The Student Room Group

OCR RS Philosophy and Ethics A2

Scroll to see replies

How would you apply virtue ethics to sexual ethics? My teacher thinks they might come up together (specifically virtue and homosexuality).
Original post by NerdFighteria
How would you apply virtue ethics to sexual ethics? My teacher thinks they might come up together (specifically virtue and homosexuality).

As virtue ethics doesn't focus on the right or wrong of an action (deontological), it focuses more so on the development it can bring about for a person in order for them to reach their virtuous telos of eudaimonia (teleological). Therefore, you could argue that as long as the individuals are developing virtues through the sex they have (such as love,friendship,compassion or faithfulness) it doesn't matter if the sex they have is hetro/homo-sexual.

Talk about how living a fulfilled life and embracing your own homosexuality can be seen as "virtuous" and in line with the principles of virtue ethics. Maybe talk a little bit about how the relative/adaptable nature of virtue ethics fits perfectly with the varied, tangible nature of sexual ethics. Relativity is a strength here because it means you can take each case as it is, and avoid the pitfalls of absolutist theories and approaches (abortion is always wrong).

And then just waffle and b/s or s/t
Original post by nicole5196
Yes, I know but his view has been attributed to hard determinism is other textbooks and articles so it depends on what the nature of your argument is really..

lol everyone knows that the text book is full of errors but if you write the errors in the exam you'll still get the marks :p:E
i'm a bit confused over Aquinas' Synderis and conscienta could someone explain it like what he means???
Original post by jessmeow
i'm a bit confused over Aquinas' Synderis and conscienta could someone explain it like what he means???

He defined synderesis as our constant repetition of the use of right reason.

Thinking of synderesis as a library of reason can be easier. If you think of synderesis as a library, it's empty when you're born. As you grow up and practise reason continuously, the synderesis library slowly fills up with books, until you know all the books in the library off by heart.

Synderesis, Aquinas says, is just one part of what conscience is. The other is conscientia, which is basically the application of synderesis to ethical issues. It's one thing to have a library full of books you know, but it's another to be able to talk about those books in an exam when they're not in front of you. That's conscientia - the application of the library to real life problems.

The synderesis library is what informs the conscientia, which comes together to create the conscience.
Does anybody have any model answers for ethics?
He defined synderesis as our constant repetition of the use of right reason.

Thinking of synderesis as a library of reason can be easier. If you think of synderesis as a library, it's empty when you're born. As you grow up and practise reason continuously, the synderesis library slowly fills up with books, until you know all the books in the library off by heart.

Synderesis, Aquinas says, is just one part of what conscience is. The other is conscientia, which is basically the application of synderesis to ethical issues. It's one thing to have a library full of books you know, but it's another to be able to talk about those books in an exam when they're not in front of you. That's conscientia - the application of the library to real life problems.

The synderesis library is what informs the conscientia, which comes together to create the conscience.

That is such a brilliant description, thank you so much! [you didn't FTBA today, presuming your username means what I think it does :P]
Original post by Anny Smiles
That is such a brilliant description, thank you so much! [you didn't FTBA today, presuming your username means what I think it does :P]

Thank you! The analogy was actually just one I read on a blog somewhere but I found it super helpful. Actually, generally answering questions where possible really helps me to revise because when I explain it the facts stick better in my mind (and it's proven that 90% of information you teach will stick in your brain too).

And yes that is what my username means, thanks! c:
Can I miss out two topics and still be okay?
has anyone got any evaluations of any of the following concept of conscience; Freud, Piaget, Fromm?
Has anyone got some brief notes about sexual ethics? i have made ones from the book but i'm finding it difficult to cut them down and make them easy for me to remember, would be much appreciated :smile:
Ah thought so, so you can approach it from either viewpoint! Thank you for the clarification :smile:

Original post by CuriousQuestioner
Here is what I just came across in the examiner's report for the last paper;
Has anybody got any predictions for tommorrow morning you sassy people; please? :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lizziec1996
Can I miss out two topics and still be okay?

Which ones are you missing out? I am ignoring Virtue Ethics and Business Ethics and also focusing the most on Conscience and Sexual Ethics
Original post by ElisabethX
Has anyone got some brief notes about sexual ethics? i have made ones from the book but i'm finding it difficult to cut them down and make them easy for me to remember, would be much appreciated :smile:

I have done these? Not so much brief but I put them into nice tables :redface:
Reply 1336
Can someone tell me what topics you are predicting for tomorrow morning?
I'm revising conscience, virtue ethics, meta-ethics and free will and determinism and completely missing out applied ethics.
I've looked at all past papers since the spec began and there's always been two questions on theories and two questions on applied, and occasionally the applied questions involve theories but I would obviously avoid these.

Opinions on missing out applied ethics? :confused:
Original post by Mel95
Can someone tell me what topics you are predicting for tomorrow morning?

I think there'll be a question on determinism, one on conscience, one on sexual ethics and maybe one on the environment :smile:
Original post by Boberjob
Has anybody got any predictions for tommorrow morning you sassy people; please? :colondollar:

Official predictions:

1. Freud and Conscience
2. Virtuous Ethics and Environmental Ethics
3. Apply an ethical theory to contraception
4. Virtue Ethics
5. Business Ethics and Conscience

My predictions:

1. Conscience
2. Virtue Ethics
3. Sexual Ethics
4. Business/Enviro

What I want: