The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by muf_mur
There's no Arianne Martell casting.what does that mean?

I was looking for princess arianne, as she plays a big role. Maybe they will announce more at a later date?
The three greyjoy brothers are missing to.
Original post by Josh_Bowskill
I've recently read the first book in the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series, but I've lent out the second novel 'A Clash of Kings'. Can you get away with moving straight on to 'A Storm of Swords'?

I'm all up to date with the TV series too!

There are a lot of sub-plots the TV series misses.
Original post by wartortle
I was looking for princess arianne, as she plays a big role. Maybe they will announce more at a later date?

Unlikely. Not really spoilers but eh, can't be too careful with some people:

Spoiler

Original post by grape monster

Spoiler

Every time D and D make decisions like this they cut out a little piece of my heart :redface:.

Who wants to place bets on how many new prostitutes gonna be in this season ?
Original post by blueskyblue
Every time D and D make decisions like this they cut out a little piece of my heart :redface:.

Who wants to place bets on how many new prostitutes gonna be in this season ?

Haha, y'know how sex is a really chill thing in Dorne? I bet it gets completely warped on TV and before we know it, Dorne is basically a brothel.

First Doran and Oberyn's mom becomes a man, now Arianne. Of course we can't have strong, assertive, smart women of colour in a legitimate position of power. The sexism on this show is so unnecessary, it's like it's purposely there to troll us.
Haha, y'know how sex is a really chill thing in Dorne? I bet it gets completely warped on TV and before we know it, Dorne is basically a brothel.

First Doran and Oberyn's mom becomes a man, now Arianne. Of course we can't have strong, assertive, smart women of colour in a legitimate position of power. The sexism on this show is so unnecessary, it's like it's purposely there to troll us.

I agree with everything until you suggested sexism. I'm sure there's a legitimate reason for the decisions, D&D have a decent record with strong, independent women.

Spoiler

I can not believe they are not acting her. She is different from all the other ladies on the show. Maybe that's why they don't want her, as cersi is one to many lady in power.

I really like princess Arianne, from the book she seems much like her uncle oberyn.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by St. Brynjar
I agree with everything until you suggested sexism. I'm sure there's a legitimate reason for the decisions, D&D have a decent record with strong, independent women.

I've just had this exact conversation with someone so I'll try to keep this short:

When the changes are for story-telling purposes, then yes, it's fine. But this is rarely, if ever, the case.

When you change a character's sex from female to male and this has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, there is no legitimate reason. (For example: Oberyn's conversation with Tyrion in the cells. In ASoS he says he visited Casterly Rock with his mother, the ruling Princess of Dorne and her consort - he has no Lord father. On TV, it becomes, our Lord father [took us to Casterly Rock]. Incorrect. Why was that necessary? It may seem insignificant but the implications are massive.)

The reason the changes with Dorne bring up a massive red flag regarding sexism to me is that Dorne is known for treating men and women equally, particularly with inheritance laws. And the thing they changed pertains exactly to that. There's already the depiction on this show that making a woman more masculine (according to the typical gender roles assigned by society) makes her stronger. That or extensively sexualising them. Arianne Martell, on the other hand, has real, legitimate power. Considering how many plot lines she's relevant to, I can't think of a reason to write her off. Also, think about what motivates Arianne and now compare this to her being written off and replaced by Trystane on TV.

There's other cases I would bring up but I just don't want to go on about this too much again. If it was one or two cases for real, legitimate reasons, okay, cool. But it's not. It happens constantly.

In my head, it's like this show just doesn't value women (or "people of colour" but I do not want to get into that) like they do white men.
(edited 9 years ago)
Is it just me who feels Tyrions trial was better in the books!

Spoiler

Sorry rant over, I just think the series omits some quite good things and omits characters or replaces them, Strong Belwas anyone!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by randlemcmurphy
Strong Belwas anyone!

Strong Belwas is love, Strong Belwas is life!
Original post by Josh_Bowskill
I've recently read the first book in the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series, but I've lent out the second novel 'A Clash of Kings'. Can you get away with moving straight on to 'A Storm of Swords'?

I'm all up to date with the TV series too!

You can get away with skipping A Game of Thrones because not that much additional stuff happens (but you get a much better insight into the plots and characters). Can't skip ACoK though - so much more happens. So many characters who aren't in the show.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rashneish
Strong Belwas is love, Strong Belwas is life!

I don't think I have ever laughed as hard as I did while reading a book as I did when he had is moment, leaving him out the show was such a mistake!!
Original post by alexschmalex
I don't think I have ever laughed as hard as I did while reading a book as I did when he had is moment, leaving him out the show was such a mistake!!

I completely agree! For example because Lollys is not in the series she can't name her child "x" (<---to avoid accusations of spoiling the books), and to see Cersei's complete shock and anger! On the note of Cersei I don't really like that whole nightshade incident in Season 2, I can't believe she was actually going to kill herself and Tommen!
Reply 6473
I've just had this exact conversation with someone so I'll try to keep this short:

When the changes are for story-telling purposes, then yes, it's fine. But this is rarely, if ever, the case.

When you change a character's sex from female to male and this has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, there is no legitimate reason. (For example: Oberyn's conversation with Tyrion in the cells. In ASoS he says he visited Casterly Rock with his mother, the ruling Princess of Dorne and her consort - he has no Lord father. On TV, it becomes, our Lord father [took us to Casterly Rock]. Incorrect. Why was that necessary? It may seem insignificant but the implications are massive.)

The reason the changes with Dorne bring up a massive red flag regarding sexism to me is that Dorne is known for treating men and women equally, particularly with inheritance laws. And the thing they changed pertains exactly to that. There's already the depiction on this show that making a woman more masculine (according to the typical gender roles assigned by society) makes her stronger. That or extensively sexualising them. Arianne Martell, on the other hand, has real, legitimate power. Considering how many plot lines she's relevant to, I can't think of a reason to write her off. Also, think about what motivates Arianne and now compare this to her being written off and replaced by Trystane on TV.

There's other cases I would bring up but I just don't want to go on about this too much again. If it was one or two cases for real, legitimate reasons, okay, cool. But it's not. It happens constantly.

In my head, it's like this show just doesn't value women (or "people of colour" but I do not want to get into that) like they do white men.

Oh please give over. Arianne is a boring little slut that, much like Cersei, thinks she can outsmart people but as we saw in the books *spoiler alert* she failed miserably. I admit that I enjoyed her sex scene with that white knight guy whose name escapes me at this moment but who cares, really.

Why does the show need a strong black woman? I hate it when people demand a token black person in movies/books for the purpose of patting yourself on the shoulder for being progressive. An example was when they made rue black in the movies. I don't get it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6474
Where can I watch season 4 online?
Original post by Armin.
Oh please give over. Arianne is a boring little slut that, much like Cersei, thinks she can outsmart people but as we saw in the books *spoiler alert* she failed miserably. I admit that I enjoyed her sex scene with that white knight guy whose name escapes me at this moment but who cares, really.

Why does the show need a strong black woman? I hate it when people demand a token black person in movies/books for the purpose of patting yourself on the shoulder for being progressive. An example was when they made rue black in the movies. I don't get it.

"And most hauntingly, a twelve-year-old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that, she’s very like Prim in size and demeanor."
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by randlemcmurphy
On the note of Cersei I don't really like that whole nightshade incident in Season 2, I can't believe she was actually going to kill herself and Tommen!

To be honest I quite liked that scene, it showed just how messed up Cersei was to think that killing herself and her kid was the ultimate show of love. They added little moments like that but also took out key ones imo

Spoiler

Season 5 & Book 6 still need to come out now tho :biggrin:
Reply 6477
Original post by King Hotpie
"And most hauntingly, a twelve-year-old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that, she’s very like Prim in size and demeanor."

I admit you got me there. I haven't read the books but the fan backlash at the casting for that character is something which I remember last year.

It takes a big man to admit he is wrong and even a bigger one to keep his mouth shut when he is right right.
-Jim Fiebig
Original post by blue_
Where can I watch season 4 online?

http://www.rainiertamayo.com/game-of-thrones

Enjoy! :smile:
Sorry if already posted but this made me giggle

Latest