The Student Room Group

13th June 2014 - Edexcel 1MA0 Higher Paper 2 - My Answers and Worked Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lolololol
Apologies if there is already a thread or any of these are wrong... I just got the paper and here are my answers:

1) (4, 5.5) [2 marks]
2) b) negative, c) 6.2ºC [4 marks]
3) 2.06428571 [2 marks]
4) 28.3cm [2 marks]
5) translation with vector (5, -3) [2 marks]
6) 2:15pm [3 marks]
7) 54º [3 marks]
8) a) 29/100, b) 195, c) less young people as they will be in school or work, the first 10 people could be in a group and could be of similar age etc.[6 marks]
9) 5 2/3cm [4 marks]
10) a) p^6, b) t^5, c) 2^6, d) 4 [4 marks]
11) £186.20 [5 marks]
12) a) 5n-1, b) 2(3n-n^2) [3 marks]
13) a) -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, b) x>4.5 [4 marks]
14) £25.80 [5 marks]
15) a) 7.5km, b) 217º [7 marks]
16) 1.875x10^8 [2 marks]
17) a) 7.5cm, b) 8cm [4 marks]
18) a) £209.70, b) original train = £200, original pay = £510. She used to spend 39% of her pay on her train ticket and now she spends 42% so this is a 3% increase (or other similar comparisons) [6 marks]
19) (2, 1 1/3, 1) [2 marks]
20) 75.5 [3 marks]
21) a) y^2 - 7y + 10, b) factorises to 2(2n^2+n) which is even [5 marks]
22) 0.064<0.1 so they are correct [3 marks]
23) a) the sample size of the strata is proportional to the size of the strata in relation to the population, b) 26 [3 marks]
24) 8 [3 marks]
25) 302cm^3 [3 marks]
26) x=6, y=0 or x=-3.6, y=-4.8 [5 marks]
27) 43.9cm^2 [5 marks]

for q 22, I wrote for some weird reaso. the 0.064 then timesd by 2, for 1.28, Idk why, (I didn't sleep at all the night before) how many marks would I get

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did any if you do the aqa june 13 2014 unit 3 exam which was today?
Do you have a physical copy of the exam paper @lololol
Reply 43
Original post by Midnight1811
Do you have a physical copy of the exam paper @lololol

I do, but I don't have a scanner.

But can you take pictures please

Please could you take photos, add to dropbox, share the folder and hey pronto no need for a folder. The quality doesn't have to be 100%, just so we can read it. It'll make checking the answers easier and a lot less stressful. I'm aware its a Friday night, but if you could go to the effort and do that then you're a star!
Reply 46
Original post by corporal
But can you take pictures please

Original post by Midnight1811
Please could you take photos, add to dropbox, share the folder and hey pronto no need for a folder. The quality doesn't have to be 100%, just so we can read it. It'll make checking the answers easier and a lot less stressful. I'm aware its a Friday night, but if you could go to the effort and do that then you're a star!

Pictures are coming soon...

Thank you so much:cool:

You are a legend!
I got 4.8 for q 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50

Thank you so much.

You know for the hemisphere and cone question i used 14cm as the height of the cone. But i did the corrects method so how many marks will i lose.

For the parallelogram i used the formula 0.5absinc and used sin as 100 and then i timesed tha area of traingle by 2 to get my answer, so how many marks will i lose for that Q
I'm a maths teacher :tongue:

My students found it hard, there were a lot of worded questions. I thought it was okay when I was doing it but maybe a bit harder than other ones. Seems easy to drop marks on silly things. Like on the LCM question, instead of the LCM they wanted the LCM that was greater than 60, which was a bit mean.

So, what do u think the grade boundaries r going to be?
Reply 53
Thank you so much.

You know for the hemisphere and cone question i used 14cm as the height of the cone. But i did the corrects method so how many marks will i lose.

For the parallelogram i used the formula 0.5absinc and used sin as 100 and then i timesed tha area of traingle by 2 to get my answer, so how many marks will i lose for that Q

Not sure - it was only 3 marks so I guess you only lose one for the cone/hemisphere one.

Parallelogram - not sure what you mean. Do you mean you did 1/2 absinC with the wrong angle/lengths?

Original post by cheerupgrrl5:)
So, what do u think the grade boundaries r going to be?

No idea really. I'd guess similar to other years.
I wrote down my answers on tracing paper so I could use the unofficial marks scheme, tallying up non calc 45 and calc 48.....93! (for me that is very good - me and maths do not mix) That seems like a B to me. If the boundary for a B is 93 or less then I am laughing mate. I'am proud of myself (even though I feel dumb on here hahaha)
Reply 55
Original post by camcam88
I wrote down my answers on tracing paper so I could use the unofficial marks scheme, tallying up non calc 45 and calc 48.....93! (for me that is very good - me and maths do not mix) That seems like a B to me. If the boundary for a B is 93 or less then I am laughing mate. I'am proud of myself (even though I feel dumb on here hahaha)

Don't feel dumb - that's really good :smile: Fingers crossed that you get your B! And maybe you missed off a few method marks too :smile:
Not sure - it was only 3 marks so I guess you only lose one for the cone/hemisphere one.

Parallelogram - not sure what you mean. Do you mean you did 1/2 absinC with the wrong angle/lengths?

No idea really. I'd guess similar to other years.

For that parallelogram - i idid 0.5 * length * length* sin100.
Then the answer times by 2 to get the answer. But you worked out the sin angle but i didn't i just used the angle they gave us
for question 18 i did 200 x 1.048^2how many marks will i get?
Reply 58
Don't feel dumb - that's really good :smile: Fingers crossed that you get your B! And maybe you missed off a few method marks too :smile:

This is the hardest maths edexcel exam. Agree?
Reply 59
For that parallelogram - i idid 0.5 * length * length* sin100.
Then the answer times by 2 to get the answer. But you worked out the sin angle but i didn't i just used the angle they gave us

Maybe 1 mark for doubling your answer of the triangle? Not sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending