The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

St. Cuthbert's Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm an international student so I have never been in Durham. Do people at Parson's field who opted for part-catered have to go to Bailey for the meal?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by newway
I'm an international student so I have never been in Durham. Do people at Parson's field who opted for part-catered have to go to Bailey for the meal?

Yes- there is no canteen at Parson's field so you would have to go to the Bailey
Reply 42
Original post by Rooster523
Yes- there is no canteen at Parson's field so you would have to go to the Bailey

Thanks for the info. Although I have not yet allocated to any college(because I just received an offer about 4 days ago), I chose St Cuthbert because it offers part-catered and also en-suite at the same time. What I didn't realize was that I have to go to Bailey. Now, I think Bailey is probably my ideal choice =)
Reply 43
Is it hard to get a single room at Bailey?
My last question, How common do you see people at Parson's field opting for part-catered?
Original post by newway
Is it hard to get a single room at Bailey?
My last question, How common do you see people at Parson's field opting for part-catered?

The split between single and shared rooms on the Bailey is roughly 50/50, so I'd presume it's a 50/50 chance.

It's very common, I know of at least 30 people who use the meal package
Reply 45
Recently got the accommodation form in the post;

Regarding the 'relevant information' section, should you put smoker/non-smoker in there?
Original post by canales
Recently got the accommodation form in the post;

Regarding the 'relevant information' section, should you put smoker/non-smoker in there?

If it's something that's important to you, yes.
Hello again gang!

Just a heads up to let you know, the official Cuth's Fresher's 14-15 page is up and running. Any other page claiming to be the Cuth's Fresher's page is not affiliated to Cuth's.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cuthsfreshers2014

Cuth's- accept no imitations
Original post by ogioh
As other's have said this thread is a Godsend.

I'm pretty sure I'm at Cuth's, they e-mailed me saying I was and about the open day though i ended up not going in the end. I only have a couple of questions...

First is about preferences, earlier in the thread I think you said they're after results, but on the website FAQ and the poster a couple posts above, it mentions that you're supposed to receive a pack to list your preferences and reply to them...I have never received anything of the like? Can you clarify what the process is, or at least yours was for listing preferences? Cheers.

About nightlife, it seems like there's a good vibe in Cuth's anyway which I'm really liking the sound of, but are there any actual night clubs in Durham? They don't have to be massive ones but basically just pubs with maybe a club floor upstairs or the like if you know what I'm talking about?

Also, are there many (if any) students from Ireland/Northern Ireland there?

You receive the pack after results. Within the pack will be a sheet of paper listing the following:
Parson's Single
Parson's En-suite single
Parson's Single with meal package
Parson's En-suite single with meal package
Bailey Single
Bailey Shared

You then rank them in order of preference by putting numbers 1 through 6 next to them, so for me, my preference list looked as follows:

Parson's Single 1
Parson's En-suite single 2
Parson's Single with meal package 4
Parson's En-suite single with meal package 5
Bailey Single 3
Bailey Shared 6

My most preferred option being the single room on Parson's Field and my least preferred being in a shared room on the Bailey.

Once you've done that, pop it into the post (you should get an envelope with our address IIRC) and then wait patiently to hear your allocation...

As for the nightlife, there are several nightclubs in Durham, each with their own 'night' so you don't always have to choose one over the other. Which club is the best in Durham is a hotly debated topic because in the grand scheme of things, they're all pretty dire. However, what makes the nightlife in Durham good is that you can go to any single one of the clubs and with 97% certainty say you will bump into people that you know.

For my friendship group, our favourite club is Klute. It has been voted the worst nightclub in Europe but that doesn't bother us because it's where we all go together- for us at least, it's more about going out with good friends, than going out for a good nightclub.

And there are indeed students from Ireland/N. Ireland. I personally know 4 (2 of whom are called Adam, read into that what you will) and I met a couple on the open days so potentially, there will be a few more. Be prepared for jokes about potatoes, and question about irish cider and which place in the world does the best Guinness.

Good luck with results!
(edited 9 years ago)
A-Level results day has been and gone...

How many of you lucky souls have managed to make it?
Oh no.. I wrote an essay here and for some reason an error msg popped up and my essay is gone now...
so... here are my questions!
1. Does St Cuthberts Sociey provide bedding packs? What does it include? How much is it?

2. What size of a bed in single ensuite room is it?

3. Is Parsons Field quiet enough to study? I wouldn't want forever and ever party night every day but seems like I can't change my decision at this stage...
Hi there!

