The Student Room Group

13th June 2014 - Edexcel 1MA0 Higher Paper 2 - My Answers and Worked Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lolololol
I am :smile: I am not that sure but if I had to estimate I would say 130-135 (similar to other years).

OK, thanks :smile: & one more thing if you don't mind, the results are coming out on the 21st of August? Someone said 24th :/ you're a teacher so you would know best, cheers!
Reply 101
Here are my answers to the Higher Paper 2:

8) c) less young people as they will be in school or work, the first 10 people could be in a group and could be of similar age etc.[6 marks]
20) 75.5 [3 marks]
23) a) the sample size of the strata is proportional to the size of the strata in relation to the population, b) 26 [3 marks]

Hello
I would like to ask if the following answers would be considered correct:
8-c- some people may lie about their age
10 people isn't enough to determine the age of the customers and it should be done at different times.
20- mean of 55 students =( mean of class a + mean of class b)/2
cross multiply
144= 67.8 +b
mean = 76.2
would i still get a mark for this?
23-a- each pupil has an equal chance of being picked.

Thank you very much
For the probability of the coin one I didn't do a probability tree as I wasn't thinking so I got 0.4 by doing 1-0.6 but then I times it by 3 to get 1.2 rather than doing 0.4 x 0.4 x 0.4 to get 0.064 does this mean I get no marks or would I get some method marks? Anyone help?
I've just realised I made that mistaked
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FernPannell
In your opinion what do you think the grade boundary for an A* will be this year? Last year it was 165/200.. do you think it will go up or down?

Similar to that :smile:

Original post by PRITHVINAGRAJ
ok thanks, and since you got hold of maths gcse, i was wondering if you could possible get hold of the french / german / edexcel gcse. Because i'm sure that the language department of your school would access them. Thanks so much for this!

No, sorry! Maybe you could ask at your school?

Original post by mahaxok
You know for the simultaneous equation question, if I only got one of the solutions for x and y how many marks would I get? I'm so angry with myself because when it got to the last two pages and panicked and sat there and kept writing a load of solutions down and ended up asking for extra paper :/ I could've done so much better but I think that I got the parallelogram one correct!

Also for the party one, I didn't use 72 but 96 meaning that I got a different answer but did the exact same method... What do you think that I could get for that?

I really hope that I get my a* after this because maths is the subject that I've tried so hard on and it would be a shame because every past paper I've done I've managed to get a decent a*. I wish I could know what I've got already because the built up now is horrible and I'm so disappointed in myself for not delivering to my best. Many thanks for the uploads though!

Probably 2 marks for the simultaneous equations one, possibly 3 depending on whether or not you attempted to find the other solutions.

For the party one, I'd guess 3 out of 5 marks as well.

Original post by target21859
Thanks for the paper. I just found out I made more mistakes than I remembered. What do you think will be the grade boundary for an A* out of 200?
Posted from TSR Mobile

See above.
Original post by Michael2999
Here are my answers to the Higher Paper 2:

omg, do you have the paper 1 answers?! :s-smilie: so stoked
got 80 ish for this

Not yet, I left it at school :colondollar:
Original post by target21859
Yeah I did the same with 96. I was looking at the mark schemes for previous years and you would lose just 1 mark maybe 2. I hope this is the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes probably only 1 or 2.

Original post by Ola127
I think I scored about a 65 for the first paper and a 73 for this paper, so if I got 138/200 overall do you think that would get me an A?

I would guess yes :smile:

Original post by ItsTheMrG
Many thanks for this good sir! If I'm not mistaking, you're a maths teacher, correct? If so, what do you think the grade boundaries should be for an A?

Around 130-135, similar to previous years probably.
Original post by German123
Thankyou so much

No problem :h:
Original post by Charl0ttels
I got 44cm^2 for the last one, would I still get the marks 😩

Might lose 1 mark for accuracy, depending on the markscheme.

Original post by Taki0515
Hi thanks for worked paper, will u be doing the paper 1 as well, as is easier to remember what I wrote to score it(deciding on career move on this mark -so was gonna see how I did thanks again

Next week some time :smile:

Original post by CoryM
Do you know for the question for the trapezium could t x be 7.5 because if 7.5 + 7.5 =15 and then 9.5 was one of the sides and for the other side it said that it was 4cm bigger so it would be 13.5 for the other side and if you add them ll together you get 38cm.

Unfortunately not, the two other sides were 2x and 2x+4. You have done x+2 and (x+2)+4. Have a look at my worked solutions.

Original post by mahaxok
I think that I got 175 overall but maybe 167 if I count all of my wrong answers 0, do you think that this will definitely get me my a* because I've been over worrying myself and I just need to let it go now!

I would think so :smile:

Original post by crapatmaths
many thanks, also do you have paper 1 answers and solutions by any chance?

Hopefully coming next week, I left the paper at school...
whats 100-110 do you reckon??
OK, thanks :smile: & one more thing if you don't mind, the results are coming out on the 21st of August? Someone said 24th :/ you're a teacher so you would know best, cheers!

They are released on Thursday 21st August :smile: Your school might do it on a different day but I can't imagine why...

Original post by IK98
Hello
I would like to ask if the following answers would be considered correct:
8-c- some people may lie about their age
10 people isn't enough to determine the age of the customers and it should be done at different times.
20- mean of 55 students =( mean of class a + mean of class b)/2
cross multiply
144= 67.8 +b
mean = 76.2
would i still get a mark for this?
23-a- each pupil has an equal chance of being picked.

Thank you very much

8c - yes
20 - no this method is not correct as A and B have different amounts of students in so you can't just add them together and divide by 2.
23 - no as this is a definition of random sampling.

Original post by CaitlinN15
For the probability of the coin one I didn't do a probability tree as I wasn't thinking so I got 0.4 by doing 1-0.6 but then I times it by 3 to get 1.2 rather than doing 0.4 x 0.4 x 0.4 to get 0.064 does this mean I get no marks or would I get some method marks? Anyone help?
I've just realised I made that mistaked
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe 1 for recognising that P(tails) = 0.4.
Original post by crapatmaths
whats 100-110 do you reckon??

I would guess a B.
They are released on Thursday 21st August :smile: Your school might do it on a different day but I can't imagine why...

8c - yes
20 - no this method is not correct as A and B have different amounts of students in so you can't just add them together and divide by 2.
23 - no as this is a definition of random sampling.

Maybe 1 for recognising that P(tails) = 0.4.

Yeah just checked the Edexcel website, it says 21st! 2 months of agony. :bebored:

Have you had a look at Mr. M's mark scheme for paper 2? He might be busy and as you're online and a teacher I might as well ask you the question I asked him..
Yeah just checked the Edexcel website, it says 21st! 2 months of agony. :bebored:

Have you had a look at Mr. M's mark scheme for paper 2? He might be busy and as you're online and a teacher I might as well ask you the question I asked him..

I'll answer any questions that are posted here, I can't manage both threads as there are far too many questions! :eek:
I'll answer any questions that are posted here, I can't manage both threads as there are far too many questions! :eek:

Shall I ask on another thread or is this one ok?

Oops, sorry I see what you mean :tongue:

OK so, for question 15 b you got 217. I wrote 220 instead of 217 (I got all the workings right but I just rounded it to the wrong number, wording confused me) do you think I'll get any marks out of the 4 for this question?
(edited 9 years ago)
Oops, sorry I see what you mean :tongue:

OK so, for question 15 b you got 217. I wrote 220 instead of 217 (I got all the workings right but I just rounded it to the wrong number, wording confused me) do you think I'll get any marks out of the 4 for this question?

You will get at least 3 marks, providing you showed all the necessary working out :smile:
Hi, what did you think of both of the maths papers? Did you think they were more difficult than normal past papers? Thank you :smile:
You will get at least 3 marks, providing you showed all the necessary working out :smile:

for the gravel question, I didnt know it was 6cm and worked it out as if it was 6m, but using the right method, what mark will I get out of 5?
Hi lolololol,

Just a few things:

Q11: I drew a diagram with units to match. Converted all units to centre meters and worked out the volume and divided it by the bag cost (shown most if not all of that, I wrote a lot down). I got an answer around 1.7 million... how many marks dropped from this? [5 marks total]
Q15b: I drew in the north line directly upwards from C, parallel to the north line of A (completely missing that it was another trigonometry question) and I got the answer 042 degrees from C to A. How many marks dropped from this? [4 marks total]
Q18A: I worked out the compound interest as follows: 200(1.33)=266 266(1.15)=305.9, getting £305.90 as my final answer. How many marks dropped from this? [3 marks total]
Q25: I worked out the volume of the cone with the height of 14cm making the volume of the cone and hemisphere solid 369cm^3 (3 SF). How many marks dropped from this? [3 marks total]
Q27: I used 9sin100/11 and then inverted it to give me angle D (58.68292309 degrees) and I wrote down all of that. I then used what was left on the ACD triangle (the one to the left) in order to get the height (I believe I used sine again), which was around 4.5 to 1dp, but in my workings I wrote the full decimal. I then multiplied that by the base (which I believe gave me another number with long decimal answer around 49.5 something and I just rounded to 3SF as instructed in the question). How many marks dropped from this? [5 marks total]

Thanks
I got at least 130 marks, will I scored an A?
Original post by Yvonnegracee
I got at least 130 marks, will I scored an A?

Borderline, I think. If you don't get an A, you'd have been very close, I reckon. I think boundaries will be the average of boundaries for. June 2013 and November 2013 - the two papers' difficulty suggest boundaries like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
Borderline, I think. If you don't get an A, you'd have been very close, I reckon. I think boundaries will be the average of boundaries for. June 2013 and November 2013 - the two papers' difficulty suggest boundaries like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We did the november 2013 one as a mock, I got 149 which is an A, I founded june 2014 papers, are more easier, but some how I got lower. To get in to college I only needed a B, But I really wanted an A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending