The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Could anybody recommend me a decent hairdresser around town ?
Thanks
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Hello, I'd like to speak to someone who is currently in the Canadian A990 Medicine program :smile: Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction?
Reply 8662
As a North American who will be starting at St. Andrews this September, would love feedback about which mobile carrier has the best signal in town, plans, service etc. Thanks!
Original post by nml181
As a North American who will be starting at St. Andrews this September, would love feedback about which mobile carrier has the best signal in town, plans, service etc. Thanks!

O2's pretty good for signal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,

Assuming I get the grades in the summer, I will be starting in September doing English and Spanish but I would like to know if there are any reading lists that I should be getting on with?
A lot of my friends have had loads of information since firming their offers regarding applicant days, accommodation and how they should be preparing for the course (a friend going to Durham has had a list of like 50 books to be getting on with). I haven't actually heard anything from the university since firming and I don't want to be at a disadvantage when I start.

So will i receive this information? Or do I have to find it? And if so where can I find it?

Thanks
Original post by usernameyep
Hello,

Assuming I get the grades in the summer, I will be starting in September doing English and Spanish but I would like to know if there are any reading lists that I should be getting on with?
A lot of my friends have had loads of information since firming their offers regarding applicant days, accommodation and how they should be preparing for the course (a friend going to Durham has had a list of like 50 books to be getting on with). I haven't actually heard anything from the university since firming and I don't want to be at a disadvantage when I start.

So will i receive this information? Or do I have to find it? And if so where can I find it?

Thanks

Ha.

nah there isn't :smile: you won't be disadvantaged but just google St Andrews reading lists and then enter your module codes (EN1003 + SP1001)
Original post by usernameyep
Hello,

Thanks

There are reading lists available but honestly no one bothers to read any of it until tutorials start so I wouldn't worry.
This is not a reply but a new discussion.

As a parent of a 1st year, I have a few questions at the University which maybe someone can address:

(1)The university has been in the news because of the two sex attacks in one academic year. It is good to see that there is a free bus running between 22.00-02.00 am every evening to DRA furing exam time. Will this be a permanent feature due to the poor public tranport links and the significant distance once the Scottish winter returns? Will there be a regular update on attempts to find the attackers, and if so why not? This is a small town and these things do not go away unless solved. I am a very worried parent. It was rather disappointing to see yet another banal article in the foreign press (NY Times) in the same time frame about the wow factor and draw of Will/Kate and nothing about this.

(2) The semester dates (when did we stop having terms?) seem geared up to the large US student population and ill fitted to the home market e.g. students elsewhere in the UK/EU who get an Easter break to study or be with their families. Why no holiday over Easter just before exams but two revision weeks later? I might be wrong but it seems a bit of out of sync with other Scottish universities as well.It is also fairly ill suited to late August or September internships for home students.

(3) St Andrews and the graduate employment market especially the home market-how much does the university do to push this? It seems that many students return to their respective countries which may skew statistics. That is fine but where do they end up at home? Now with a child at St Andrews and not having had to think about it before, I have become concerned by their absence in the circles in which we and others we know work where most people come from certain Cambrdige colleges, certain Oxford colleges, LSE, UCL, Nottingham, Manchester, Warwick, Leeds, Kings, Imperial, Edinburgh, Glasgow and the order is very interchangeable. Do not assume that the first unis listed here will pip gradautes from any of the others and that includes amongst my peers and new graduates.So where are they? I need to know where their employment strengths lie so I can help. Which employers like St Andrews? They are often not in the drop down list for internships etc. Everyone says great, your child is at St Andrews but I am worried that that means great for reasons not connected to the job market.

(4) Accommodation outside hall -why is it so poor (scarce and not brilliant) even by London student standards which might be the worst? A walk round the town and it all looks rather damp with many a building in need of a good overall-so best to stay in hall if on ecan but that is not the univeristy experience. Comments?
Reply 8668
Original post by oldiemum

As a parent of a 1st year, I have a few questions at the University which maybe someone can address:

(1)The university has been in the news because of the two sex attacks in one academic year. It is good to see that there is a free bus running between 22.00-02.00 am every evening to DRA furing exam time. Will this be a permanent feature due to the poor public tranport links and the significant distance once the Scottish winter returns? Will there be a regular update on attempts to find the attackers, and if so why not? This is a small town and these things do not go away unless solved. I am a very worried parent. It was rather disappointing to see yet another banal article in the foreign press (NY Times) in the same time frame about the wow factor and draw of Will/Kate and nothing about this.

(2) The semester dates (when did we stop having terms?) seem geared up to the large US student population and ill fitted to the home market e.g. students elsewhere in the UK/EU who get an Easter break to study or be with their families. Why no holiday over Easter just before exams but two revision weeks later? I might be wrong but it seems a bit of out of sync with other Scottish universities as well.It is also fairly ill suited to late August or September internships for home students.

(3) St Andrews and the graduate employment market especially the home market-how much does the university do to push this? It seems that many students return to their respective countries which may skew statistics. That is fine but where do they end up at home? Now with a child at St Andrews and not having had to think about it before, I have become concerned by their absence in the circles in which we and others we know work where most people come from certain Cambrdige colleges, certain Oxford colleges, LSE, UCL, Nottingham, Manchester, Warwick, Leeds, Kings, Imperial, Edinburgh, Glasgow and the order is very interchangeable. Do not assume that the first unis listed here will pip gradautes from any of the others and that includes amongst my peers and new graduates.So where are they? I need to know where their employment strengths lie so I can help. Which employers like St Andrews? They are often not in the drop down list for internships etc. Everyone says great, your child is at St Andrews but I am worried that that means great for reasons not connected to the job market.

(4) Accommodation outside hall -why is it so poor (scarce and not brilliant) even by London student standards which might be the worst? A walk round the town and it all looks rather damp with many a building in need of a good overall-so best to stay in hall if on ecan but that is not the univeristy experience. Comments?

Hello, and welcome. Firstly, it is important to keep perspective about the recent attacks that have happened in St Andrews. None of the girls involved were seriously sexually assaulted but none the less they were left shaken. I have been here for 5 years and I there have not been > 5 attacks of this nature. When they do happen the University immediately warns people about this and sends out appeals for information. The local Police step up patrols around university property late at night and the increased presence can definitely be seen, especially around the areas where the attacks have happened. As far as I am aware the bus service will not return after the exam period and in my opinion it doesn't need to. Assaults of this nature are extremely rare in St Andrews and a lot of areas are well lit, in addition there is plenty of support from the Students' Association, free alarms etc. Most if not all of the paths to halls are well lit and there are normally other people walking home late a night from a night out. Contrary to what you think St. Andrews has excellent public transport links, with lots of frequent buses and taxis.

The semester system is largely taken from US universities and yes while it is a pain if you want to go home for the "real easter" there is nothing stopping you doing that, you can always just catch up when you come back. I think the reason why easter break is where it is, is because if it were where you wanted it, it would effectively be at the end of the teaching in the semester. In effect giving 4 weeks before exam period; doesn't bode well for revision.

It really depends on your department about the prospects and connections to industry. I happen to be very lucky, the department I study in has excellent connections to both industry and academia. Apart from this, there are a range of societies that could provide you with networking opportunities as well as various career fairs that we have here and the career centre itself. If you look hard enough, there are plenty of opportunities here, it just won't be handed to you on a plate.

There is a chronic shortage of accommodation because the university consistency keep increasing its intake while the amount of accommodation remains largely static. First years are guaranteed a place in halls and it is very possible to find private accommodation provided you are organised and committed to doing so. The only downside to private is that it is a bit expensive but not every land lord over-charges for rent and most are good landlords. As you said, part of the university experience is renting a poorly insulated building and living with minimal heating throughout the year. There is nothing inherently dangerous about this is there?

1) As of now, there've not been any recent updates on the sexual assaults and the bus is not running past exam time. However, there is a public transport bus that goes out to DRA. It's really only a 30 minute walk at a normal pace, and Scottish winters honestly do not get that cold (I think during the academic year we only dropped below 0 a few times). I know a lot of people will say that sexual assaults happen in every city more than we've had, but for such a small town, 2 in one year is a lot (and there may be others that go unreported…). Anyway, I don't think it's a massive concern. Everyone is hyper-aware now, so even without the busses I don't think there would be a problem. It's easy to let your guard down in such a 'safe' town, but if you keep normal precautions you should be fine.

2) As a north american student, I can say that the semester dates are weird by our standards too. But such is life. It's really not that big of a deal, and it is possible to arrange summer jobs/internships/volunteer opportunities that work with the term dates.

3) My only comment on this is that the career centre here seems very useless. If I hadn't walked past it one day, I wouldn't know that there even was one. Apparently graduate prospects are excellent though.

4) Small town, high demand, and a decently well-off (in some cases) student population, landlords can rack up prices. The "University Experience" is different for everyone. Some people live in flats/houses, others stay in halls, and some do a few years of each. It's whatever the individual is most comfortable with. A lot of the flats and houses are actually quite nice; obviously some are better than others, but I don't think any are really unliveable.

Please remember that it's your child's choice where they go, and if they think they'd be happy at St Andrews, then it's the right place for them.
Hi there! Whilst I am not currently a student (I only start in September), I have lived in the general area for quite some time, so will try and answer your questions!

1) Whilst DRA seems like a trek compared to the other halls, it is within a stone's throw from the centre compared to most universities, especially those that are not based on a campus as such. The buses will not be a permanent feature beyond the exams, but even so, St Andrews is fairly mild, especially in this past year. Unfortunately, I cannot say an awful lot about the safety of the town. Being filled with so many students, there are the usual dangers, but reasonable precaution will normally suffice-I think many students become quite lax though in this aspect. Incidents such as this happen at pretty much every university, but as it is normally an incident in a city, it is not given as much press coverage. You cannot blame the university for what the NY Times writes; this information was freely released, so they chose to exclude it.

2) Spring holidays are normally quite early here, but I can't really say why. They do have two weeks off in March though, on top of reading weeks. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by these being 'ill-suited' for internships though, sorry.

3) Everyone I know who has graduated from St Andrews has found a respectable graduate job with good pay. I guess it depends on the department though. As long as your child has some experience under their belt, I'm sure they will be fine. One thing I will say is, the careers centre will not chase your child up to see how they are doing; (s)he has to be proactive! Ask for internship advice, part-time work, volunteering opportunities... The university is great, as long as you make them aware of your plight.

4) St Andrews is a small town, with high demand and not much room for expansion. It may stay this way for some time. The buildings are all functioning though, and its the experience that makes student life so amazing, not the appearance of your flat.

All the best for your kid though! x

Helpp!!
I got an offer for the St Andrews Mathematics course G100 for point entry 1, does the point entry mean starting for year one, or is fast track still available?
Original post by hippopotamus03
Helpp!!
I got an offer for the St Andrews Mathematics course G100 for point entry 1, does the point entry mean starting for year one, or is fast track still available?

Call admissions and speak to them, they are the only ones that can give you a reliable answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8673
Original post by hippopotamus03
Helpp!!

Relax, yes you can still go straight into year 2. These things aren't decided until you meet your advisor for advising on to modules.
Hi

I was wondering whether any students have taken part in an interview for St. Andrews or study there currently? I'm a budding applicant and would like to know about student experiences/questions asked at the interview.

All voices would be welcomed and appreciated!
Sorry if this has already been asked, but what's the deal with "academic families"? We had a presentation at our school and he explained that older students "adopt" first years at the beginning of the year. The way he was talking he made it sound as if it's like the lifeblood of the whole social system, but I don't really understand how the process works?
Everyone keeps saying industry connections "depend on the department", well what departments have good industry connections? What about chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Everyone keeps saying industry connections "depend on the department", well what departments have good industry connections? What about chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry has excellent ones. For a start we share the building with Sasol, the South African coal and gas company, and have contacts with big and little pharma, petrochemicals and more which means high numbers of students can secure industrial placements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Chemistry has excellent ones. For a start we share the building with Sasol, the South African coal and gas company, and have contacts with big and little pharma, petrochemicals and more which means high numbers of students can secure industrial placements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey that's really good to hear thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Hey that's really good to hear thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a problem. If you have more specific questions about anything else chemistry related at St A's just drop a PM.

Latest