The Student Room Group

OCR RS Philosophy and Ethics A2

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know what F.H Bradley actually says about naturalism, my notes on him are really scarce!
For sexual ethics,
Do we just need to know homosexuality, contraception, extra marital and pre marital sex
Then apply the theories?
Original post by BrunoRussell
Does anyone know what F.H Bradley actually says about naturalism, my notes on him are really scarce!

All I have on Bradley is that he says we discover moral obligation from society- moral activity is finding out your position in society and and carrying our your duties...

It's not much, but I hope it helped a bit!:redface:
Original post by lizziec1996
For sexual ethics,
Do we just need to know homosexuality, contraception, extra marital and pre marital sex
Then apply the theories?

Yes - That's what I have done anyway :biggrin: this is why I like this topic
Original post by CuriousQuestioner
Yes - That's what I have done anyway :biggrin: this is why I like this topic

Okay thanks :smile: what secular approaches do you have? Any more than virtue, NL, utilitarianism and Kant?
Original post by BrunoRussell

All I have is:

Naturalism: theory that moral statements are propositional in the same way that non-statement are propositional and can be verified empirically.

Bradley argued you can establish 'good' by understanding your position in society.

"We have found ourselves when we have found our station and its duties, our function as an organ of the social organism."

Bradley argued that in order to be a good person, we must know our own position in society and its duties, and carry out those duties.

It is acceptable to argue that everyone has a specific role to play in society. For example, if a woman became pregnant it would be her duty to be a good mother to that child.

It is unacceptable because he believes that no one should be allowed to have dreams and goals that you cannot accomplish in life.
Why are there 5 predictions? DO they really think that 5 questions will come up?
Reply 1268
is anyone leaving out a topic?
Original post by appleduck
Why are there 5 predictions? DO they really think that 5 questions will come up?

Go back on the previous page and it's on there.

"they", who's "they"? 5 questions will never come up.
Okay thanks :smile: what secular approaches do you have? Any more than virtue, NL, utilitarianism and Kant?

Nope those are it :tongue: For religious approaches don't forget Situation Ethics is good to add in
I know someone tried to explain it to be further back in this thread, but could someone give me a dummies guide to Freud on the conscience?
Original post by CurlyC
I know someone tried to explain it to be further back in this thread, but could someone give me a dummies guide to Freud on the conscience?

Freud said coscience forms from the beliefs and values of our parents, later we develop our own conscience but we are still influenced by these childhood morals and this causes conflict. Conscience is attempting to deal with this conflict and lots of other conflict causes during childhood which creates a lot of guilt in.

The super-ego (one part of our personality others are the id and the ego - the ego is the one in the middle trying to control the conflicting demands of the id which is like a crying baby wanting attention and the super-ego which is like a wise old Yoda trying to tell you the right thing to do) does not like to feel guilty and aims to make us do the right thing - this part is considered to be our conscience.

So our conscience develops out of a guilt complex to deal with guilt from childhood including from one phase called the Oedipus Complex where basically little boys fancy their mothers sexually. This creates guilt which needs to be resolved and from this our morals are formed!

The end :flower2:
Does anyone have anything on sex and theories?? I can nail Bible, but I can't do anything else- someone shared some ZIP files, but when I download them I get zero actual content, just a load of unsupported file types :frown: :frown:

I would be eternall grateful!
Original post by Anny Smiles
Does anyone have anything on sex and theories?? I can nail Bible, but I can't do anything else- someone shared some ZIP files, but when I download them I get zero actual content, just a load of unsupported file types :frown: :frown:

I would be eternall grateful!

Here are tables I made on each approach :biggrin: Might be helpful?
Here are tables I made on each approach :biggrin: Might be helpful?

I could marry you right now, they look perfect!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! :smile:
Original post by NickGreen
Could they ask 2 separate questions on Business Ethics and Environmental ethics though? that would be the worst case of scenario but it's a possibility right?

thanks for responding.

That happened last year! But probably won't happen again for us...I think they might surprise us and put in one of them though again on this paper. Examiners are mean like that :frown:
Freud said coscience forms from the beliefs and values of our parents, later we develop our own conscience but we are still influenced by these childhood morals and this causes conflict. Conscience is attempting to deal with this conflict and lots of other conflict causes during childhood which creates a lot of guilt in.

The super-ego (one part of our personality others are the id and the ego - the ego is the one in the middle trying to control the conflicting demands of the id which is like a crying baby wanting attention and the super-ego which is like a wise old Yoda trying to tell you the right thing to do) does not like to feel guilty and aims to make us do the right thing - this part is considered to be our conscience.

So our conscience develops out of a guilt complex to deal with guilt from childhood including from one phase called the Oedipus Complex where basically little boys fancy their mothers sexually. This creates guilt which needs to be resolved and from this our morals are formed!

The end :flower2:

Ah thank you so much, most useful explanation I've had !!
Original post by appleduck
Do you think a question on Virtue Ethics could focus in on one particular modern thinker, like MacIntyre or Anscombe?

I think they actually could ask a question on that and then ask us to compare maybe the difference between modern thinkers of VE and Aristotle. Maybe ?
:undefined:confused[/

I have situation ethics too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending