The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shiggydiggy
At what point do people with babies realise that constantly posting baby photos/statuses on facebook is the equivalent of walking around with a baby photo album screaming "LOOK AT MY BABY. LOOK AT IT. THIS IS MY BABY"? It seems as though slowly, but surely, more of my friends are having their personalities sapped away by having a baby.

It's almost as tedious as people who feel the need to update the world on how many cannulas they've done today via their facebook status.

kill me pls

Well, in defence of baby-photo-posters... :tongue:

It's Facebook - potentially full of people doing slightly irritating things LOOK AT MY DINNER. LOOK AT IT. THIS IS MY DINNER. Or LOOK AT MY HOLIDAY. LOOK AT IT. THIS IS WHERE I AM ON HOLIDAY. etc.
You can 'unfollow' people so you don't get them on your newsfeed but haven't defriended if it bothers you that much?

I was pleased I managed to resit any bump mentions/photos/live labour updates etc. on Facebook - the first reference was a birth announcement. But a baby is kind of a Big Deal when it's yours. :love:
Or you have the distant devoted relatives spurring you on.
Or when you're on Mat Leave then 'Baby' is pretty much what your life is - I suspect my postings will decrease now... but despite my best intentions of minimal baby I've just calculated an average of 2.2 photos per week uploaded in the album of BabyElles' 1st year - although technically they're not in every photo. But that said - I'm aware they're probably not everyone's kettle of fish - so I went on a bit of a pre-emptive 'friend' cull myself of people I probably wouldn't be showing an actual photo album to. :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Elles

It's Facebook - potentially full of people doing slightly irritating things LOOK AT MY DINNER. LOOK AT IT. THIS IS MY DINNER. Or LOOK AT MY HOLIDAY. LOOK AT IT. THIS IS WHERE I AM ON HOLIDAY. etc.
You can 'unfollow' people so you don't get them on your newsfeed but haven't defriended if it bothers you that much?

I was pleased I managed to resit any bump mentions/photos/live labour updates etc. on Facebook - the first reference was a birth announcement. But a baby is kind of a Big Deal when it's yours. :love:
Or you have the distant devoted relatives spurring you on.
Or when you're on Mat Leave then 'Baby' is pretty much what your life is - I suspect my postings will decrease now... but despite my best intentions of minimal baby I've just calculated an average of 2.2 photos per week uploaded in the album of BabyElles' 1st year - although technically they're not in every photo. But that said - I'm aware they're probably not everyone's kettle of fish - so I went on a bit of a pre-emptive 'friend' cull myself of people I probably wouldn't be showing an actual photo album to. :redface:

Baby Elles is an exception. :p: I don't think I've ever seen you use the words "Little Princess" (vom) so far. Though she doesn't help my outrageous broodyness. :o:

How's being back at work?
(edited 9 years ago)
At what point do people with babies realise that constantly posting baby photos/statuses on facebook is the equivalent of walking around with a baby photo album screaming "LOOK AT MY BABY. LOOK AT IT. THIS IS MY BABY"? It seems as though slowly, but surely, more of my friends are having their personalities sapped away by having a baby.

It's almost as tedious as people who feel the need to update the world on how many cannulas they've done today via their facebook status.

kill me pls

Being in my opinion too young to have a baby, I quite enjoy looking (judging) my 'friends' baby photos. It's especially therapeutic in exam times.

I know what you mean though, I really don't need to know how dilated someone is. :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1443
http://new.livestream.com/BartsandTheLondon/GlassSurgery

Exciting times. Making good use of tech :biggrin:
Original post by iMed
http://new.livestream.com/BartsandTheLondon/GlassSurgery

Exciting times. Making good use of tech :biggrin:

Looking forward to this so I can use it as 'educational procrastination'
Original post by Elles

Because I'd feel bad. They are my friends, ultimately.

I get how important your own child is, but jesus, when every single conversation is about the kid (or they do that irritating parent thing of ultimately twisting every conversation to end up being about their kid), it's like their personality has been erased.

Maybe I have a low threshold because I'm currently on paeds and I'm sick of the sight of children.
Because I'd feel bad. They are my friends, ultimately.

I get how important your own child is, but jesus, when every single conversation is about the kid (or they do that irritating parent thing of ultimately twisting every conversation to end up being about their kid), it's like their personality has been erased.

Maybe I have a low threshold because I'm currently on paeds and I'm sick of the sight of children.

I am not nor have I been on a paeds rotation and still agree with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Question:

If a young boy presents with acute testicular pain, and has a positive blue spot sign (giving a strong indication it's a torsion of hydatid of Morgagnia), do you still do exploratory surgery?

My book and the internet just say to explore if you still have any suspicion of testicular torsion, but i don't know if the blue-dot sign should be enough to convince you? Internet seems to suggest it's pretty much pathognomonic to Morgagni.
Reply 1448
Original post by hoonosewot
Question:

If a young boy presents with acute testicular pain, and has a positive blue spot sign (giving a strong indication it's a torsion of hydatid of Morgagnia), do you still do exploratory surgery?

My book and the internet just say to explore if you still have any suspicion of testicular torsion, but i don't know if the blue-dot sign should be enough to convince you? Internet seems to suggest it's pretty much pathognomonic to Morgagni.

Sounds like a judgement call for the urologist on-call, based on the whole clinical picture. I think if it clinically looks like appendix testes torsion and no signs to suggest testicular torsion then you should have time to get a doppler done just to confirm blood flow is OK and manage the patient conservatively.
Reply 1449
Also, some light relief from medicine - someone reminded me earlier of this hilarious television moment, and it made my day:
My precise reaction after watching an operation to relieve priapism:

Original post by Tech
Also, some light relief from medicine - someone reminded me earlier of this hilarious television moment, and it made my day:

This is at least the 5th time I've seen this and I still kill myself laughing.
I failed anatomy so badly today, I can't even motivate myself to revise for my other exams. :/
Most of my friends have all finished their OSCEs, and mine is still one week away, just want to get it over and done with now, so bored of revising.
Original post by Mushi_master
Most of my friends have all finished their OSCEs, and mine is still one week away, just want to get it over and done with now, so bored of revising.

18 days to go here... Def want to get it over with!

Just had two weeks of teaching on ethics, end of life care, and dealing with complaints/FAI (coroners inquests). If I wasn't mildly terrified about FY1 then, I am now... :rolleyes:
Got my OSCE tomorrow and can't wait to get it out of the way.

Worried that my first station is urinalysis, though. In my anatomy practical I was shaking with nerves for the first minute or so.. if I'm like that tomorrow I don't want to fling a pot of (albeit fake) urine over the examiner.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
18 days to go here... Def want to get it over with!

Just had two weeks of teaching on ethics, end of life care, and dealing with complaints/FAI (coroners inquests). If I wasn't mildly terrified about FY1 then, I am now... :rolleyes:

It just feels like dragging it out now doesn't it. I honestly don't think my performance on the day will improve with another week of this (nerves will still get the better of me!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
It just feels like dragging it out now doesn't it. I honestly don't think my performance on the day will improve with another week of this (nerves will still get the better of me!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup. I've hit the point of being beyond caring, it's pass/fail and the chances of failing are miniscule (assuming no absolute catastrophes over the 2 days, hope I'm not tempting fate here!!). There's only 16 stations so it feels like whatever I revise the chances are it won't come up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup. I've hit the point of being beyond caring, it's pass/fail and the chances of failing are miniscule (assuming no absolute catastrophes over the 2 days, hope I'm not tempting fate here!!). There's only 16 stations so it feels like whatever I revise the chances are it won't come up!
Original post by Tech

Looked like a complete tit in the Library watching this 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending