The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

A degree from Exeter and then what?

I firmed Exeter for PPE, and I'm really worried about its reputation and my prospects for the future.
I'd really like to do my postgraduate degree at Oxbridge, then go to law school and go into corporate law eventually. However, I get a feeling that Exeter's relatively poor reputation (stressing relatively) will prevent me from doing either of those. I mean: if a grad admissions officer sees two applications, one from a guy with a first from Oxford/LSE/Durham/Warwick, the other with a first from Exeter, they'll obviously pick the Oxford/LSE etc. one, right? (The same goes for employers.)
I know it's a very simplified scenario, but can I have some informed opinions on that?
I'd hardly consider Exeter's reputation poor in any sense-of course it doesn't stack up to Oxbridge/LSE but nothing does, and it's not as though there's some unimaginably huge cut-off gulf between those three institutions and say, the rest of the Russell Group.

FWIW my cousin works in corporate law (IP) and he said Exeter was a fantastic uni when I told him I'd firmed it
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
If you get into Exeter and get a first in Law and do a PG qualification somewhere and then for some reason you can't make a success of yourself... that's on you, not the university.

Starting a career blaming the university you went to before you've even started your degree... that's a pretty bad attitude.

Anyway if you're so concerned about Exeter's reputation, why firm it in the first place? Why not take your pick of Oxford/LSE/Durham/Warwick, if Exeter is not going to provide you what you need to meet your massive potential?
Reply 3
Original post by nonswimmer
If you get into Exeter and get a first in Law and do a PG qualification somewhere and then for some reason you can't make a success of yourself... that's on you, not the university.

Starting a career blaming the university you went to before you've even started your degree... that's a pretty bad attitude.

Anyway if you're so concerned about Exeter's reputation, why firm it in the first place? Why not take your pick of Oxford/LSE/Durham/Warwick, if Exeter is not going to provide you what you need to meet your massive potential?

Oh, I'm not assuming it'll be bad, just asking. I know uni is what you make of it, but the only people I know who study at Exeter are idiots. (and I mean the 'omg, I don't remember how to divide by ten' kind of idiots, so I hope you get what I mean)
Reply 4
Original post by dreamer959
Oh, I'm not assuming it'll be bad, just asking. I know uni is what you make of it, but the only people I know who study at Exeter are idiots. (and I mean the 'omg, I don't remember how to divide by ten' kind of idiots, so I hope you get what I mean)

Well then you will fit right in, as you sound like a major idiot.
Original post by Film

No need to be rude on here.
Original post by dreamer959
I firmed Exeter for PPE, and I'm really worried about its reputation and my prospects for the future.
I'd really like to do my postgraduate degree at Oxbridge, then go to law school and go into corporate law eventually. However, I get a feeling that Exeter's relatively poor reputation (stressing relatively) will prevent me from doing either of those. I mean: if a grad admissions officer sees two applications, one from a guy with a first from Oxford/LSE/Durham/Warwick, the other with a first from Exeter, they'll obviously pick the Oxford/LSE etc. one, right? (The same goes for employers.)
I know it's a very simplified scenario, but can I have some informed opinions on that?

I'm not an expert on this, but I know that Exeter is improving every year reputation wise. Sure it's not Oxbridge etc but it is still the top end of the university spectrum.
The name only goes so far, so if you do go and get a 1st or even a 2:1 you'll still be making a competitive application. The rest of it is down to your attitude and your ability to shine at interviews etc :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Film

No need to take it personally (since I now assume you're a student there). I didn't say 'everyone at Exeter is an idiot' because that's impossible, even at a bad uni which Exeter is not (not to mention how extreme my example of idiocy was). I was talking about an isolated group of two of my classmates whom I probably won't even see much anyway. And if that's how mature you are as a uni student, then I think it says more about your level of intelligence (or lack thereof) than mine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending