The Student Room Group

Hearthstone

Scroll to see replies

It's is amazing how much that card can mess things up if not removed.

6 mana leeroy.

3 mana flame imp, hell all of zoo, defender of argus, shattered sun cleric, doomguard.

5 mana earthen ring.

7 mana azure drake.

Like every deck pretty much runs important battlecry minions, and if you can't remove this then you're in trouble.
Enjoying Naxx so far :yep: waited for the lag to subside then jumped back in, made it through the first three games simply enough with my Super Control Priest for the spiders and an aggro Pally for Faerlina (a deck with so much late game does not fare well against that hero power :lolwut:). The class challenges were fairly straightforward too. The heroic mode is definitely a lot more work. Made it past boss #1 with a heal heavy control pally after a couple of games of trial and error, but Faerlina was a major pain with those Acolytes on steroids! Then I decided to throw together a Murlock deck and it went pretty easily once I'd dumped my whole hand. Didn't have chance to try the final boss but will try the Priest again for fun then probably move over to a Charge-heavy Warrior to counteract the constant bouncing.

How's everyone else finding it?
I enjoyed what's there.

The heroic modes are fun if you don't just go full gimmick on them, but the last boss especially is susceptible to heavy gimmick stuff. Although I think that's part of the point?
Alexstrasza makes it all so easy. :biggrin:
Hmm, won each game first try lol

Anub'rekhan got me lowest, around 8hp when I killed him, whilst Faerlina had the diciest mid-game with her hero power (I was playing control warrior for all three games). Pretty fun, all in all! Brings back awesome memories of raiding Naxx in WoW as well :love:
Just finished Heroic Maexxana to complete the wing (could have sworn there was another card reward for that, must have been wrong :erm:) using another heal heavy Paladin with a lot of added charge. Managed to luck out with Consecrate filling the board with 1/1s on T4 and stopping anything else being played, negating their damage with the 2 mana +6 heal spell and Guardian of Kings until T9 and T10 when I could just cycle GoK and Bluegill/Wolf Rider and only lose a 1HP per turn. Having checked Reddit it seems to be similar to most of the popular non-Alex strategies, so it looks like Blizzard shot themselves in the foot with this one by making the hero ability auto-cast!

Quite happy with the difficulty curve, high enough that it takes a bit of effort and a few deck revisions if you don't want to netdeck but not so difficult that you want to tear your hair out.
You get a card back for completing ALL wings on heroic.
Original post by cambo211
I enjoyed what's there.

The heroic modes are fun if you don't just go full gimmick on them, but the last boss especially is susceptible to heavy gimmick stuff. Although I think that's part of the point?

The way I interpreted the heroic mode description about numerous deck revisions was that the objective was to adjust your deck via trial and error until you'd tweaked the strategy to precisely beat the boss in question. That's how I did it, so slowly getting more heal heavy vs Heroic Narub, needing a deck to dump my hand quickly and elimiate Acolytes vs Faerlina, and realising Maexxna could be beaten by cycling Heal/Charge minions and filling the board with useless 1/1s to minimise the amount of heavy stuff. They're not decks that would work against any other boss (or player!) but I wouldn't say they were explicitly gimmicky because the arose from a somewhat more careful thought process.

You get a card back for completing ALL wings on heroic.

Ohh yeah, remember now :ahee:
i was two wins from legend rank then i tilted :|
Hearing you talking about this a bunch and finding out it was free, I decided to play it completely blind! I'm hoping to load up my play footage today, but thanks boogie for introducing me to this game. Probably should have watched this first, but i feel my reactions were funny enough without knowing what to expect.
If anyone wants easy wins my battle net is: overworked#2453

Just started, I've watched people like TB and Trump so much that I know like semi-decent decks but I never realised just how lacking starting decks are until I started.

I have massive weaknesses unless I get lucky and start off well.
Finally gotten around to the Plague Quarter after going away last week. Didn't have much trouble with the standard bosses or class challenges, and the Hunter challenge is very fun to go back and replay. Just beat Heroic Noth with a spell heavy Hunter with UTH/Timber Wolf/Kill Command finisher which worked out quite nicely, will try the other two in the morning :h:
Does anyone else find the solo adventures too easy? :/

The first expansion I lost quite a few times on the first battle because I was getting used to it. But it didn't take long to beat the other two. The second one I did first time and the boss took a maybe 3 attempts?

Anyone I only started playing the second expansion just now, I won the first two battles first time and am yet to fight the boss.

Anyone else think it's a little too easy? :/
Original post by xmertic
Does anyone else find the solo adventures too easy? :/

The first expansion I lost quite a few times on the first battle because I was getting used to it. But it didn't take long to beat the other two. The second one I did first time and the boss took a maybe 3 attempts?

Anyone I only started playing the second expansion just now, I won the first two battles first time and am yet to fight the boss.

Anyone else think it's a little too easy? :/

Going to merge this with the main HS thread to keep discussion central :h:

But yeah, I think things like this are a difficult balance to strike for a few reasons;

*It's never going to be easy to make it accessible yet challenging enough for casual players and difficult enough for experienced players in a single game mode while making it enjoyable for both. I think they've done well in that if you're playing with your own decks you are going to have to think about it and tweak your decks over a couple of attempts, but for a decently skilled player using competitive decks it's pretty simple to steamroll through. For example my boss at work loves the game as an avid WoW player but it took him well into the second week of Naxx to get through the three standard Arachnid Quarter bosses and is loving the challenge, whereas so far I've made it through everything with my own decks without having to have more than four or five attempts at any point.

*Implementing different difficulty levels is more difficult for card games, unlike other games which even on a basic level can put your health/damage or enemy health/damage on a slider. Heroic Mode is a decent way of solving this but obviously involves making changes to the cards/deck/hero power themselves rather than just laterally scaling up the pre-existing deck for a larger range of difficulty levels. I think Heroic is pretty solid in terms of difficulty level for people who don't netdeck, but I'm by no means a high level player so others may still find it childsplay.

*AI in virtually every card game has a reputation of being crap. Of the online TCGs I've played the single player modes have all ranged from semi-competent to borderline lobotomised. Gothik, for example, seems to have a habit of using Corruption on minions he proceeds to kill anyway or even cast Corruption, Mass Dispel and Corruption again. So to get around this it's either a case of increasing the AI quality, which is difficult, or increase the power of the tools the AI has at its disposal, which is easier but again needs to be carefully balanced.
Heroics in the Military Quarter are really difficult, done them though. :P
I thought the heroics this week were even easier than last weeks.

Out of curiosity what decks and cards did you use then?

Haven't been bothered to do this weeks yet, done the rest though Noth has to be the hardest one plague so op :frown:
Easiest wing so far, still quite fun though. Plus getting two legendaries is nice and Warlock shenanigans are extra fun.
Hearthstone_Screenshot_8.13.2014.12.07.40.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Yep, this deck is definitely fun.

(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest