The Student Room Group

Did TSR influence your uni decision/place?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leinad2012
That sounds cool, the offers A*AAa and I've got no clue what I've got; on good days I think A*A*Aa on others AABa so can't say I'm looking forward to results day!

Ooooo, good luck.

If you want info on adjustment places if you do well or clearing places if not so well you can sign up on TSR for special emails atm from the universities.

Also, if you need any help come here on results day and TSR will sort you out. :smile: Applications and UCAS forum is the place to be that day.
Reply 81
Original post by Motorbiker
Which one of the five are you going to?

There's also a lot of love for "Russel Group" unis since there's a lot more people there then at oxbridge .

:console: What did you hate about warwick? Maybe this post will influence others. who knows..

Why did you choose Sheffield? How did you pick them? did you ever look at our Uni of Sheffield Guide? (we have one for most unis i think)

There were lots of things I hated about Warwick. My course and the way it was structured. The location. The 'bubble' atmosphere. The crappy SU.

I liked the sound of the course and the way it was structured. I went there, met with the department and also spoke to some students. I then spent the day in Sheffield and fell in love really. From my experience at Warwick, I knew what I didn't like and what I was missing so I knew exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't really influenced by TSR in choosing Sheffield. After I visited, I had a look at some Sheffield threads which mostly confirmed what I had seen there when I visited. So I guess in a small way.

I think that TSR is a great tool for those who are unsure of everything from how and where to apply, to what factors to consider when actualy choosing your firm.
Reply 82
I only had two choices: Sheffield or SOAS, so… not really, I guess? This was three of four years ago, but I didn't like the vibe I got from some of the Sheffield students/their advice to applicants/their opinion on A-level grades, and SOAS offered classes I was more interested in. I also didn't really like the year abroad option(s). However, the year I applied, Sheffield added Advanced Highers to the requirements for Scottish students (and removed it in subsequent years!), so the choice was made for me, in the end, and I don't have any regrets. I love SOAS. :cute:

If I'd applied for a different subject I would have found TSR a good way for assessing the things not obvious from open days/website/course outlines.
Original post by alone-in-kyoto
I go to St Andrews, but not all of the universities I applied to were at the same level because I was under the impression that if I hadn't achieved straight A's since I was in nappies then I wouldn't have a shot, which quite clearly isn't true at all.

The self-important ********s have been on TSR as long as I have :frown:
Reply 84
[video="youtube;2jAbWws842E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jAbWws842E[/video]
I only signed up to TSR after an open day at a university that i'd already decided i wanted to go to...

But lots of people sign up during As levels/GCSEs and ask TSR where they should go and why and use the information on the uni profiles on here to help.

I'd be interested to hear your stories in if TSR influenced where you ended up and how?

Did you get personal statement advice?
Did you come on results day and talk to our highly trained UCAS advisers?
Did you start a thread on "where should i study X?"?

The only thing which influenced my choice was the video attached above. I could have gone to UCL, Nottingham (first choice), KCL or Royal Holloway (insurance choice incase I buggered up at the last moment in final module exams).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PQ
The self-important ********s have been on TSR as long as I have :frown:

Oooo, as you're here. :wink:

Planning on updating your awesome results day flowchart? It does not include anything on adjustment and it would be even more awesome if it did.

Original post by Mansun
[video="youtube;2jAbWws842E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jAbWws842E[/video]

The only thing which influenced my choice was the video attached above. I could have gone to UCL, Nottingham (first choice), KCL or Royal Holloway (insurance choice incase I buggered up at the last moment in final module exams).

Did you at least see that video on TSR? :tongue:
Reply 86

Did you at least see that video on TSR? :tongue:

No, I must confess it came from videos, and more recently, Youtube. But I am a a graduate has-been for a while now. TSR came along just after I graduated. But I have done posgraduate studies at Birkbeck recently part time, and have thought about an MSc or PhD at Durham or Imperial.
Reply 87
To be honest all tsr did was make people feel like poo for not getting into Oxbridge.
Reply 88
Original post by kumon
To be honest all tsr did was make people feel like poo for not getting into Oxbridge.

Students in recent years definitely place a lot of emphasis on league tables, when really they should be looking at the overall uni reputation and cultural fit. E.g. UCL vs Durham was discussed on TSR, some said an international student from Malaysia would be better off at UCL, and I agree, as the cultural fit would be better. Durham, well it still seems like an annexation to Oxbridge in the minds of the students go have studied there. When I started way back in 2002, Nottingham was ranked 9th by the Times, Durham was around 17th, even UCL was 12th. But regardless of worthless rankings, tradition always prevails.
"If I can imagine myself staying at this university for three years,its the right one for me," that's what I kept telling myself.

I think open days played a huge part in selecting my choice of institution. I think TSR is a fantastic tool for researching universities.
(edited 9 years ago)
With my AS scores, I would have applied to Cambridge anyway. TSR played a large role in my other two choices of LSE and UCL.

But I probably only got the scores I did because I'd been on here and seen how good some people were/ how important university choice can be for legal careers, etc.

So I think I benefited quite a lot from the academic environment on here. I also found the PS service very helpful.

Original post by kumon

Probably basically this, but that played a part in spurring me on to get into Oxbridge, so I'm quite happy about it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Kiiiiiind of....

I certainly came here to find about student info and experiences as well as typical entry requirements for different universities. Also because of the nature of the site, I got a good idea of people's impressions on different universities and courses.

In terms of actually deciding on my five choices, however, that was pretty much down to open days and looking at university websites
Reply 92
Original post by Coffeetime
I originally joined the American equivalent of TSR, but I found the people on there to be incredibly rude. I was thrilled to find TSR. I can't say my choices are based on anything specific, but since I can't visit, I rely a lot on other users.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the American version of TSR?
Original post by Alleykat606
In terms of actually deciding on my five choices, however, that was pretty much down to open days and looking at university websites

All the best advice on TSR should be encouraging you to make up your own mind anyway :biggrin:

Anyone who has actually been to a uni will know that what suits one person could be hell on earth to someone else.
Reply 94
TSR made me feel bad about my firm choice for a while. I chose an ex-polytechnic university, which seems to be on a par with worshipping the devil by TSR's standards. But the course offered there is perfect for me, the staff are really engaging, the facilities are second-to-none and they seemed very switched on about preparing their students for future careers through work placements etc. I was far more impressed with them than I was with some of the more traditional universities I looked at. So it was really the open days that helped me decide :smile:.

I did find TSR very useful when I was writing my personal statement. I was applying as an individual, not through a school, so I had no-one to give me advice as to what I should write. Being able to compare my statement with other biomed applicants was very helpful.
Original post by (Tom)
What's the American version of TSR?

They were referring to http://www.collegeconfidential.com/ I replied saying it's not actually linked to TSR and we have our own subforum for study in north America.
They were referring to http://www.collegeconfidential.com/ I replied saying it's not actually linked to TSR and we have our own subforum for study in north America.

I don't think I said it was related? Maybe I did. Haha. But I think that was how I was referred to TSR.
Not in the slightest!
What type of tips did you get?

Are you doing like a survey or something?
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Are you doing like a survey or something?

Nah, i'm just genuinely interested. I joined up to the site a bit late so missed a lot of cool stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest