The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mushi_master
Very pleased with my final SSC result (the Neuralgia thing), believe you saw the presentation so might like to know! :biggrin:

:eek: That was you?!

Well done though, it was a good piece of work. :smile:
Finding out my 4th year results next tuesday.

Can't believe I found the OSCE a doddle but found the written paper impossible. Usually it's the other way around :sigh:
Original post by Isometrix

Can't believe I found the OSCE a doddle but found the written paper impossible. Usually it's the other way around :sigh:

Good luck!
OK, this academic year is officially now taking the absolute piss. It's like they are actively trying to make us burn out...
Original post by Isometrix

You did your exams early! When you're getting your results I'll be half-way through my second written paper with the O.S.C.E. to go!

Original post by Beska
OK, this academic year is officially now taking the absolute piss. It's like they are actively trying to make us burn out...

You're not kidding. Feeling jaded as ****.
The more I dig into my neuro notes the more I'm finding this happen...

Screen shot 2014-06-18 at 20.24.06.png

Later is now today... ahhh
Reply 1826
Just found out that I get to go present my project on PET/CT scans on a poster at the European Association of Nuclear Medicine in Sweden in October! :biggrin: It's gonna be like a festival of geeks :ahee:
Original post by Tech
Just found out that I get to go present my project on PET/CT scans on a poster at the European Association of Nuclear Medicine in Sweden in October! :biggrin: It's gonna be like a festival of geeks :ahee:

****in' well played mate!
Original post by Sanjetti
Good luck!

Cheers mate :smile:

Original post by Kinkerz
You did your exams early! When you're getting your results I'll be half-way through my second written paper with the O.S.C.E. to go!

You're not kidding. Feeling jaded as ****.

Yeah man, even though we've finished they have set the re-sit date literally a week AFTER they give us results (so about two weeks from now). What's worse is for this year they have set the pass mark around 60%! So everyone's in a bit of dilemma, because the exams were so hard I don't think anyone is fully confident enough to say they've passed both. A lot of people have carried on revising tbh because there's not enough time to revise once we know if we have to do the re-sit. So I guess it's better to be prepared for the worst and there's no harm done if you don't have to do it. It's all a load of rubbish tbh, with the amount of **** they put us through this year that alone should merit a ****ing pass!!!

And I agree, 4th year is a bitch.
Original post by lcsurfer
The more I dig into my neuro notes the more I'm finding this happen...

Screen shot 2014-06-18 at 20.24.06.png

Later is now today... ahhh

I did most of my notes on paper and when revising would occasionally find lecture notes where I'd obviously been falling asleep, as my notes would change from the lecture to whatever I was daydreaming about "buy chicken"/"e-mail Katie" and then to scrawl. Not helpful.
Original post by Beska

Yeh toon 3rd year is really rough going.
Easily the worst year, even 5th year was much more laid back (apart from finals obviously).

Upside is your reward for getting through 3rd year is 4th year, which is awesome.
Panhypopituitarism for an endocrine station - glad I saw that one coming.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helenia
:eek: That was you?!

Well done though, it was a good piece of work. :smile:

It was indeed :biggrin: Nice cheeky bonus mark before finals results on Monday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hoonosewot
Upside is your reward for getting through 3rd year is 4th year, which is awesome.

So so so much time for 4th year. Once christmas is over, can't wait until SSCs, elective, intercalation. :biggrin:
Yeh toon 3rd year is really rough going.
Easily the worst year, even 5th year was much more laid back (apart from finals obviously).

All the 4th/5th years I've spoken to at my med school tell me that 3rd year is a breeze, and that 4th year is the worst and most stressful. People who are told they have to resit fourth year break down and cry.
Original post by navarre
All the 4th/5th years I've spoken to at my med school tell me that 3rd year is a breeze, and that 4th year is the worst and most stressful. People who are told they have to resit fourth year break down and cry.

Depends where you are really, different schools have different course layouts. The hard years in Newcastle are 3rd and 5th, they're all clinical and usually require you to be in hospital 9-5 most of the year. Plus in 5th you end up on night shifts and weekends as well.

3rd is a particular ballache because the first term is very intensive training in history and examination of all medical and surgical specialties, then second and third term stretch on right into July with specialty rotations. It's just a really really long year with almost no let up.

4th is great at Newcastle because you're back in lectures in first term, which after so many months in hospital is quite relaxing. Then after Christmas it's 18 weeks of doing whatever you fancy in 3 SSCs followed by a summer of elective. So you end up doing 8 or 9 months of whatever you want to do.
(edited 9 years ago)
Depends where you are really, different schools have different course layouts. The hard years in Newcastle are 3rd and 5th, they're all clinical and usually require you to be in hospital 9-5 most of the year. Plus in 5th you end up on night shifts and weekends as well.

3rd is a particular ballache because the first term is very intensive training in history and examination of all medical and surgical specialties, then second and third term stretch on right into July with specialty rotations. It's just a really really long year with almost no let up.

4th is great at Newcastle because you're back in lectures in first term, which after so many months in hospital is quite relaxing. Then after Christmas it's 18 weeks of doing whatever you fancy in 3 SSCs followed by a summer of elective. So you end up doing 8 or 9 months of whatever you want to do.

:coma:
Reply 1837
Original post by visesh
****in' well played mate!

Cheers :biggrin: Had a couple of failed research projects in the past so nice to finally have something to show.
Tomorrow is my last official day in hospital this academic year (I have one more week of community Paediatrics next week). SUCH a long year. Good, fun year on the whole though and bar my Ophthalmology week (and the gynae/ortho/neuro theatre lists I was subjected to observing), I've actually really, really enjoyed every other placement I've done this year.

Time to knuckle down with some book work though and some OSCE practice. 4th year, you will not break me (I hope).
Achieved a first in my IBSc! :biggrin:

Latest