The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zenomorph
Do you admit you are a drama queen?

Yes I do, because I proclaimed loudly that I would put you on my ignore list, and then continue to engage with you, oh wait....
Reply 4861
Original post by QuantumOverlord
So you admit you are just a drama queen?

Please rate some other members before rating this member again.
Where does the University of Bristol lie for Civil Engineering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you admit you are a BS artist as well?
Original post by Zenomorph
Do you admit you are a BS artist as well?

That's your job, you love nothing more than to call various universities (especially manchester) BS.

You don't need a thread, you need an echo chamber.
Original post by CivilEngAsp101
Where does the University of Bristol lie for Civil Engineering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just google it. From the top of my head it would be Cambridge, IC and Bath. Bristol would be around 5-10th.
I thought I'd look up the table for my own subject, chemistry.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/03/university-guide-2015-league-table-for-chemistry

Heriot-Watt is obviously top.... I'm surprised UCL is so high, hitting in at 28...
Original post by eggfriedrice
Just google it. From the top of my head it would be Cambridge, IC and Bath. Bristol would be around 5-10th.

Don't really thing the tables are reliable as the international ranks portrayed a different story in comparison to the UK ones. Chose Bristol over Bath in the end, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't really thing the tables are reliable as the international ranks portrayed a different story in comparison to the UK ones. Chose Bristol over Bath in the end, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. Bare in mind Bath is a very young university compared to Bristol so it has had many, many years to build an international reputation. If you've notice, pretty much every young university ranks poorly in the international rankings, that's one of the flaws I find in those rankings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eggfriedrice
Fair enough. Bare in mind Bath is a very young university compared to Bristol so it has had many, many years to build an international reputation. If you've notice, pretty much every young university ranks poorly in the international rankings, that's one of the flaws I find in those rankings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only place where Bristol scored extremely poorly was 'Student Satisfaction'. Plus, I really liked the Civil Engineering infrastructure at Bristol(The Earthquake table, BLADE Research). So....
The only place where Bristol scored extremely poorly was 'Student Satisfaction'. Plus, I really liked the Civil Engineering infrastructure at Bristol(The Earthquake table, BLADE Research). So....

I'm not saying your decision for Bristol is incorrect, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and have a great time regardless. The research facilities in universities are mostly not even touched by undergraduates, they're for PHD students. Universities like to show off these massive research equipment to prospective students (which I find is a bit misleading). But if you're interested in those field of studies then of course you could continue and do a PHD if academic civil engineering is your passion.
I think there should be a league table of league table compilers.
Original post by barnetlad
I think there should be a league table of league table compilers.

There is, I make them.
Is city london university any good for economics ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QuantumOverlord
There is, I make them.

Overlord - how would your table look if weighted 2:1 in favour of domestic league tables - how would the table look then - just interested
thanks
Original post by Yorkie Monster
Overlord - how would your table look if weighted 2:1 in favour of domestic league tables - how would the table look then - just interested
thanks

vis a vis the top 10:

These universities would probably be unaffected:

Oxford, Cambridge, ICL

These universities would benefit:

LSE, St Andrews, Durham, Warwick

These universities would be worse off:

UCL, Edinburgh, Bristol

So the top three would definitely be unchanged, UCL might loose 4th, Edinburgh and Bristol might be forced off the top 10 entirely, and the others would probably be mixed up somewhat. If Bristol and Edinburgh did fall off, the most likely ones to replace them would be Bath and Exeter.

Bear in mind that the rankings already give more weight to each individual domestic table because there are more international tables.
(edited 9 years ago)
Is city london university a top tier uni ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by akshay118
Is city london university a top tier uni ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

For which subject?

I suspect very much that, if by "top tier uni" you mean hot on the heels of Oxbridge and the like, the answer is no. :no:
For economics, is it a uni where after graduating you could get a job in economics ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by akshay118
For economics, is it a uni where after graduating you could get a job in economics ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt there are many (or even any) jobs you could get just from "graduating from a uni". Its more than just the university you come from, though the importance varies for each industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending