The Student Room Group

Teaching about homosexuality in school?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by demhka
I am confused. If it is not all about sexual attraction how do you know that you are gay? Also SEXUAL attraction and just attraction (as in falling in love with someone) are two different things

A person's sexuality is often determined by who they are romantically, not sexually, attracted to. For example, if an asexual was attracted to the same-sex exclusively, and wanted to have relationships but not sexual intercourse with that person, they would still be considered homosexual.
Reply 61
Original post by MostUncivilised
A person's sexuality is often determined by who they are romantically, not sexually, attracted to. For example, if an asexual was attracted to the same-sex exclusively, and wanted to have relationships but not sexual intercourse with that person, they would still be considered homosexual.

Uh, no. Its determined by who they are sexually attracted to. This is how "homosexual" is defined in the dictionary;
Homosexual:a person, especially a man, who is SEXUALLY attracted to people of the same sex.
Original post by demhka
Uh, no. Its determined by who they are sexually attracted to. This is how "homosexual" is defined in the dictionary;
Homosexual:a person, especially a man, who is SEXUALLY attracted to people of the same sex.

Actually, it means "sexual, affectionate or romantic attractions" to the same gender. So no, not exclusively sexual.
Reply 63
Actually, it means "sexual, affectionate or romantic attractions" to the same gender. So no, not exclusively sexual.

Most people know they are gay when they find out that they are sexually attracted to the same sex.
Original post by demhka
Most people know they are gay when they find out that they are sexually attracted to the same sex.

You're learning! And then they may choose to have romance and affectation with people of the same sex.

I will say that more and more sexual and romantic attractions are becoming separated. Many would not accept that an asexual who has relationships with the same-sex is 'homosexual'. Similarly some homosexuals only want romantic relationships with opposite-sex individuals, but this does not make them heterosexual.
Reply 66

Well it depends on how broad your definition of sexual orientation is, recently a number of people have broken it down into a sexual orientation (who you're sexually attracted to) and romantic orientation (who you are romantically attached to) - though they are usually very similar. For instance, some asexuals experience neither sexual attraction nor romantic attachment, some are asexual but experience romantic attachment, whereas others are aromantic but experience sexual attraction (therefore technically not asexual as such but they fall under the community's "banner" if you will). Or to put it another way, a female bisexual who is sexually attracted to both men and women but is only romantically attached to men - in this case she would be bisexual but heteroromantic. I hope that makes sense?

Original post by demhka
Theories aka ASSUMPTIONS by scientists?

You do understand the scientific definition of theory? Clearly not, but here we go:
"A hypothesis or a set a set of hypotheses which are well backed by evidence and repeated testing." It's hardly a set of mere "assumptions" as you contend.
(edited 9 years ago)
That Luke Alexander man sounds like a numpty but he makes a good point. The quality of sex ed in this country is abysmal and heteronormativity is part of the issue.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Similarly some homosexuals only want romantic relationships with opposite-sex individuals, but this does not make them heterosexual.

That's not very common though, only really happens when a gay person wants to hide their sexuality, which isn't needed these days.
Original post by Skip_Snip
That's not very common though, only really happens when a gay person wants to hide their sexuality, which isn't needed these days.

How do you know? Did you do a survey?
Reply 70
Most of what we learnt (maybe around 8years ago) just covered safety regarding contraception and STDs, and the effects of puberty on both genders bodies. I think there may have been a brief video with crude animation about heterosexual sex, and some footage of childbirth. Unless I've forgotten something homosexual relationships were not covered at all, which was a shame really since a considerable proportion of the population is homosexual. It just seems unnecessarily exclusive and senseless. I hope things have changed since.
Original post by Skip_Snip

:confused: Based on? Also; even if it were not common it doesn't change any of what I said. More and more it is being accepted that romantic attractions are separate (and should be separately referred to) from sexual ones. So sexual orientation is more and more becoming exclusively about sexual attraction and then people refer to themselves as hetero/homo/bi/pan/a-romantic.
I'm in sixth form at the moment and one of my best friend's is gay. It is an all boys school up until sixth form and apparently they never had one sex ed lesson in the entire 5 years they were there. At my old school (an all girls school) we had a huge range of different sex ed lessons including how to put on a condom. Sure, at the time it seemed funny and no one paid complete attention. But the fact that guys which are now being made to talk to girls have absolutely no idea what to do to stay safe.

The guy you mentioned in the original comment seems a little immature. You can hardly say that it was his school's fault. He clearly knew how to use protection as he was when he became sexually active. It was his own life choice to stop using protection and his school did not cause him to "go off the rails", as you said.

However, yes, homosexuality is no longer illegal, nor is it to be frowned upon. It is not a life choice either so we should be making sure that EVERYONE gets taught the necessary in order to stay safe, and who knows, maybe we could eradicate AIDS and HIV in this country.
Original post by AliyaMustafina
I totally disagreewith homesexuality, but people should be taught to respect it and not use "gay" as an insult like they do now in schools

How on earth can you disagree with homosexuality?! That is one of the most ridiculous, immature and ignorant comments I have ever heard. You may not maybe like the idea or the sight of a gay couple kissing but you do not disagree with homosexuality.
Reply 74
I don't think there should be special gay lessons etc. it would just make homosexuality seem 'strange' to the children. It should be slipped into sex -ed and citizenship lessons. The more of a big deal schools make of it the more of a bid deal children will believe it is.
Original post by UnionGirl3945
How on earth can you disagree with homosexuality?! That is one of the most ridiculous, immature and ignorant comments I have ever heard. You may not maybe like the idea or the sight of a gay couple kissing but you do not disagree with homosexuality.

Well I just don't think its right, I would never discriminate against someone who is homosexual but theres no harm in saying you dont agree with it. Im not bothered whatsoever by a gay couple kissing
It should definitely be in the syllabus that homosexuality exists and the different type of loving relationships that exist outside 1/1 male, female couples. Having it in the syllabus to inform that it exists is not gay propaganda, it's about facts.
Original post by AliyaMustafina
Well I just don't think its right, I would never discriminate against someone who is homosexual but theres no harm in saying you dont agree with it. Im not bothered whatsoever by a gay couple kissing

How can it be wrong? Its not a life choice to be gay. It is pure genetics. I mean sure you're entitled to an opinion but maybe you need to word certain ones in a way that makes it clear. I'm really intrigued by the idea of it being right or wrong... That's not supposed to be patronising. It is a genuine comment
Reply 78
If part of Sexual Education then this could be a reasonable idea. However HIV is something any homosexual in the modern day should be very much aware of and at 18 he should definitely have known better. Sex Ed teaches about contraception and contracting diseases, so he should have probably used some common sense when being sexually active. Also schools should be extremely casual about homosexuality and seek to prevent sexuality-orientated bullying, but at the same time should refrain from promoting homosexuality. Many teenagers suffer traumatic experiences from thinking they may be homosexual when they actually aren't, causing permanently damaging experiences and leaving children ostracised. I get the feeling on these forums that people are so afraid of being homophobic, that they would rather see children indoctrinated into being attracted to the same sex than offend a homosexual.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LSVO
Many teenagers suffer traumatic experiences from thinking they may be homosexual when they actually aren't

:lol: How common is that? I mean, actually how common is it?

In terms of teenagers who think they are gay, would it be 1 out of 100? 1 out of 1000? Completely made-up problem, pushed by right-wing and religious fanatics who desire to convince gay teens that they are not in fact gay.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending