The Student Room Group

biology phd interview presentation question

Hi,

I have an interview for a biology phd next week and have to do a 15 minute presentation on my third year dissertation. What is the usual structure for something like this - is it like the dissertation itself, with intro, methods, results and then discussion?

My third year dissertation is not really related to the phd itself

many thanks :smile:
Original post by biostudent1234
Hi,

I have an interview for a biology phd next week and have to do a 15 minute presentation on my third year dissertation. What is the usual structure for something like this - is it like the dissertation itself, with intro, methods, results and then discussion?

Yep, intro, methods, results and discussion :smile:

You may not be able to fit in everything you did during your diss, so maybe just focus on the main findings or the ones that most related to the phd :smile:
Original post by Ian80
Yep, intro, methods, results and discussion :smile:

You may not be able to fit in everything you did during your diss, so maybe just focus on the main findings or the ones that most related to the phd :smile:

thank you!

have you had an interview for a phd? if so how did it go? any tips? sorry for all the questions - this is my 1st phd interview and I really want it :smile:
Hi,

Yeah same as Ian80 I'd say, give a basic intro into your project, the aims and background. This followed by a brief methods section and then a results and discussions explanation at the end. At the end I would list potential future benefits of the research you done, and even mention some future experiment which could build on what you've done.

I would be very interested to know how this goes for you, I wish you the best of luck :h:
Original post by Eloades11
Yeah same as Ian80 I'd say, give a basic intro into your project, the aims and background. This followed by a brief methods section and then a results and discussions explanation at the end. At the end I would list potential future benefits of the research you done, and even mention some future experiment which could build on what you've done.

I would be very interested to know how this goes for you, I wish you the best of luck :h:

Thank you! I'll defo let you know.

I'm struggling a bit to fit everything in - do you know how much you are meant to put into the methods section?
thank you!

have you had an interview for a phd? if so how did it go? any tips? sorry for all the questions - this is my 1st phd interview and I really want it :smile:

I've had one PhD interview where I had to do a presentation, but that was on a paper they provided. But the paper carried out a lot of experiments so I only focused on what I thought was most relevant to the PhD and I also focused more on the methods because the PhD more about developing models.

The interview went amazing I thought and the interviewer even said it was really good and did sound genuinely sorry. I only missed out on it because the other candidate had more experience and had done his masters at that uni, possibly that lab, I don't remember. But I don't think I could have done anything differently during the interview :smile:

At the time I was upset but I have a great lab job now that also has the potential to lead straight on to a PhD so I guess everything works out in the end :smile:

I'm struggling a bit to fit everything in - do you know how much you are meant to put into the methods section?

I would try and keep it brief and small, maybe spend 2 minutes at most explaining the methods and how you performed them. This is so you can spend more time to focus on more important areas of your dissertation.

Just a brief overview :smile: I've always been advised to keep it to one slide!

What and where's the PhD? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending