The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madamemerle
Ahhh I miss Essex. Obviously, I was only an MA student so I don't know much about how everything worked for faculty, but I loved the culture there. It was inclusive and supportive and intellectually exciting to a much greater degree than other places I've studied. I mean, clearly I enjoy that democratic feel, that includes students in so many activities...others may prefer somewhere more hierarchical or something else that I can't quite find the word for, but, yeah, it's a great place to be a student and, I think, to work as well. Though, as you say, likely being transformed by the same pressures as every where else.
Sounds good. Coming from Sociology I only tend to hear it characterised in terms of being very quantitative, which people can be critical of. But its nice to hear that it has a nice atmosphere like that. UEA feels similar.
I find that article really interesting. I completely get that it seems unreasonable for people to be contactable constantly, but I really don’t think that this is confined to academia, at all. I never switch my phone off, and reply to emails all evening, weekend, and on holiday. I would never dare not. And while I work in an unusual place, this is the situation most of my friends these days seem to be in. I think it’s more symptomatic of how crazily important work has generally now become to people, and how competitive all industries are now becoming to progress in.
Original post by ice_cube
I find that article really interesting. I completely get that it seems unreasonable for people to be contactable constantly, but I really don’t think that this is confined to academia, at all. I never switch my phone off, and reply to emails all evening, weekend, and on holiday. I would never dare not. And while I work in an unusual place, this is the situation most of my friends these days seem to be in. I think it’s more symptomatic of how crazily important work has generally now become to people, and how competitive all industries are now becoming to progress in.

That's a really interesting point. I guess because I've only ever had jobs in retail (and have spent the rest of my time in academia) I never thought about the fact that actually, there are a lot of jobs out there that can be taken home, so to speak. It just always seemed like a habit specific to academia, I guess because a lot of academics (unless they're strictly lab-based) aren't tied to 9 to 5 hours. But the fact that a lot of work seems to be heading in this direction is, I think, quite worrying.
Oh God, quite the contrary. My view was always that 'normal' jobs were entirely like that and that academia was supposed to be the exception where people had a bit more freedom just because a lot of research is a very individual, independent affair...

And totally agreed about working conditions getting worse everywhere. there has been a sustained erosion of worker's rights and decent legislation, accompanied by the fact that there's a huge unemployment pool that scuppers any bargaining power.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7984

Yeah, this. But also the definite downside of smartphones, tablets etc... A decade ago you just couldn't be contactable all the time, so people couldn't possibly expect it.
This seems to be one of the advantages of medicine compared with other professions - in general we leave our work once we go home and aren't expected to be permanently contactable at home. It's a bit different for consultants but even then nobody will mind if they don't answer if they're not on call.

But then, I'm writing this now, still have 8 hours left at work, having had no sleep in the day as I had a job interview for the next level of training, so you can't win them all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by llacerta
Going to be at St. John's College for the next three years. :biggrin:

:king1: :banana: :awesome: :awesome: :yeah:

Of course an inferior college to a certain sauce-named college, but still pretty good :tongue:

Nah, I jest. Congrats! A great college. So much money lying around St John's :eek3:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:king1: :banana: :awesome: :awesome: :yeah:

Of course an inferior college to a certain sauce-named college, but still pretty good :tongue:

Nah, I jest. Congrats! A great college. So much money lying around St John's :eek3:

Thanks! Haha, my friend who's there already was like, "we use £20 notes as toilet paper". So extravagant! :biggrin:

Also, St. Hilda's is having a summer wine exchange with Worcester later in the term so I'll finally get a chance to see your college! :smile:
Thanks! Haha, my friend who's there already was like, "we use £20 notes as toilet paper". So extravagant! :biggrin:

:rofl: :yep: :teehee:

Also, St. Hilda's is having a summer wine exchange with Worcester later in the term so I'll finally get a chance to see your college! :smile:

Yay! :h: Tiz a beautiful college. So nice in the summer! Equally, beautiful in the snow :yep: Twas a nice place to be and study, even if I don't really remember it :tongue:

Ooh are you a Hildabeast?
Original post by Feefifofum
Ooh are you a Hildabeast?

Yes, I am. :biggrin:
Yes, I am. :biggrin:

Hooray! I think I might have known that, but I'd forgotten. Excellent college :biggrin: I was there for 4 years.
Hooray! I think I might have known that, but I'd forgotten. Excellent college :biggrin: I was there for 4 years.

I don't think I'd realised that you'd been there! Were you there as an undergrad? And you're right, an excellent college indeed. :biggrin: It's definitely coming into its own this term- that picturesque riverside position is making me feel bad for all the times I wished I was at a college with the traditional quad layout! Plus, Hilda's certainly knows how to throw a good ball.
I don't think I'd realised that you'd been there! Were you there as an undergrad? And you're right, an excellent college indeed. :biggrin: It's definitely coming into its own this term- that picturesque riverside position is making me feel bad for all the times I wished I was at a college with the traditional quad layout! Plus, Hilda's certainly knows how to throw a good ball.

Yep, I did my BA there (Classics). It's fantastic in the spring and summer. I love it when the punts come out and it's warm enough to picnic on South Lawns. Quads look nice but there's a lot to be said for grounds that you can actually walk on and enjoy too! :biggrin: I was back for a wedding over Easter and it was great to be in the college again. Stayed in CBB (I was never clever enough to get a room in there as a student :wink: ) and the reception was in the dining hall. It was really special to be back where we all met, including the happy couple :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Euugh. Yep, housing here is an absolute nightmare. Fires are shockingly common (to someone from the UK)...mostly, it seems, because of the amount of wooden structure housing around. Triple deckers are the classic Boston style, but they can be a serious fire risk. The student housing market is awful, the housing stock is low in Boston, because it's a mostly low rise city and there isn't much land on which to build anything new. Landlords have the pick of 250,000 students, and they can pretty much charge what they like.
I live in a less undergraddy part of Allston/Brighton, the neighborhood much of that article talks about, and I viewed some truly shocking places when I was trying to find a place at short notice last year when our apartment purchase fell through (another effect of the student rental market -the buyers market moves so fast and prices increase so fast that assessments cannot keep up with market value...actually we were buying an apartment in a triple decker, as the neighborhood we love is full of them).
(edited 9 years ago)
Took my French exam today...feel pretty good about it, so hopefully I've passed. Fingers crossed that's another hoop jumped. Still got to do German, though :s-smilie:
Reply 7997
Original post by madamemerle
Euugh. Yep, housing here is an absolute nightmare. Fires are shockingly common (to someone from the UK)...mostly, it seems, because of the amount of wooden structure housing around. Triple deckers are the classic Boston style, but they can be a serious fire risk. The student housing market is awful, the housing stock is low in Boston, because it's a mostly low rise city and there isn't much land on which to build anything new. Landlords have the pick of 250,000 students, and they can pretty much charge what they like.
I live in a less undergraddy part of Allston/Brighton, the neighborhood much of that article talks about, and I viewed some truly shocking places when I was trying to find a place at short notice last year when our apartment purchase fell through (another effect of the student rental market -the buyers market moves so fast and prices increase so fast that assessments cannot keep up with market value...actually we were buying an apartment in a triple decker, as the neighborhood we love is full of them).

Are students from Harvard/MIT also concerned by this problem? (I mean these unis maybe offer better support to their students).
Original post by Josb
Are students from Harvard/MIT also concerned by this problem? (I mean these unis maybe offer better support to their students).

To a lesser extent, because both unis have extensive campus housing for both undergrads and graduate students, but many still do choose to live off campus for a variety of reasons. A lot of Harvard grad students live in Allston because it's on two bus lines that run straight to Harvard Sq in about 15-20 mins. Cambridge is massively expensive to rent in, so many students that do rent do so in Boston, or Somerville (where they are also competing with Tufts students for limited housing stock).

I'm not sure what you mean by support? BU and Northeastern have space problems because they are urban campuses with no room for expansion, and have large student bodies. Northeastern was, until fairly recently, a commuter university and so housing wasn't built with the university...but now it's one of the most popular unis in the US for applications, which has created a housing deficiency. Harvard and MIT were built as residential unis, and have a lot of land, besides, to expand on. As the article says, BC has the land but is fighting their neighbours to be able to build on it. There will always be students who want to live off campus for the freedom etc, particularly when the dorms don't have the charm of Harvard's house system etc; and Allston is a particularly fun area to live in.
(edited 9 years ago)
It was really special to be back where we all met, including the happy couple :smile:

I have to say that I think it's this element of Oxford/Cambridge education that I'm possibly most envious of. That small collegiate feel plus knowing people, making close friends who remain friends and lead on to having wedding receptions back in college.

Don't get me wrong, I've got close friends from both my university experiences but I can count them on one hand, maybe a push two hands. That's partly due to how I did my uni life and choice of universities clearly. However, other friends and old work colleagues who have gone onto Ox and Cam, their friendship networks since graduating are much closer albeit bigger.

Whether that's the alumni network kicking in or just life I don't know...

Latest

Trending

Trending