The Student Room Group

OCR RS Philosophy and Ethics A2

Scroll to see replies

I am so nervous for a question on sexual ethics as i don't know much about it. I feel i can easily apply ethical theories and make up examples of situations, but i was wondering how much actual knowledge about sexual ethics i need to include and i don't know much at all, especially Christian Ethics wise.
I have also revised Conscience, Meta-Ethics, Free Will & Determinism so i'm not sure if i'm safe against the evil questions they could ask
Original post by CuriousQuestioner
Which ones are you missing out? I am ignoring Virtue Ethics and Business Ethics and also focusing the most on Conscience and Sexual Ethics

Missing out business and conscience and paying attention to the rest:smile:
What are you supposed to talk about if a question has Virtuous Ethics?
Original post by ElisabethX
I am so nervous for a question on sexual ethics as i don't know much about it. I feel i can easily apply ethical theories and make up examples of situations, but i was wondering how much actual knowledge about sexual ethics i need to include and i don't know much at all, especially Christian Ethics wise.
I have also revised Conscience, Meta-Ethics, Free Will & Determinism so i'm not sure if i'm safe against the evil questions they could ask

Sexual ethics would actually (hopefully) be quite nice! It really is all about application, and that means you can make stuff up (provided you understand the theories so that it makes sense). The key is to just have a good argument and pop in some scholars/quotes to make yourself seem clever.

Christianity on sexual ethics is not so bad - a lot of it goes along with Natural Law stuff (at least for Catholics) and then the rest is more about more liberal denominations like C of E who you can essentially just say are less strict. It all ties in with sex being for procreation, what God would want etc... Jesus generally accepted people/fought oppression, promoted love (but was vague on some issues) and the Old Testament was more condemning. But then the Bible can be criticised for being outdated and misinterpreted too. Just maybe find a basic quote of two to help you out (not vital but if it's easy to remember then it should be good).

The applied ethics questions are actually kind-of nice ones because they're about things you can easily have an opinion on. You equally can bring in lots of people in little depth, with maybe one or two as the central focus of the essay. They're easier to bull****, in other words.

If you know those topics you mentioned well, I think you'll be fairly safe, but I do recommend looking at Virtue as it seems to be a hot topic that is likely to come up this year!
Question: can they ask us about abortion specifically? Because a lot of the notes I've looked at and resources I'm using don't cover it? If so, I'll put something small together to say about it -- I mean you could still blag it with ethical theories as much of the same applies, but I'd rather be prepped!
Reply 1345
Does anyone know any strengths and weaknesses for any of the environmental applications/theories? In particular The Gaia Theory.
Original post by NerdFighteria
Question: can they ask us about abortion specifically? Because a lot of the notes I've looked at and resources I'm using don't cover it? If so, I'll put something small together to say about it -- I mean you could still blag it with ethical theories as much of the same applies, but I'd rather be prepped!

Abortion? Why do we need to know about abortion; spec only mentions pre-martial & extraparital, contraception and homosexuality? :confused:
Abortion? Why do we need to know about abortion; spec only mentions pre-martial & extraparital, contraception and homosexuality? :confused:

phew ok no ignore me, someone in my class was mentioning it! I was having a slight panic myself.
Original post by Danni2
Does anyone know any strengths and weaknesses for any of the environmental applications/theories? In particular The Gaia Theory.

Gaia Theory evaluation; I don't have much so I am also hoping someone else has something more to add;
:smile: Sees humans as one with creation, so perhaps more ecocentric than the other anthropocentric approaches (e.g. Shallow ecoclogy)
:mad: Goes against modern biology and Neo-Darwinians
:smile: In response to this there has been an adapted weaker version which still says everything has an inter-relationship but does not see the planet as a single body

Also have this for ethical approaches; not that great as I am not focusing on this topic as much as others but lots of evaluation :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Amberlake
I have hardly anything under my notes for ethical naturalism, can someone help me? Right, so I literally have a 3 line explanation of what it is then just moore's criticism of it? Am I meant to know more people on this ?

Sure can mate. It's a cognitive theory which states that ethical statements cab be verified or falsified just like non ethical statements e.g. "the dog is the garden" can be verified with evidence just like "murder is wrong" via looking at the consequences of murder. Bradly was a advocate of this and said that we discover are moral obligation from society, he said moral activity is finding out your position in society and carrying out your duty.

Moore criticized this saying that ethical naturalism breaks the naturalistic fallacy when moral statements can not be verified using empirical evidence.
Reply 1350
Ok so I've revised VE, conscience and nearly just about covered free will. Have determinism and sexual ethics to do. Will I be fine? As I don't think I've got enough time on my hands to revise the other topics? #Stressed.

any opinions?
Does anyone know if Kohlberg is on the syllabus/worth learning!? I only just found stuff about him on the internet and don't know whether its necessary???!!1
Original post by Naf13
Ok so I've revised VE, conscience and nearly just about covered free will. Have determinism and sexual ethics to do. Will I be fine? As I don't think I've got enough time on my hands to revise the other topics? #Stressed.

any opinions?

You will be fine. I keep saying this to others: as long as you revise 4 out of the 6 topics, you shall be fine. 2 topics may come up from the 2 you didn't revise, but then the other two will be from the ones you have revised.

However, that considered, perhaps go over the 2 topics... if you can be bothered. I know I'm not touching business/enviro and sexual ethics with a 10 ft pole, so I'm just sticking and to my topics and revising them religiously.. (pardon the really bad (intended) pun)
Reply 1353
Original post by Cool_JordH
You will be fine. I keep saying this to others: as long as you revise 4 out of the 6 topics, you shall be fine. 2 topics may come up from the 2 you didn't revise, but then the other two will be from the ones you have revised.

However, that considered, perhaps go over the 2 topics... if you can be bothered. I know I'm not touching business/enviro and sexual ethics with a 10 ft pole, so I'm just sticking and to my topics and revising them religiously.. (pardon the really bad (intended) pun)

LOOOL great pun :wink:. Yeah I may consider going over meta if i'm done with the others. Not sure :/

How's revision going for you? Covered everything?
What are you supposed to talk about if a question has Virtuous Ethics?

You can talk about Aristotle - he's got a lot of swag you can talk about, you can also evaluate him quite well.

Here's a summary of Aristotle.

- Goal of Eudaimonia, life long pursuit, basically means human happiness, flourishing ect. Aristotle claimed following the life od contemplation and theoretical wisdom is the greatest of human virtues and the highest form of happiness. Remember than Aristotle was sexist and only believed than Men could be virtuous though. Eudaimonia is the highest good, the best and happiest life according to Aristotle is living in a community respecting the interests of those around you and your own interests.

- Being part of a virtuous community. Aristotle concern was primarily the well being of the polis, the community which embraces all other communities; the state that is concerned with the common good. Virtue Ethics was mainly intended to privide a community in which citizens live meaningful social and political lives.

- The Golden mean, the mean point between the 2 vices. For Aristotle, virtues were found in the Golden Mean: the right balance between 2 extremes, each extreme was called a vice. The virtuous mean is not a mid point but a judgement point that depends on the situation. e.g the courage for a soldier is different to the courage needed to remove a spider from the bath. Aristotle claimed we needed to use reasoning, which he said was the quality which sets humans apart from animals. Human choices are based on phronesis (the practical reason which is used to make the right ethical decision)

- Developing virtues through habit (arete). Virtues need to be practiced until they become habit. Virutes of Aristotle are aretes, a skill in which one become excellence through practice.

- Following the examples of virtuous people. Aristotle also stated that we can become virtuous by following virtuous people, e.g. Gandhi and Ned Stark.

If you want me to sum up Modern V Ethics just say.
Ughhh I can't revise anymore! :no: I cannot wait for this to be over
Official predictions:

1. Freud and Conscience
2. Virtuous Ethics and Environmental Ethics
3. Apply an ethical theory to contraception
4. Virtue Ethics
5. Business Ethics and Conscience

My predictions:

1. Conscience
2. Virtue Ethics
3. Sexual Ethics
4. Business/Enviro

What I want:

1. Conscience
2. Free-will/Determinism
3. Virtuous Ethics
4. Meta-Ethics

I really dislike how the 2 sections I know best probably won't come up :frown:
Reply 1357
Ughhh I can't revise anymore! :no: I cannot wait for this to be over

Don't give up! you've just got less than a day left!
Soon it will be all over, then u can sleep, relax, partaay! :biggrin:

Give it all you have in these last few hours - You will be able to feel the satisfaction and contentment after - re-motivate yourself common :smile:
Original post by NickGreen
You can talk about Aristotle - he's got a lot of swag you can talk about, you can also evaluate him quite well.

Here's a summary of Aristotle.

- Goal of Eudaimonia, life long pursuit, basically means human happiness, flourishing ect. Aristotle claimed following the life od contemplation and theoretical wisdom is the greatest of human virtues and the highest form of happiness. Remember than Aristotle was sexist and only believed than Men could be virtuous though. Eudaimonia is the highest good, the best and happiest life according to Aristotle is living in a community respecting the interests of those around you and your own interests.

- Being part of a virtuous community. Aristotle concern was primarily the well being of the polis, the community which embraces all other communities; the state that is concerned with the common good. Virtue Ethics was mainly intended to privide a community in which citizens live meaningful social and political lives.

- The Golden mean, the mean point between the 2 vices. For Aristotle, virtues were found in the Golden Mean: the right balance between 2 extremes, each extreme was called a vice. The virtuous mean is not a mid point but a judgement point that depends on the situation. e.g the courage for a soldier is different to the courage needed to remove a spider from the bath. Aristotle claimed we needed to use reasoning, which he said was the quality which sets humans apart from animals. Human choices are based on phronesis (the practical reason which is used to make the right ethical decision)

- Developing virtues through habit (arete). Virtues need to be practiced until they become habit. Virutes of Aristotle are aretes, a skill in which one become excellence through practice.

- Following the examples of virtuous people. Aristotle also stated that we can become virtuous by following virtuous people, e.g. Gandhi and Ned Stark.

If you want me to sum up Modern V Ethics just say.

Yes please to you summing up Modern Virtue Ethics!!! Your Classical summary was great!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Was there an exam in January this year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending