The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by C.Almasy
I am basically heavily considering Madcows. I like the fact that on deadlift day you have a lighter squat day.

Ahh I myself used to do squats and deads (a little) but stopped doing them a long time ago now so im nooby at those lol.

Currently focusing on other lifts and trying to put on as much muscle as I can and look good :biggrin:.
Decent enough session tonight.

Squats:

130 x 5/5/5

Not too bad. Low bar.

Hang power cleans:

80 x 3
85 x 1
87.5 x 1
90 x 1

Happy enough with this. Not done these for ages, so to do my bodyweight (probably a few kilos over it actually) is better than it could have been.

Pull ups:

bodyweight x 5/5/2

Last set, just never had much left.

Triceps push downs:

3 x 10

Then home.
Reply 1582
Original post by Smack

what's your current bodyweight?
Original post by a10
what's your current bodyweight?

Probably just under 90kg.
Reply 1584
Original post by Smack
Probably just under 90kg.

hmm im having a dilemma lately, at xmas i was about 67kg then i started to train properly round about march time and started eating a **** load of food hitting that calorie surplus, weighed myself about 3 months after and I was 77.8kg (lol) I have noticeably got some more muscle but i think i still look "skinny" (5ft 7.5 ish ,now weighing about 81kg) and tbh i don't feel that comfortable going over 81kg... and potentially reaching the 90's...

but its pissing me off because to add more muscle mass i gotta keep up the eating and training consistently (but this means adding more fat which will be hard to lose if i keep going)..
Original post by a10
hmm im having a dilemma lately, at xmas i was about 67kg then i started to train properly round about march time and started eating a **** load of food hitting that calorie surplus, weighed myself about 3 months after and I was 77.8kg (lol) I have noticeably got some more muscle but i think i still look "skinny" (5ft 7.5 ish ,now weighing about 81kg) and tbh i don't feel that comfortable going over 81kg... and potentially reaching the 90's...

but its pissing me off because to add more muscle mass i gotta keep up the eating and training consistently (but this means adding more fat which will be hard to lose if i keep going)..

Where's the dilemma here?
Reply 1586
Original post by Smack
Where's the dilemma here?

lol should i keep going and add more fat or stop and cut the fat then get lean..
Original post by a10
lol should i keep going and add more fat or stop and cut the fat then get lean..

are you making progress? If you are doesn't seem much point in cutting
Reply 1588
Original post by illusionz
are you making progress? If you are doesn't seem much point in cutting

yeah i am..my lifts are getting stronger and i seem to have gained a considerable amount of muscle than i had before but i don't feel comfortable with all the fat im gaining (caz i was a little lean before).
Original post by a10

Depends on what you want to do and how happy you feel with carrying a little bit of extra flab. I can't make that decision for you.
Original post by a10
yeah i am..my lifts are getting stronger and i seem to have gained a considerable amount of muscle than i had before but i don't feel comfortable with all the fat im gaining (caz i was a little lean before).

As smack said above, it depends how you feel.

Basically are you happy to be more fat in the short term to be bigger and stronger in the long term. Or do you care enough about your physique here and now to want to lose fat before bulking again?
Reply 1591
Original post by Smack
Depends on what you want to do and how happy you feel with carrying a little bit of extra flab. I can't make that decision for you.

hmm fair point, I reckon ill keep it up for the next 2 weeks then start cutting the fat off and see how I feel then.

Original post by illusionz
As smack said above, it depends how you feel.

Basically are you happy to be more fat in the short term to be bigger and stronger in the long term. Or do you care enough about your physique here and now to want to lose fat before bulking again?

I would say I'm more worried about my physique atm, as said above i'll keep up the high calorie intake till the beginning of August and start cutting from then (have been bulking for almost 5 months).
Original post by a10
I would say I'm more worried about my physique atm, as said above i'll keep up the high calorie intake till the beginning of August and start cutting from then (have been bulking for almost 5 months).

That's fair enough. It's your body, if you don't want to carry excess fat now then don't feel you need to.

Sorry smack for derailing thread :biggrin:
Reply 1593
thanks guys :smile:
Decent enough session this afternoon, which was surprising as I've not eaten much today so far. Nice and quick.

Press:

62 x 6/6/6

Not too bad.

Deadlifts:

160 x 5

Easy enough. First few reps were double overhand but that was failing so switched to hook grip for the last two.

Also, when I put my MP3 player away to deadlift (I put it away because the bar might damage it when I'm sliding it up my thighs), when I removed my earphones I discovered that the same song was playing on the gym's music system that I was listening to.

Some quite stretching then home.
Reply 1595
Original post by Smack

Press:

62 x 6/6/6

Not too bad.

nice press, do you do these standing or sitting down on a bench?
Original post by a10
nice press, do you do these standing or sitting down on a bench?

Standing.
Bad session tonight.

Squats:

130 x 2

Back just wasn't feeling these. Has been tight for a few days now.

Bench press:

82.5 x 1/1

Just wasn't feeling these at all.

Deadlifts:

165 x 5

Much harder than last time.

Then home.
Bad session this afternoon.

Front squats:

110 x 1

Just never felt right.

Press:

64 x 2/4/3

Then home.
Average session tonight.

Squats:

130 x 5

High bar. Not too difficult at all. But kept it easy so I'm not too sore tomorrow.

Hang cleans:

90 x 1/1

Was very sleepy, never felt like I had much energy, so wasn't particularly explosive and catching them too low.

Chins:

bodyweight x 6/6/6

Then home.

Quick Reply

Latest