The Student Room Group

I believe in equalitism instead of feminism!

I believe both genders are equal in worth. I believe it is wrong for women to hit men, and for men to hit women, because violence is wrong. I think holding doors open and kind acts are perfectly acceptable - for both sexes to apply to each other. I don't believe in double standards.

Isn't this what everyone wants? Equalitism.

Scroll to see replies

I believe in threesomes.
Original post by elpistolero7
I believe in threesomes.

At least 4
Original post by elpistolero7
I believe in threesomes.

Original post by GreenOut
At least 4

C'mon guys. It's not good enough until there's at least a few dozen.
Original post by Solivagant
C'mon guys. It's not good enough until there's at least a few dozen.

I'm a simple man, I don't ask for much you see. :tongue:
What you have described is feminism:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kellyoakes/are-you-a-feminist
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Lady_L
I believe both genders are equal in worth. I believe it is wrong for women to hit men, and for men to hit women, because violence is wrong. I think holding doors open and kind acts are perfectly acceptable - for both sexes to apply to each other. I don't believe in double standards.

I second this, it is what makes sense to me. Things like when you are in a relationship you both equally pay for stuff on dates, I don't think women should expect men to pay unless maybe it was like a birthday treat or similar- however the same would be expected back.
I'm fairly sure the word you're looking for is egalitarianism.
I believe in ismism. Where everything needs to be suffixed fashionably.
Original post by Lady_L

Feminists believe in equality, despite this double standards fallacy that is particularly prominent on TSR I have seen no evidence for it in academic literature, please provide references if you do have reliable sources to hand.

What at this whole discourse fails to recognise is that in order to overcome inequalities, you can not just say 'I don't like inequalities' you have to study them. Different types of inequalities have different causes and effects, they are not all the same. That is why racial, social, economic and gender inequalities are not all bunched together. You can not study men's inequalities in the same way as women's either they are different issues that require separate study.

When choosing a subject to study you normally have an interest in that subject, so individuals who have been affected by gender inequalities often study them. Equally individuals who have been affected by racial inequalities are most likely to study them. I don't mean necessarily that they have been discriminated against but they must have some sort of interest bias otherwise they would not study that subject. Hence lots of women studying gender inequalities.
Ahhh...I see we are back on the anti-feminist threads. Be prepared. The hordes are coming!
Reply 11
Original post by tengentoppa

Thank you :biggrin:
thats the same as feminism
Original post by Entangled
I believe in ismism. Where everything needs to be suffixed fashionablyism.

:wink:
The feminism threads are getting tiresome now, even I will admit that, but NEVERTHELESS....

Yes, feminism (or feminists) do tend to focus a little too heavily on women, which can detract from similar male issues and paint a crooked picture, often resulting in exaggerated ideas and unchallenged falsehoods. This is one of the reasons why it's bad to have a gender-specific term that claims to be encompassing both genders -- especially one so hostile to critique -- as it clearly doesn't live up to its supposed ideals. And what do we get as outcomes? We get awareness campaigns for domestic violence against women exclusively (even though there are similar rates of violence against men), we get unfair legal biases in courts, we get unbalanced public spending, unfair social justice actions and legislation, distorted funding and political priorities, and the vilification of masculinity (intentionally or not). In its one-sided crusade for 'equality' it is undermining fairness.

I'm sure most feminists are well-meaning and have egalitarian views and intentions, but sadly they're being misled.

EDIT: And no, taking a swipe at feminism doesn't make me a woman-hating misogynist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tengentoppa

This term has been similarly co-opted by communists who purposefully conflate "equality of opportunity" with "equality of outcome", a tactic tediously employed (ironically for personal gain, ie publicity/attention) by most promoters of feminism.
Original post by Dandaman1
especially one so hostile to critique

Ignoring everything else you said...This is particularly not true. Feminism is rife with critique. It is founded on critique. However, with critique comes defenses. You cannot simply expect to level a criticism and for people to merely take it lying down. Feminism has so many different understandings and followings that critiques are constantly going around. It is hardly hostile to defend your position.
Original post by ILovePancakes
What you have described is feminism:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kellyoakes/are-you-a-feminist

Feminists believe Woman = Man, which it does not. They also believe women are oppressed in western society, which they are not.

The majority of others believe Men and Woman, while very different, have equal worth in society and should have equal legal rights, as they do (albeit leaning towards favoring women)

Key difference there.
Original post by Spetznaaz
Feminists believe Woman = Man, which it does not. They also believe women are oppressed in western society, which they are not.

The majority of others believe Men and Woman, while very different, have equal worth in society and should have equal legal rights, as they do (albeit leaning towards favoring women)

Key difference there.

This is not true at all. There are feminists who believe that Women and Men are essentially the same (although they don't necessarily say that they are the same sex. Just that many of the characteristics associated with traditional gender roles are mostly socialized).

There are many other feminists who believe that men and women are essentially different but should be of equal worth. They believe that women are still valued less than men, both legally and socially.

You merely seem to disagree with the perception of the balance of rights that exist currently.

Here is a helpful chart of some of the many things Feminism can be: Eevee Feminism.jpgEevee Feminism.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
This is not true at all. There are feminists who believe that Women and Men are essentially the same (although they don't necessarily say that they are the same sex. Just that many of the characteristics associated with traditional gender roles are mostly socialized).

There are many other feminists who believe that men and women are essentially different but should be of equal worth. They believe that women are still valued less than men, both legally and socially.

You merely seem to disagree with the perception of the balance of rights that exist currently.

Here is a helpful chart of some of the many things Feminism can be: Eevee Feminism.jpgEevee Feminism.jpg

How stupid would you have to be to think that women are discriminated against legally? :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending