can you post a link?
Reply 37
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1417876665145139/

That's the link for the facebook group!
Reply 38
I'm thinking of applying to this. Does anyone have tips / advice?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 39
Original post by Junglee
I'm thinking of applying to this. Does anyone have tips / advice?

Thanks in advance!

About what specifically?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending