The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

I have just went to my tesco that i have worked at for a year to hand in a holiday form for one day in may because i have an exam at college the same day i would normally work. They where really funny about it because someone else has booked that day off too on my department. I have told them I will take it unpaid if need be. They have said they will get back to.
I cant miss my exam. What should i do if they turn my holiday down?
Thank you
Original post by sophie1506
I have just went to my tesco that i have worked at for a year to hand in a holiday form for one day in may because i have an exam at college the same day i would normally work. They where really funny about it because someone else has booked that day off too on my department. I have told them I will take it unpaid if need be. They have said they will get back to.
I cant miss my exam. What should i do if they turn my holiday down?
Thank you

TESCO has to support students and time off needed for exams. They brag about how well students who work at TESCO are supported

Posted from TSR Mobile
So guys I have experience at waitrose do you think the large Tesco stores will have job vacancies in the summer( end of June) ? And if so are they likely to give me an interview?
Bump
Original post by neal95
So guys I have experience at waitrose do you think the large Tesco stores will have job vacancies in the summer( end of June) ? And if so are they likely to give me an interview?

My personnel manager told me that they would be taking temporary works on in May for the migrant workers coming across

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohh right well I can ensure you I am no migrant haha!
Original post by neal95
Ohh right well I can ensure you I am no migrant haha!

No haha, I mean they take on more staff because the migrant workers will be over working in the berry fields so TESCO needs staff 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi fellow Tesco Employees , I've been at a branch in south west for 11 months now and have to travel almost 2 hours every morning to get there . It's made me late numerous times because trains got cancelled etc and I do my best to explain that its out of my control to my managers but there is only so much they can take.

I'm considering getting a transfer , anyone know how these work ?

If I'm thinking correctly you first have to look online to see if there's any branches with vacancies and then contact your personnel manager or something . My only problem being there seems to be no vacancies online nearer to me , literally the closest one that came up was in central london and would be almost a 2h journey . Yet im sure there is internal recruiting going on . Anyone got any ideas ?
Reply 1148
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Hi fellow Tesco Employees , I've been at a branch in south west for 11 months now and have to travel almost 2 hours every morning to get there . It's made me late numerous times because trains got cancelled etc and I do my best to explain that its out of my control to my managers but there is only so much they can take.

I'm considering getting a transfer , anyone know how these work ?

If I'm thinking correctly you first have to look online to see if there's any branches with vacancies and then contact your personnel manager or something . My only problem being there seems to be no vacancies online nearer to me , literally the closest one that came up was in central london and would be almost a 2h journey . Yet im sure there is internal recruiting going on . Anyone got any ideas ?

Personally I'd arrange a little sit down with the personnel manager and explain that you've currently had a look online, but get them to keep their ears close to the ground in regard to stores more locally to yourself recruiting.

If needs be see if they can get in contact with different personnel managers in the local area as there maybe job opportunities that are just about to come up but haven't been posted online yet. Obviously they are more likely to help you if you've been a model employee while at Tesco, rather than have an absence of 20%
Reply 1149
Hi guys! I have an interview tomorrow at a Tesco Metro near Oxford Street in London. Do you guys have any tips for me? How are the interviews nowadays ? I also had one at Sainsbury's last month and I was rejected so I really want to get this right...
Hey guys, I was just wondering if someone could give me more information regarding the length of breaks at Tesco, as I have been given the opportunity to go full-time (I know this section is for part-time/ temporary but this thread seemed appropriate for my question).

It seems totally absurd to me that on a 9 hour shift you get an hour and a half break, and 45 minutes break for 8 hours. As a result, in order to work a standard 37.5 hour week, you have to be at work for 9 hours each day. Do I have to take all of this entitlement, or can I ask for a shorter break, as 90 minutes break is just ridiculous, I don't wish to have that much as it's unpaid anyway.

In essence, what I'm saying is, does everyone who works full time at Tesco really go in for 9 hours each day?
Bump
Anyone know when the temp jobs will be advertised as it's close to May now
The store I work at (Superstore) on Dairy, the shifts are usually 9 hours (6am - 3pm, 9am - 6pm, 1-10pm) . There are barely any 8 hour shifts.
Original post by Buckers
Hey guys, I was just wondering if someone could give me more information regarding the length of breaks at Tesco, as I have been given the opportunity to go full-time (I know this section is for part-time/ temporary but this thread seemed appropriate for my question).

It seems totally absurd to me that on a 9 hour shift you get an hour and a half break, and 45 minutes break for 8 hours. As a result, in order to work a standard 37.5 hour week, you have to be at work for 9 hours each day. Do I have to take all of this entitlement, or can I ask for a shorter break, as 90 minutes break is just ridiculous, I don't wish to have that much as it's unpaid anyway.

In essence, what I'm saying is, does everyone who works full time at Tesco really go in for 9 hours each day?

Yeah, at my store people either do 9 hour shifts so have a 90 minute break or a 7.5 hour shift and have a half hour break. You can't ask for less of a break, it's the law if you're there for 9 hours that you have that amount of break. If there are only 9 hour shifts, then you're stuck with 90 mins.
Does anyone know how long it takes to get the offer letter ?
I just applied for part-time job checkouts that is temporary. Approximately how long will they take to reply back to me?

Many thanks :smile:
Original post by HamzaH1996
I just applied for part-time job checkouts that is temporary. Approximately how long will they take to reply back to me?

Many thanks :smile:

When I applied it took 3 days to get a reply.
Thinking about applying to work at a tesco express does anyone know if you get the same benefits (e.g. Sunday premium Bank holiday extra) as normal tesco stores ?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1159
I'm sure you lot get this all the time but:

I've got a group interview at Tesco's tomorrow for a 'Personal Shopper' role

I've never had a group interview before so I don't know at all what to expect.

Could anyone who's been along to one recently offer any advice?

Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest