The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

An honest review of Storthes Hall

Hello everyone,

Firstly congratulations if you've made your choice at Huddersfield University :smile:

I'm currently a first year student who chose Storthes Hall for accommodation. I am going to share my thoughts for anyone who's considering moving in here.

Quality of flats: My bedroom and flat are both in good condition and have everything you would expect. The internet speeds are very good and rarely down. The rooms are spacious and the kitchen is well equipped. Go to an open day to see what to expect, they're nearly all identical!

Noise: If you are like me and like peace and quiet, Storthes may not be good choice. The noise levels can be very high here and I am in one of the quieter blocks! I have been woken up several times so far by people going past the window shouting/screaming, people knocking on my door, people playing football outside at 4am, and many more alcohol-fuelled disturbances. If you're a big drinker/socialite you'll love it, but if you're a quieter person like myself I'd think twice. Security are available by phone if things get too bad, but people may know it was you and things may in fact get worse!

Buses: I find them slightly annoying now! They are usually on time and get you to/from uni within 30 mins, but catching the same bus every day for the smallest things becomes tedious. They are however reliable, and are an obvious part of the package so I shouldn't complain!

Night-life: I'm not the right person to ask, judging by how popular the bar is and the frequency of people coming back from it I would say it's very good! If you want to know about this, ask someone else! :wink:

Staff: They are generally useful people and will get things done in good time. Moving in was a breeze and security is available by phone if you do have any problems.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Scroll to see replies

Good review. I think Storthes is for young party animals and socialites who are eager to get away from their parents rather than people maybe over 23 who like more chilled out environments and want are more focussed on studying hard.
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 2
It is really good, I came to Huddersfield without viewing any accomadation and just picked pot luck, deffinatly picked the best, its like a little community. the other accomadations are boring filled with slightly older people, so if you are slightly older then they may be for you. My first year was the best of my life at storthes, and of course theres bits to complain about but arnt there everywhere? deffinatly pick it, i have made the best friends and had the best time just because you are all so close to each other...if hasnt been the same 2nd or 3rd year as everyone has moved aweay from each other.
Reply 3
I would like to ask if it's possible to invite a friend there to stay in ur room for a few days and if they have to pay for that :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by sisi1992
I would like to ask if it's possible to invite a friend there to stay in ur room for a few days and if they have to pay for that :smile:

This is absolutely fine - as long as you're not charging them and it's not full time this is allowed.

You are supposed to let reception know.. somehow I doubt anyone does that! :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by jblackmoustache
Good review. I think Storthes is for young party animals and socialites who are eager to get away from their parents rather than people maybe over 23 who like more chilled out environments and want are more focussed on studying hard.

I agree. If I could go back in time I would have chosen somewhere else due to my quiet nature, but I'm sure it's the best option for those party animals you mentioned.
Reply 6
Please, can somebody tell me whether to choose Storthes Hall or Ashenhurst or something else? I decided to apply fo Storthes Hall according to what I've read about it but now I'm not sure about my choice as it's far from the Uni. I wanna make a lot of friends and meet new people so which is the best place in your opinion?
Reply 7
Original post by sisi1992
Please, can somebody tell me whether to choose Storthes Hall or Ashenhurst or something else? I decided to apply fo Storthes Hall according to what I've read about it but now I'm not sure about my choice as it's far from the Uni. I wanna make a lot of friends and meet new people so which is the best place in your opinion?

Storthes Hall has the bus service so i wouldn't worry too much about the distance. This is the preferred provider of accomodation too so most first years should be going... I am anyway ;D
Reply 8
Quality- Rather good and has all the space you need

Noise- Cant remember all the times I have been woken by drunken screaming people at three in the morning but dosent keep me up for long. My flatmates are sometimes some of those people making the noise. I don't get annoyed by the noise because I know its best to just accept that it's gunna happen no matter what.

Buses- Not an expert on the morning buses as most of my classes have been in the afternoon but the odd times that I did get a morning bus, the queue was always a mile long but sometimes the buses can be good but they can also be a pain in the backside for time keeping. If you buy a pass for a tenner at start of year then it can save alot of money for travel so there is a good side to it.

Nightlife- Unless something is on at the D Bar, it is usually dead. Trust me, I've had a meal with my girlfriend there on a saturday night and nooone was there and other occasions as well. But there is a lot of flat parties going on which can be fun...if you enjoy that sort of thing. Whenever somethings on then it gets packed and it can be a good night, I remember all the times my flatmates carried me back because I couldnt walk anymore.

Staff- Generally nice but watch out for guy in Londis can give quite a mean scowl if your only person in shop....makes you wonder why he works there in first place
Reply 9
i have just finished my first year of university and i stayed at storthes hall. i would warn anyone away from staying here.
the staff here are useless and say they will do things but only put it off until you kick up a fuss. i went 2 weeks with a cold shower, i then had green water for 2 days. after having my flat trashed the security came and told me that since it was my flat i would have to clean up the mess for myself and pay for the damages.

after moving out they the proceed to charge you for anything which they can away with.

never been so discussed with the service.
Hi
Thanks for the review this helped a lot, just wanted to ask i'm thinking of going to Huddersfield for uni I am a Muslim women would prefer a more quite place not to many noise disturbance and would like advice for the best place to live while studying there any recommendations.

Reply 11
Hi,

Thanks for the reviews (old and new). I've got an unconditional offer for a Masters course - after reading some things, I'm not so sure about Storthes Hall now.

Does anyone know if there are any independent renting opportunities for students?
Reply 12
Original post by ams90
It is really good, I came to Huddersfield without viewing any accomadation and just picked pot luck, deffinatly picked the best, its like a little community. the other accomadations are boring filled with slightly older people, so if you are slightly older then they may be for you. My first year was the best of my life at storthes, and of course theres bits to complain about but arnt there everywhere? deffinatly pick it, i have made the best friends and had the best time just because you are all so close to each other...if hasnt been the same 2nd or 3rd year as everyone has moved aweay from each other.

This may be a promotional review by Digs solicitors they are called AMS? Never pick Storthes or other accomodation without viewing read reviews and do not be misled, allow for getting up earlier each day to shake off your hangovers for your 30 min bus ride and dont throw up on the bus its not pleasant for others. I am not sure how other accomodation is full of older people students are natuarly young. the accomodation in town is better for the young as its near to nightlife and not limited to one boring on site bar.
Reply 13
Original post by Sez_Sa
Hi,

Thanks for the reviews (old and new). I've got an unconditional offer for a Masters course - after reading some things, I'm not so sure about Storthes Hall now.

Does anyone know if there are any independent renting opportunities for students?

You could try a letting agent Let2 are ok and possible find someone decent to share with, the cost of a house is about the same as staying at Storthes just the elec/gas broadband no tax bill as students are exempt
Reply 14
I left there yesterday and I've never been happier. Dirty floors, needles and rats on premises, the walls and stair well looks like you're going up to a drug den. My carpet was ridiculously filthy and even the Hoover couldn't fix it, which they also said we stole the filter from (because everyone loves to do that!!) there is no sitting room, it's very loud. No lift so if you're on the top floor like I was you're screwed. Always so loud and nobody cares. Fire alarms go off just by spraying deodrant. Bed was just one giant uncomfortable spring. I had stains on my notice boards, the bed side drawers were broken. My light was like a strobe. Tiny bathroom, shower burns you, it's just a wet room basically which always floods. my toilet was stained yellow. Cookers were slow and bad, two tiny freezers for 8 people. One broke, didn't get a replacement for ages. None of the staff at reveption care, I got burnt from a cup of hot chocolate a woman passed to me a spilt in a cup, I tried to warn others but I just got abuse and even the lady on campus said: wow can't give anything away for free!!! the londis shop is bloody expensive to say we're student!! cash machine charges you 1.85, you kidding right?! the chair in your room is so uncomfortable, the wifi is worst I've ever used. At one point in summer my radiator wouldn't turn off! Door was hard to lock. The noise there is unreal!!! The water for weeks was also YELLOW!! couldn't drink or wash for days and they gave you a bottle of water from reception.. wow!
They make you pay 1,333 a term for not even your basic human rights. I was there for one week of my third term as I finish my course so I've just paid almost a grand and a half for a week at that grot hole. Avoid!! go to castings
Reply 15
Original post by Sez_Sa
Hi,

There are several student accommodations around the uni. We've looked at Snow Island, Saw Mill, Aspley House/Little Aspley and The Castings. All these are lovely but my daughter chose The Castings in the end. She liked Saw Mill but the flat sizes (as in people sharing) was quite large (9/10 sharing) and she's kind of quiet. Aspley was nice with gym and cinema but we didn't think it warranted an extra £60 a month so in the end chose The Castings (5/6 roomed flats) If you can, you're better viewing. Both Ashenhurst and Storthes were too far from the uni and town. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 16
Thanks for those replies :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Sez_Sa
Thanks for those replies :smile:

There are also lots of private rented houses around the town and uni. Certainly a cheaper option for 2nd/3rd once you've got a nice group of friends you can share with :biggrin: You'd have to weigh up whether significantly cheaper than student accommodation as I believe they are based on 52 week contracts as opposed to 44, and maybe hidden costs, ie. Council tax, TV license, water rates etc. good luck though :smile:
Original post by Shazzer
Aspley was nice with gym and cinema but we didn't think it warranted an extra £60 a month

Hey Shazzer, glad to hear that you liked Aspley & Little Aspley! Could I ask what room you were both looking at with us?

Even though your daughter won't be staying with us, I hope she has a fantastic year. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Prodigy Living
Hey Shazzer, glad to hear that you liked Aspley & Little Aspley! Could I ask what room you were both looking at with us?

Even though your daughter won't be staying with us, I hope she has a fantastic year. :smile:

We looked at a Silver refurbished one I think, was a while ago and thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest