The Student Room Group
Campus
University of Wales Trinity Saint David

UWTSD: Lampeter 2014!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pank88
Hey, welcome to the page :smile: Yep there will be a Freshers week, last year was pretty decent...from what I remember we had 'Freshbook' night and the UV Paint Party...there was something on every night but cant remember now what they were haha, but am guessing a themed costume night was somewhere in there.

You know, for such a small place, it seems like an awful lot happens, which is great. Good things come in small packages. :biggrin:
Campus
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Reply 41
Original post by Hachik0
You know, for such a small place, it seems like an awful lot happens, which is great. Good things come in small packages. :biggrin:

Haha spot on right there! Small place but its deceptively lively, always something going on. But when it is quiet, someones always making something happen to break the monotony.
I have just received an email to say that Lampeter have received my application for accommodation. Looks like all applicants won't hear anything else until July where we will then receive our allocation letters. =D

Thought i would keep you all posted =)
Hi! I know I commented a couple of weeks back but I was just wondering what people would recommend you bring to uni. Sorry if that's worded funny and it's a daft question but I'm going to be really far from home ad I don't want to corm unprepared! Any help would be welcomed. Thank you :smile:
*and
**come
(the comment system won't let me change my mistakes!)
Reply 44
Original post by AmyLou53
Hi! I know I commented a couple of weeks back but I was just wondering what people would recommend you bring to uni. Sorry if that's worded funny and it's a daft question but I'm going to be really far from home ad I don't want to corm unprepared! Any help would be welcomed. Thank you :smile:
*and
**come

Hey, well first of all you will be provided with a mattress but you need to bring your own pillows, also bedding (obviously)

Toiletries, even if you are sharing a bathroom.

Bring your own plates, pans and cutlery.

Normally a flat will have its own hoover so don't worry about that, even if you get there and find that you want your own hoover there is a shop just off campus that sells hoovers and even toasters etc.

If you got a lot of books that you think will be useful in uni then just bring it all! there is room underneath your bed to put storage boxes if you don't have room for all of them on your desk.

When you get your key to your dorm you will also get an ethernet cable for the internet and the password will be with it.

That's kinda covering the basics I think :tongue:
Reply 45
Original post by AmyLou53
*and
**come

Tom has covered it pretty much. Only thing I can think of aside from that is the usual 'bring pens and stationery and stuff'. But thats each to their own really, I brought a load of ring binders, sticky notes etc and barely touched them.
Other than that, a basic desk lamp wouldnt go amiss in a non en-suite room as just has the main light and sink light. Don't think they had those in en-suite either....but cant remember, Tom did I see one in yours?
If you don't mind me asking, how easy was it to make friends? I guess its a question everybody asks themselves when they become a part of a totally new environment. What were things like in your first week at Lampeter?
Reply 47
Original post by Pank88
Tom has covered it pretty much. Only thing I can think of aside from that is the usual 'bring pens and stationery and stuff'. But thats each to their own really, I brought a load of ring binders, sticky notes etc and barely touched them.
Other than that, a basic desk lamp wouldnt go amiss in a non en-suite room as just has the main light and sink light. Don't think they had those in en-suite either....but cant remember, Tom did I see one in yours?

In my en-suite I only had the main light and a bathroom light, didn't have a sink light :/
haha the problem with the bathroom light is when you have it on for a few minutes and turn it off then turn it on again you'll have to wait around 10 mins for it to come back on :P
Reply 48
Original post by Hachik0
If you don't mind me asking, how easy was it to make friends? I guess its a question everybody asks themselves when they become a part of a totally new environment. What were things like in your first week at Lampeter?

I was thinking the same thing because I am an introverted person. But really it is very easy to make friends I think, even from day 1 all the lads in my flat got together and played a board game and just had a laugh, I think if you just be yourself you will make plenty of friends :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by Hachik0

I think as everyone is in the same position it just sort of happens naturally that you get talking to people, both in your hall and down at the Students Union, just as Tom mentioned.

For me, I got talking to people early on in my hall as is pretty the first point of call.... also a few who had got talking to on here this time last year made a point of having a get together too which helped break ice. After that though, freshers week (Its actually 2 weeks) meant meeting everyone from across the years and making more friends in different circles.

Can honestly say Ive made some amazing friends whilst here. Kinda changes over the year I guess.... the more you branch out and join the societies and clubs that interest you the more you'll meet those with similar interests etc. Whether that be LARP, Archaeology Society, Badminton, Rugby, TableTop Games, Video Games.... the list goes on. So even if more introverted theres always something for everyone....if not... then can create a society.
Ok. Thank you for the advice everyone :smile: looking forward to coming in September but nervous!
Hi all, I've already been through the whole moving away from home thing, I started my first year in Uni last September at UWTSD but am transferring up to Lampeter for Creative Writing and English to start the first year again! If anyone wants any advice or support about the whole moving away from home... my home was in Plymouth, I moved almost 200 miles away from my family so I have been through it all and know how you're feeling! However I must say, I am really nervous because I'll be doing the whole not knowing anyone thing again and I am quite shy and nervous at first... so yeah thats me :smile:
Hey all, I'm going to be a second year in sept. - my course is ancient civilisations :biggrin: Saw another one of you out there :biggrin:D

As to the what do I bring q.- the kitchens have fridge/freezers microwaves but no kettles, or any other appliances :smile: your room has a desk chair, bookshelves, clothes cupboard and bed, i highly recommend buying a beanbag or several cushions to liven it up and make the room comfy!

I bought an overdoor hook thing to hang up coats too- super useful in rainy wales- wellies are pretty much a must in sept-dec.!!
feel free to pm me with any other questions :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there, I'm hoping to do Ancient Civilisations this september as well! It's been 5 years since I finished college so I'm slightly nervous about re-starting education again. But I feel like Lampeter is a very friendly place and definitely looking forward to the new transition. :smile:
Also I just wanted to say thanks for listing the things to bring, as sometimes you forget even the most basic of things are important for a comfortable move.
Reply 54
Original post by PurpleJack24
Hi there, I'm hoping to do Ancient Civilisations this september as well! It's been 5 years since I finished college so I'm slightly nervous about re-starting education again. But I feel like Lampeter is a very friendly place and definitely looking forward to the new transition. :smile:
Also I just wanted to say thanks for listing the things to bring, as sometimes you forget even the most basic of things are important for a comfortable move.

Hey there :smile:

Can definitely vouch that Lampeter is a friendly place and an ideal environment to return to education after a gap. I started last year at 25 and do not feel out of place in the slightest.
Will likely be in one of your 2nd semester modules as have to take it this year.
If there is anything you want to ask then feel free, theres at least a few current/former students on here so all more than happy to help.
Also if anyone has any questions about where they've been allocated for halls accomodation (As know many asked last year, including myself) then by all means ask too :smile:

Congrats on getting a place
Original post by Pank88
Hey there :smile:

Can definitely vouch that Lampeter is a friendly place and an ideal environment to return to education after a gap. I started last year at 25 and do not feel out of place in the slightest.
Will likely be in one of your 2nd semester modules as have to take it this year.
If there is anything you want to ask then feel free, theres at least a few current/former students on here so all more than happy to help.
Also if anyone has any questions about where they've been allocated for halls accomodation (As know many asked last year, including myself) then by all means ask too :smile:

Congrats on getting a place

I am still waiting to hear about accommodation. I have sent my application.

Whats the mixture of students like. You can normally find that kind of stuff out at WhichUni but i think i remember no results being showed, i may be wrong however :biggrin:
Reply 56
Original post by Hachik0
I am still waiting to hear about accommodation. I have sent my application.

Whats the mixture of students like. You can normally find that kind of stuff out at WhichUni but i think i remember no results being showed, i may be wrong however :biggrin:

Ah fair enough then, am sure will hear back in good time :smile:

Am not sure what to post on the mixture as such as not sure what WhichUni would say but will give it a go haha.

It is quite an eclectic mix, age ranging from 18-60 or so. From those being straight out of college, those who have been in the military or just taken a break and worked to those who have had careers and are now coming back to do something different in later years. Within that too it is quite a mix of people, the sporting types to the more academic or introverted. The wide range in societies within the University reflects this, where in some Universities perhaps the football team or other society is the most seen it is (arguably) the LARP society which dominates the campus scene, and is quite fun I must say...even when being woken up to various LARP battles outside my window haha. Either way it is just such a relaxed atmosphere, and given its small size it is possible to get to know most people even if just in passing.
Am sure some of the others could say the same regarding the wide mix on campus and general calm atmosphere.
Original post by Pank88
Ah fair enough then, am sure will hear back in good time :smile:

Am not sure what to post on the mixture as such as not sure what WhichUni would say but will give it a go haha.

It is quite an eclectic mix, age ranging from 18-60 or so. From those being straight out of college, those who have been in the military or just taken a break and worked to those who have had careers and are now coming back to do something different in later years. Within that too it is quite a mix of people, the sporting types to the more academic or introverted. The wide range in societies within the University reflects this, where in some Universities perhaps the football team or other society is the most seen it is (arguably) the LARP society which dominates the campus scene, and is quite fun I must say...even when being woken up to various LARP battles outside my window haha. Either way it is just such a relaxed atmosphere, and given its small size it is possible to get to know most people even if just in passing.
Am sure some of the others could say the same regarding the wide mix on campus and general calm atmosphere.

Sounds great! It wont be a problem at Lampeter but i was amazed hearing from some students from other universities that some couldn't even fit into the same room and they would have to sit in a different room and take notes via a video link.

Obviously i'm sure some people don't have a problem with that, but its not for me. That was one of the things which appealed to me when visiting Lampeter.
Reply 58
Original post by Hachik0
Sounds great! It wont be a problem at Lampeter but i was amazed hearing from some students from other universities that some couldn't even fit into the same room and they would have to sit in a different room and take notes via a video link.

Obviously i'm sure some people don't have a problem with that, but its not for me. That was one of the things which appealed to me when visiting Lampeter.

Wow I hadn't heard of that happening before. But yes definitely won't have that problem in Lampeter. Some modules, especially later on are quite small in class-size in comparison to others, plus is also good that can build a decent rapport with lecturers due to the small size too.
Original post by Pank88
Wow I hadn't heard of that happening before. But yes definitely won't have that problem in Lampeter. Some modules, especially later on are quite small in class-size in comparison to others, plus is also good that can build a decent rapport with lecturers due to the small size too.

Do lectures, on average, start with a bigger number of people and then gradually get smaller? What were your experiences?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending