The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zxh800
I did Labour. I took the paper as I didn't fancy the difficulty/workload of Paper 6 nor did I want to write long essays for development. Labour to me seemed a balance between the two and that's how I found it. There is the Horrell section of the paper where she looks at Women's participation in the Labour force, and she also has a bit on Pay and Performance ( think incentivising pay to induce higher effort). That section of the course is similar to her economic history course in Part IA, some theory mixed in with some empirics and case studies. The rest of the course is more microeconomics and a bit of econometrics. Microeconomics in the form of looking at an individual's labour/leisure choice. Econometrics when analysing an individual's education choices (how many years of education individuals take and what influences this). There's also micro in the form of international trade, we do the Hecksher-Ohlin model and there's a portion of the course on trade unions and their affects on the labour market (a more analytical approach rather than William Brown's essay approach).

Overall, I would say I probably would have found development more interesting but Labour wasn't too bad. It was moderately interesting. The workload was fairly light and the paper has some synergy with metrics and micro (trade models) which was quite helpful. I certainly don't regret taking Labour, I got what I wanted from taking it and that was a relatively easy ride.

In terms of negatives, supervisors can be of variable quality. The paper has changed a fair bit over the past few years, so past exam papers aren't always representative. As there are lot of different topics which piece together to make the course, there's no central text book (there's a different ones for the different parts of the course) and you'll be reliant on making good notes and attending lectures.

Thanks for the reply. My reasoning for picking labour is similar to yours - mostly I want a paper that is not entirely essay focused and also not too time consuming. Would you say having no specific interest in labour is a problem?

Also, after my results I feel like I should be going down the paper 6 route. Don't know how you did last year but generally would you say there is pressure for those with 'good' results to pick paper 6? (Sorry I realise this is a difficult question to answer)
Original post by amg_22
Thanks for the reply. My reasoning for picking labour is similar to yours - mostly I want a paper that is not entirely essay focused and also not too time consuming. Would you say having no specific interest in labour is a problem?

Also, after my results I feel like I should be going down the paper 6 route. Don't know how you did last year but generally would you say there is pressure for those with 'good' results to pick paper 6? (Sorry I realise this is a difficult question to answer)

I didn't have any specific interest in labour myself but found it reasonably interesting and not a major issue. For the exam, I ended up dropping the women's participation in the labour force section anyway (the bit I found relatively boring).

I'm afraid I won't be able to give a representative answer, my DoS is one of if not the most laissez-faire DoS in Cambridge. He may have briefly suggested taking paper 6 is good as it can help with 3rd year modules but when decision time came there were no suggestions or pressure. That being said, I did terribly in my maths paper in PartIA and the 1sts in Hist and Pol made my grade (a mid 2.1).
Original post by username42
Are there any colleges that have a particularly good reputation for economics? In terms of the quality of the supervisions or results?

I would say on the whole the colleges that admit more students for Economics tend to offer more, so Trinity, Johns, Caius maybe Clare and so on. At Caius we had good supervisions and quite a bit of support at exam time. But really most of the teaching is centralised and your college has more influence as a "boarding house" than a school. So I would go for location, architecture, size etc. All colleges are academic, all have good teaching, the differences between them are minor.
Original post by R2D2.
Is there any way to figure out which colleges will give me a fair chance at an interview? Or do I have to ask around? I wanted to apply to homerton as well. I liked the campus and the teachers there. Do you know whether your friend was asked to resit or make up for it with his Further Maths? I'm assuming the rest of his grades were almost 100% ums

Asking around I suppose is the only thing you can do. I myself only found out from my head of 6th form. I'm not sure if he was asked to resit. But, it would be a good idea anyhow as it makes meeting the offer easier. As for the rest of his grades, I can't remember. It wasn't quite 100s, I think he had really high UMS in Economics but I can't speak for his other subject.
Reply 2324
Original post by zxh800
Asking around I suppose is the only thing you can do. I myself only found out from my head of 6th form. I'm not sure if he was asked to resit. But, it would be a good idea anyhow as it makes meeting the offer easier. As for the rest of his grades, I can't remember. It wasn't quite 100s, I think he had really high UMS in Economics but I can't speak for his other subject.

thanks for the help!
Original post by FryingPan
Applying to St Johns for Econ - is there anything that the tutors prefer in terms of A level subjects or even extra-curricular activities? I've heard that each college can have certain preferences in these aspects of an application.

Also, at St Johns, when are TSA scores taken into account and what kind of important is placed on them? At the moment, all I know is that the TSA is taken on the day of the interview.

Definitely maths, probably more so than other colleges; as close to 100 UMS on Maths and Further Maths to maximise chances. 1 person in our year doesn't have Economics A-Level, but a large mix of other subjects so no major advantage IMO. John's has a reputation of getting in lots of sportspeople but I think that's less relevant now; anything to do with economics, politics or maths is useful.

TSA isn't that important I don't think, it's mainly used if you're borderline in competition with other similar candidates. Far, far more emphasis on your UMS scores.
Original post by ttankzhang
Definitely maths, probably more so than other colleges; as close to 100 UMS on Maths and Further Maths to maximise chances. 1 person in our year doesn't have Economics A-Level, but a large mix of other subjects so no major advantage IMO. John's has a reputation of getting in lots of sportspeople but I think that's less relevant now; anything to do with economics, politics or maths is useful.

TSA isn't that important I don't think, it's mainly used if you're borderline in competition with other similar candidates. Far, far more emphasis on your UMS scores.

Thank you!
Reply 2327
Original post by ttankzhang

I heard that the interview is less about reading around the syllabus but more to do with real life application of AS topics specially in recent news. Is this true?
Original post by R2D2.
I heard that the interview is less about reading around the syllabus but more to do with real life application of AS topics specially in recent news. Is this true?

In general I'd say definitely true, though the exact extent depends on your college. At my interview they gave out an article a few weeks before the interview about real-world economics and you had to analyse it, so I didn't really have a choice in the matter! Just spend a bit everyday reading the news and try to apply theory to it, it'll get you thinking in the right manner.
Reply 2329
Any recommended reads for uni guys? I have read The Communist Manifesto, Vol 1 of Das Kapital. Book I, II and V of Wealth of Nations and a Short introduction to game theory. I'm really looking for a game theory related book since I find it really interesting :smile: thanks
Original post by R2D2.
Any recommended reads for uni guys? I have read The Communist Manifesto, Vol 1 of Das Kapital. Book I, II and V of Wealth of Nations and a Short introduction to game theory. I'm really looking for a game theory related book since I find it really interesting :smile: thanks

At what stage? Are you starting in September/October? Generally I would advise to have a break rather than doing any pre-reading, but I do have a reading list somewhere of useful texts for first year (generally the texts you will be reading anyway).
Reply 2331
Original post by alex_hk90
At what stage? Are you starting in September/October? Generally I would advise to have a break rather than doing any pre-reading, but I do have a reading list somewhere of useful texts for first year (generally the texts you will be reading anyway).

yeah just finished year 12. I do AQA economics so a book that might help me in the exam as well would be nice. I really want an A* in econ next year :smile:
Hello everyone! My name is George and I am student from Romania. I've just received my examination results these days and I think I have the necessary grades to apply to Cambridge. I've emailed them and I am waiting for a reply. (I have done the Romanian Baccalaureate)

I need help with choosing a college. What do these types of assessment exactly mean?

-preparatory study at interview
-test at interview
-Mathematics test at interview
-written test at interview

If anyone could give me further information about Downing's Mathematics test at interview I would be very grateful. I think that my best types of assessment would be an open discussion at interview and a Maths test.

Thank you for your help!
[QUOTE="^ForTheDream^;48553954"]Hello everyone! My name is George and I am student from Romania. I've just received my examination results these days and I think I have the necessary grades to apply to Cambridge. I've emailed them and I am waiting for a reply. (I have done the Romanian Baccalaureate)

I need help with choosing a college. What do these types of assessment exactly mean?

-preparatory study at interview
-test at interview
-Mathematics test at interview
-written test at interview

If anyone could give me further information about Downing's Mathematics test at interview I would be very grateful. I think that my best types of assessment would be an open discussion at interview and a Maths test. [/FONT

Thank you for your help!

Prep study is maybe an article that they will present to you on the day, give you some time to digest it and then discuss it in interview. These are usually not very technical because of the fact that they have such an emphasis on not disadvantaging anyone without Economics A level - but be prepared to motivate and articulate your thoughts. The level of content seen on the economist would probably be of appropriate calibre. (Quite a few colleges do this, St John's, Kings, Trinity) ..although at St John's you are sent the article about a week beforehand.

Test at interview - well this is quite self explanatory, it can range from a maths test, to a critical thinking (TSA) style test. (St John's)

Maths test is usually calculus based - in all honesty, the first year economics maths is not too taxing in terms of mathematical insight required but the context in which it is used makes it quite difficult at times, so google maths applied to economics (with particular focus on A level methods) - I can't imagine it is very different. (Gonville and Cauis)

Written test at interview tends to be some essays / maths (Pembroke)

Also I had quite a lengthy discussion with my DoS on the subject of admissions and read through all the statistics of those admitted to St John's every year since 2006. It seems that, at St John's atleast, UMS marks play by far the largest part in the admissions process (and to be entirely honest the interview is nowhere near discriminating enough to warrant otherwise). I suspect, however, that as an international student the interview will play a larger part.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by alex_hk90
Well, I went before A*s existed so technically yes. :h:
(Sorry, not useful answer. :colondollar:)

Seriously though, if you're not at least capable of an A* in Maths then some of the maths and stats content in the Economics Tripos is going to be challenging to say the least. :sadnod:

How hard is the maths paper in Part IIA? I did quite well in Part I maths (76) but I've heard it really really steps up. I've heard labour is pretty relaxed which would invariably mean that I could have more time to do more extra-curricular stuff. Also maths seems to have almost double the lectures of the others!
Can anyone who's completed the tripos and did the 2A maths paper please tell me which optional modules they chose in 2B in how useful/necessary the maths paper was for them? :smile:
Original post by Extricated
How hard is the maths paper in Part IIA? I did quite well in Part I maths (76) but I've heard it really really steps up. I've heard labour is pretty relaxed which would invariably mean that I could have more time to do more extra-curricular stuff. Also maths seems to have almost double the lectures of the others!

It does step up quite a bit - you start having to do proofs and hence understanding how it all works rather than just applying it. And yes I did find that the amount of work (can't remember lecture time but supervision assignments for sure) was much higher than the other papers. But seeing as you got a solid 1st in Part I Paper 3 personally I would advise that you go for it; if you do understand it there's a good chance you'll get another solid 1st in it and there are significant positive externalities with taking Part IIA Paper 6 - stats for Econometrics and algebra for the models in both Micro and Macro.

To give you some reassurance:

Original post by amg_22
Can anyone who's completed the tripos and did the 2A maths paper please tell me which optional modules they chose in 2B in how useful/necessary the maths paper was for them? :smile:

I did Part IIA Paper 6 Maths and then chose Part IIB Paper 4 Economic Theory and Analysis and Part IIB Paper 10 Theory and Application of Econometrics II. It was essential for ETA (it would be a massive struggle to understand the proofs without having done IIA Paper 6) and very helpful for Econometrics II (in theory you might have been able to do it without, but it pretty much assumed stats knowledge from IIA Paper 6).

My general recommendation is that if you are comfortable with the Maths side then you should do Part IIA Paper 6 - yes it's harder conceptually and yes it's more work than the other papers, but provided you do 'get it': it's one of the easier papers to score highly (i.e. above 75); it helps with your other papers in Part IIA; it gives you more options in Part IIB.

Hope this helps. :smile:

I'd agree with everything Alex said. It might also be worth considering that you can get more easily get a high mark (high 70s or even 80+) than in other papers if you are very good indeed.

I don't know if the course has changed in this respect in the past few years but the positive externalities from Paper 6 seemed relatively small this year, though it's difficult to say exactly how small without having not taken it! For me, I felt that it didn't really help with that much of Paper 3 but that it did assist with negotiating some of the proof-like/algebra-heavy questions in Paper 1.
(edited 9 years ago)
Prep study is maybe an article that they will present to you on the day, give you some time to digest it and then discuss it in interview. These are usually not very technical because of the fact that they have such an emphasis on not disadvantaging anyone without Economics A level - but be prepared to motivate and articulate your thoughts. The level of content seen on the economist would probably be of appropriate calibre. (Quite a few colleges do this, St John's, Kings, Trinity) ..although at St John's you are sent the article about a week beforehand.

Test at interview - well this is quite self explanatory, it can range from a maths test, to a critical thinking (TSA) style test. (St John's)

Maths test is usually calculus based - in all honesty, the first year economics maths is not too taxing in terms of mathematical insight required but the context in which it is used makes it quite difficult at times, so google maths applied to economics (with particular focus on A level methods) - I can't imagine it is very different. (Gonville and Cauis)

Written test at interview tends to be some essays / maths (Pembroke)

Also I had quite a lengthy discussion with my DoS on the subject of admissions and read through all the statistics of those admitted to St John's every year since 2006. It seems that, at St John's atleast, UMS marks play by far the largest part in the admissions process (and to be entirely honest the interview is nowhere near discriminating enough to warrant otherwise). I suspect, however, that as an international student the interview will play a larger part.

I see, thank you! I have a couple of questions:

What is the UMS?
During the "test at interview" do you receive any help or guidance from the tutor, are you told when you make a mistake?
Are these modules okay.

Maths: C1 C2 M1 D1 C3 C4

FM: FP1 M2 S1 S2 FP2

I'm stuck on the 6th module I can choose which one I want.

I was thinking of doing FP3/D2/S3.

What would be the best module to pick - in terms of overlapping modules with the current ones that I am doing.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending