The Student Room Group

Could I be pregnant

Three weeks ago I had sex without condoms, I am on the pill but I'm bad at taking it. I was due to come onto my period a couple of days later anyway but it was a lot lighter and only lasted 2 days rather than the usual 4-5 days. I took a pregnancy test 18 days after sex and it was negative, was it too early to take a test? Its now been 23 days since sex and I'm getting nausea, sore boobs, abdominal cramps frequent tiredness and increased discharge.
Please help!
There's a chance you could be pregnant, yes. Take another test, and if that doesn't put your mind at rest go and see your GP.
Reply 2
Even though I havent completed my medium skills yet, I would advice you to get a Pregnacy test. I assume that this is the best way to find out. Do not be embarrased, there is nothing to fear for. If you are too shy just ask one of your close ones to get you one... Its probably nothing love dont worry.
Original post by fashion1
Three weeks ago I had sex without condoms, I am on the pill but I'm bad at taking it. I was due to come onto my period a couple of days later anyway but it was a lot lighter and only lasted 2 days rather than the usual 4-5 days. I took a pregnancy test 18 days after sex and it was negative, was it too early to take a test? Its now been 23 days since sex and I'm getting nausea, sore boobs, abdominal cramps frequent tiredness and increased discharge.
Please help!

You're probably just stresssed out and think youre pregnant thats why you are getting the symptoms but just in case make an appointment with the GP or take another test in a week or so.
How would we know? Just take another test.
Are you sure these aren't just the symptoms of you being close to being on your period again? I don't think you're pregnant because it most likely wouldve come up on the test and you wouldn't have had your last period. But I'm not a doctor, so I would redo a pregnancy test or see a doc :smile:
a pregnancy test would be pretty accurate after 18 days, and definitely would be accurate now so if you're worried take another one quickly. Maybe pop to the doctors for your other symptoms but some of those are actually side effects of being on the pill. Especially if you haven't been taking properly, as you really need to take it every day otherwise it screws your system up (speaking from experience!)
Did you have your period after having unprotected sex? Even if it was lighter, it still counts as a period. If so, you probably have nothing to worry about, but definitely just get a test to put your mind at ease.
Reply 8
Original post by tania<3
Did you have your period after having unprotected sex? Even if it was lighter, it still counts as a period. If so, you probably have nothing to worry about, but definitely just get a test to put your mind at ease.

yeah, it was a few days later.
Reply 9
If you're female, fertile and had sex, there is always a chance you could be pregnant. The fact that you didn't use a condom and aren't great at remembering the pill increases that chance.
Get a pregnancy test - if you get one at a clinic I think it's free - and put your mind at ease. You might also want to consider changing contraceptive method to avoid this fear in the future if you really struggle to remember to take the pill. Not only could you end up with a difficult decision to make over one instance of forgetfulness, you could also end up forcing a guy to pay for a child he thought he would never end up having.
Reply 10
Original post by JackBlack
Are you sure these aren't just the symptoms of you being close to being on your period again? I don't think you're pregnant because it most likely wouldve come up on the test and you wouldn't have had your last period. But I'm not a doctor, so I would redo a pregnancy test or see a doc :smile:

It would not 'most likely' have come up on the test if she took it too early. The NHS website says 21 days. She took it after 18.
Original post by Ronove
It would not 'most likely' have come up on the test if she took it too early. The NHS website says 21 days. She took it after 18.

Like I said, I'm not a doc :smile: but thanks for letting me know
Original post by tania<3

light bleeding few days after sex could be implantation.

See above.

If I were you I'd test again just to get peace of mind.

What day in your menstrual cycle did you actually have sex? And what day did your period come on?
Original post by donutaud15
light bleeding few days after sex could be implantation.

See above.

If I were you I'd test again just to get peace of mind.

Could be, ofcourse it's impossible to tell without a full history and stuff, but the timing of it seems to point at it being unlikely

Quick Reply

Latest