1) Cuth's only offers the chance to purchase a bedding pack if you are an international student. It includes a duvet, duvet cover, pillows, pillowcases and linen. For international students only...not sure on the price however.

2) It's a standard single bed. I'm 6'2" and my legs did not stick out the end.

3) Yes, absolutely! Cuth's (and university in general) is not a 24/7 party so you will be able to study in peace. If people do end up being too noisy at unreasonable hours, the porters are on hand to usher the revellers away!

If you have facebook, we have a group for incoming Cuth's students: https://www.facebook.com/groups/cuthsfreshers2014/
Thanks!!
I am an international student. Then would the college send me an welcome pack including this bedding packs form via email? I asked this same question to the college registration but haven't got a reply.. Anyways, thank you again! I can't wait to go to Durham :-)

Original post by Rooster523
Hi there!

1) Cuth's only offers the chance to purchase a bedding pack if you are an international student. It includes a duvet, duvet cover, pillows, pillowcases and linen. For international students only...not sure on the price however.

2) It's a standard single bed. I'm 6'2" and my legs did not stick out the end.

3) Yes, absolutely! Cuth's (and university in general) is not a 24/7 party so you will be able to study in peace. If people do end up being too noisy at unreasonable hours, the porters are on hand to usher the revellers away!

If you have facebook, we have a group for incoming Cuth's students: https://www.facebook.com/groups/cuthsfreshers2014/
Old time Cuths here, now doing my PhD.

You guys excited to join Cuths? Why did you select this college?
Scottish applicant for 2015 entry. I was just wondering, my Standard Grade results were mediocre but my Highers were AAAAB. Would my Standard Grades jeopardise my chances of getting an offer? I want to study Law at Durham and love the look of St Cuthbert's. My primary school was named after St. Cuthbert and our local church is St Cuthbert's thus influencing my attraction to this college. Not only that, it's a very, very beautiful college and I hope I have the opportunity to hold a place there next year.

My school is considered deprived.

I'm sitting 2 advanced highers in English and History and 1 higher in Modern Studies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeschichteJunge
Scottish applicant for 2015 entry. I was just wondering, my Standard Grade results were mediocre but my Highers were AAAAB. Would my Standard Grades jeopardise my chances of getting an offer? I want to study Law at Durham and love the look of St Cuthbert's. My primary school was named after St. Cuthbert and our local church is St Cuthbert's thus influencing my attraction to this college. Not only that, it's a very, very beautiful college and I hope I have the opportunity to hold a place there next year.

My school is considered deprived.

I'm sitting 2 advanced highers in English and History and 1 higher in Modern Studies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sadly have no knowledge of the admissions process at Cuth's and even less knowledge about Standards/Highers.
Thank you for all the help on this thread! I have a few questions:

1) HONESTLY, how long is the walk from Parsons to the History department?
2) Does the fact that there is no shop on site inconvenience you in any way?
3) Are there formal dinners with fancy cloaks?
Original post by Lauraalice.
Thank you for all the help on this thread! I have a few questions:

1) HONESTLY, how long is the walk from Parsons to the History department?
2) Does the fact that there is no shop on site inconvenience you in any way?
3) Are there formal dinners with fancy cloaks?

1) Honestly, it depends. History lectures aren't all in the History department. Some are a 3 minute walk away, some are 10-15.

2) No. Tesco is 10 minutes away, take a rucksack for the weekly shop and boom, problem solved. For the lazier Parson's student, the local corner shop is 5 minutes away.

3) Yes to Formal Dinners- Cuth's normally do formals fortnightly but no to fancy cloaks. You're more than welcome to wear a gown to Cuth's formals but they are by no means compulsory- in keeping with Cuth's tradition of not doing things the way everyone else does them
Reply 58
Hi- just a quick question;

What's the possibility of me being allocated a standard self catered room in Parsons Field? I won't be able to afford an ensuite or catered- only a standard in Parsons Field- and I noted that the website said that there were a small number of standard self catered rooms- is there a big possibility that I won't get one?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by cplkess
Hi- just a quick question;

What's the possibility of me being allocated a standard self catered room in Parsons Field? I won't be able to afford an ensuite or catered- only a standard in Parsons Field- and I noted that the website said that there were a small number of standard self catered rooms- is there a big possibility that I won't get one?

Thanks in advance!

Once you've applied and had an offer made, I would email the college and explain the situation- there's actually a lot of standard self catered rooms (at least 13 flats) so I'd've thought you wouldn't have that much trouble

Quick Reply

Latest