The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Any tips on how to speed up during QR? I'm always massively behind on time in this section. Also are there any ways to remember general set rules in AR? Help would be appreciated - my UKCAT's on the 12th!
So they have a bank of 3 question sets?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lamyers1
Probably, there will obviously be people scoring significantly better (there always are), but it is still competitive.

And I'd watch out with your SJT score. Some universities use that as part of their application (like Leicester uni use it as a virtual mini interview station), so you may want to consider that.

Thanks for the reply, I won't be applying to any Unis that look at SJT scores, there's only about 3 in the UK that do.

Can you recommend any Unis that I could apply to with my UKCAT score?
Original post by WannabeDoctor03
Thanks for the reply, I won't be applying to any Unis that look at SJT scores, there's only about 3 in the UK that do.

Can you recommend any Unis that I could apply to with my UKCAT score?

Sounds good. :smile:

I'd say Bristol and Sheffield definitely.

Maybe not Cardiff because they seem to focus strongly on UKCAT score before they've even read your ps.

And if you apply to Bristol, they focus very heavily on your ps and you really need to write about outside interests, like sports or clubs you've been a part of (not related to medicine).
AR was quite hard, there seemed to multiple rules and with DA there were so many options that were too similar to differentiate from.

Was QR having too many graphs n all?

Thanks for d advice!!!
Sounds good. :smile:

I'd say Bristol and Sheffield definitely.

Maybe not Cardiff because they seem to focus strongly on UKCAT score before they've even read your ps.

And if you apply to Bristol, they focus very heavily on your ps and you really need to write about outside interests, like sports or clubs you've been a part of (not related to medicine).

Cardiff only use the UKCAT in borderline cases unless they've changed it since the last open day?? :smile:
Original post by arbucks
Kaplan "Score Higher on the UKCAT" - 2014

VERSUS

ISC 600Q UKCAT

???
:smile:

I prefer the Kaplan one as it had the SJT section in it. The ISC one is really good but outdated as it doesn't have new style VR or SJT. Good for practice though, especially with AR!
They're hard but so good. I've done the UKCAT twice, the first time I got about 620, but retook it using the book and got nearly 800.

Wow well done, that's amazing! I'll definitely have to make sure I use the book.
Original post by Pennyarcade
Please please dont apply to a uni because of its ranking. For Medicine, the university you attended does not matter - they are all exceptional.

agreed!
Hey does anyone know the 2014 UKCAT cut-off for Bart's and the London Medical School? I can't seem to find it on their website.

Thanks
Reply 1430
Some guy applying for Engineering has voted for the >800 option. Interesting!
Hey guys,

I just sat my UKCAT (this morning),
Here's a breakdown of my scores:

VR: 640
QR: 760
AR: 760
DA: 660

Total: 2820
Average 705
SJT Band 3

Generally, pretty pleased. (No one gives a cr*p about SJT)
I know 705 is a good score, but is it still a competitive score like it used to be, especially after last year's increased UKCAT scores?
Although, I have noticed that people aren't doing as well as they did last year in regards to the UKCAT.

Basically, is 705 classed as a good score? Enough to be competitive?

Cheers

it seems like a good score to me :smile:
With VR what resources did you find the most similar to the actual thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arbucks
Dreading this time in 22 days!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha Same here! My exam is in 22 days as well! I was just curious, how many questions do you do per day? All my friends say they do around 50-60 and i did 141 today but i still have the feeling that I am not working hard enough! Pretty scared about QR and that apparently the AR questions on medify arent as difficult.
Original post by Anonymous97
Haha Same here! My exam is in 22 days as well! I was just curious, how many questions do you do per day? All my friends say they do around 50-60 and i did 141 today but i still have the feeling that I am not working hard enough! Pretty scared about QR and that apparently the AR questions on medify arent as difficult.

Where are you getting them all from?
My UKCAT is about a month away (26th Aug) and since we broke up from school I've been doing a a couple of questions from each section from the 600Q book (so that's a page of questions for each section)...I'm going to get a month of medify and will start more intense practise from august.
I'm getting just over half the questions right so far...but am aim for 700+.
Will this be enough?

Thanks
and Good Luck! :smile:
Original post by Pennyarcade
Where are you getting them all from?

Oh a bunch of resources: Medify, Kaplan Understanding test day book and 600 UKCAT qs book
Reply 1436
As above poster said don't apply to Leicester or Newcastle .. I wanted to last year with 677.5 and didn't Newcastle cause I knew it wasn't worth it.. Leicester I got 57/60 and 58 was needed for interview ... The ukcat was what loss me the 3 points. Apparently though it's changing so it's more ukcat heavy so avoid that.

Sheffield last year asked for a minimum of 650 and as long as you meet the as and gcse cut offs which are on their website it comes down to your Ps . I got an interview, so check the website and you should apply there if you wanted to :smile: good luck and well done for surviving the ukcat
Original post by OnionRing
If you have time to kill and money then I say go for it! Especially since you're a graduate because you really need a high UKCAT score750+

Ah brilliant, thanks! I've got a job at the moment to save up for Grad med tuition so the practice is keeping me occupied :biggrin: Thanks!
I'd avoid nottingham too. The ukcat makes up 48% of their scoring system, well it did last year. Look at places like Liverpool/ Lancaster and UEA. I'd avoid Newcastle/ Durham, kings, Leicester, Manchester, nottingham, I think Plymouth / Exeter (not sure) and Edinburgh.
You should get an interview at st George's. Last year I had a similar ukcat total (slightly different section scores) and you have better GCSEs and I got an interview from them based on my academics :smile:

As t()m said, if your PS is outstanding, Sheffield can be a good shout.

I wouldn't bother with Leicester, Newcastle or Nottingham because unfortunately you are more than likely to be rejected pre-interview.

Your ukcat score is good, but make sure you know how the different unis use it so you can use it to your advantage.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending