The Student Room Group

Journey to become an RAF officer

Scroll to see replies

The Harrier engine got incredibly hot in the hover. They sprayed de-ionised water into the intake to force cooling. They only carried so much water and the blades could only take that abuse for a short time before needing to be replaced. It also uses more fuel. So, lots of reasons not to use vertical and to try and use short unless really necessary.
Reply 41
Original post by ProStacker
The Harrier engine got incredibly hot in the hover. They sprayed de-ionised water into the intake to force cooling. They only carried so much water and the blades could only take that abuse for a short time before needing to be replaced. It also uses more fuel. So, lots of reasons not to use vertical and to try and use short unless really necessary.

So pretty good in the ambient air temperature in the Falklands, but not likely to be too great operating in the Middle East.
Reply 42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxDSiwqM2nw

Seems to exaggerate his criticisms, but was an interesting watch.

----

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28257349

No F35 at Fairford
(edited 9 years ago)
Opts, this seems like a fantastic blog of your progress and possibly gives others preparing a right kick up the ar*e with their revision... no idea who!

Keep going with your fitness and you will get there - I have my OASC Board booked mid August and completed a 1.5 mile run in 8:40 today with 45 sit-ups and 35 press ups, strange as I normally do better with press ups but have been working on my abs quite a lot recently.

On the current affairs side of things, it certainly seems like you are very clued up and will perform well in that part of the interview.

Good luck, and I look forward to keeping up to date with this blog.
Reply 44
Original post by stuartm010
Opts, this seems like a fantastic blog of your progress and possibly gives others preparing a right kick up the ar*e with their revision... no idea who!

Keep going with your fitness and you will get there - I have my OASC Board booked mid August and completed a 1.5 mile run in 8:40 today with 45 sit-ups and 35 press ups, strange as I normally do better with press ups but have been working on my abs quite a lot recently.

On the current affairs side of things, it certainly seems like you are very clued up and will perform well in that part of the interview.

8:40 on the run is fantastic. I think I'm pretty fit, can capably run 10 miles having completed a half marathon in May. Can do the 1.5mile in round about 9:20 on the road - however only just getting inside 10 mins on the treadmill. Just find them bloody difficult ha, need to work on technique.

Been doing a lot of speed work and circuits this last couple of week at the local football fields, 2 pitches side by side. I use the 4 x goals as a square. I sprint the length of the pitch, do pull ups on the cross bar, walk to the next goal, do max press ups - jog to the next goal, do max crunches / a plank, then jog back to the start. Repeat x 5 and time it all / voice record my max pull ups / press ups / sit ups and make a log at home.

Been pretty handy so far, can just about do the 20 press ups with strict form - but making progress which is pretty important, hoping to be able to do 30 by OASC.
(edited 9 years ago)
Sounds like your personally made circuit should work out pretty well in terms of improvement. 20 press ups with strict form is definitely a good way to go, I'd say you will be on the road to achieving 40+ before OASC (Light Blue).

I saw your list of current affairs, but have you chosen six specific items of news for Worldwide and UK current affairs, if so what have you chosen? Perhaps we could discuss some of them on here which could bring out some interesting opinions?

Christ alive, 8:40? Just goes to show no matter how good you think you are, there's always someone better- top run there chap
Had a pair of genetic freaks on my IOT who raced each other to sub 8 minute times regularly. It was obscene, frankly.
Original post by Rooster523
Christ alive, 8:40? Just goes to show no matter how good you think you are, there's always someone better- top run there chap

Thanks, if only my run alone could get me through OASC! I strongly believe that they should allow everyone the chance to complete the fitness test and interview at OASC without being cut (like both the Army and Navy do), this would give them a chance to make up considerable marks with their fitness where they might not have been quite as strong in other tasks.
this would give them a chance to make up considerable marks with their fitness where they might not have been quite as strong in other tasks.

You can be as fit as you like, but if you've not got the leadership potential, you'll end up a fit liability. I'd rather work for a clever lazy boss than a stupid energetic one.
Reply 50
Sounds like your personally made circuit should work out pretty well in terms of improvement. 20 press ups with strict form is definitely a good way to go, I'd say you will be on the road to achieving 40+ before OASC (Light Blue).

I saw your list of current affairs, but have you chosen six specific items of news for Worldwide and UK current affairs, if so what have you chosen? Perhaps we could discuss some of them on here which could bring out some interesting opinions?

World:

Middle East / Asia:
1)Iraq / Isis
2)Syria
3)Gaza / Palestine
4)Afghan

Europe:
1)Ukraine
-1.1: MH17
2)EU elections, Juncker

Africa:
1) Boko Haram
2) Libya
3) Pistorius

Australia:
1)MH370

USA:
1)US / China spy row (+ NSA, Snowden + spying in Germany)
2)Bowe Bergdahl

UK:
1)Scot Ref
2)Emergency data laws
3)Yewtree
4)Chinese trade links
5)Phone hacking scandal
6)Cabinet reshuffle

Obviously the big ones I know in depth and others, such as Pistorius / MH370 are good in my opinion for a bit of diversity.

Feel free to strike up any discussion with me over pm, would be mutually beneficial I believe.
(edited 9 years ago)
I always get flamed for saying this but for an admin role in the RAF there really is no need to go mad on the fitness. It is not the Royal Marines.
Original post by Old_Simon
I always get flamed for saying this but for an admin role in the RAF there really is no need to go mad on the fitness. It is not the Royal Marines.

Probably because it's not very good advice. Phase 1 training, be it basic training or IOT, places demands upon the individual. Many of these demands are physical or related to physical. The fitter you are on starting training, the less you have to worry about. While it might not be 'easier' for you, it will certainly be less hard.

Anyone entering any branch of the military should try to be as fit as they can be.

People can play to their strengths and thus concentrate on other things.

I was kind of in the middle when it came to fitness, but I noticed guys who were borderline fit would find it a lot harder to maintain the level of alertness and momentum after a hard slog in the gym or a long run. It would be those guys who would fall asleep in lectures and who would miss parade times or be pulled up in inspections for silly things; simply because they haven't got the endurance to smash a battle PT session in the middle of the day, amongst the standard daily routine, and then stay up all night cleaning and ironing for the inspection the next day.

If you're a natural born academic or an ace ironer or polisher then maybe not being as fit might not be such a big deal, but phys is so easy to attain that there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't try and give yourself every advantage. Especially if it means you can help out your oppo who isn't as fit or on the ball as you.

Having a higher level of fitness is only ever going to be beneficial, and I can't see that anyone would be spending hours and hours per day on fitness and not using their time wisely revising other necessary information.

Original post by ProStacker
You can be as fit as you like, but if you've not got the leadership potential, you'll end up a fit liability. I'd rather work for a clever lazy boss than a stupid energetic one.

Of course I completely agree that you certainly need a base level of leadership potential, but somebody who might be a mark or two short in the exercises phase could make it up in the fitness test and interview - which I believe is the case for a highly competitive aptitude test score? I might be wrong. If this isn't the case, then why do the Army and Navy do it with their equivalent Officer Selection Centres? I'm certainly not saying that fitness should be the only element assessed.

Opts, I will PM you later tonight to discuss some of the current affairs.
Reply 55
Any update on your application Opts?
Reply 56
Original post by F35-LII
Any update on your application Opts?

Just sitting around waiting for the bureaucratic nightmare that is Capita. On the flip side though, I injured my groin quite badly playing hockey, so I doubt I'd have been able to do too well on the fitness test. Just getting back into the swing of things now.

Knowledge-wise, I'm feeling pretty good though!
Reply 57
Oh ok so which Branch were you going for again and what parts of the application have you gone through? Been to Cranwell yet?
Reply 58
Original post by F35-LII
Oh ok so which Branch were you going for again and what parts of the application have you gone through? Been to Cranwell yet?

Logistics, so no Cranwell necessary until OASC. I passed my filter about ~6 weeks ago, and had my first medical a month ago this Thursday. My GP is being an absolute pain in the arse digging up old medical records for me, which in no way effect my day to day life now (a broken leg when I was 7!)

I chase them up daily, and I think - (fingers crossed) - that this will be sorted out this week.
Feeling the pain. I just got the phone call that capita have processed my medical notes I had to send them. My medical was at the end of July.
God I hate capita.

To get the notes I required, I just spoke to the secretary in the surgery, requested they just photocopy all the relevant pages. I had to pay like £5, and they had them ready 3 days later. I sent them direct to capita.

Quick Reply

Latest